Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So am I and can't help wondering what was so sack worthy about Campo's behaviour. It wasn't just his longevity.

That and really, he's a key player in the disaster that is the past few years. Well that and he also is a s**t coach.

He should have been gone about 5-6 years ago.

Looks like Godden, Mattner and Hart stay. 😳

He's on a hiding to nothing if that's his support crew.

We need to at least replace Hart and Campo.

So am I and can't help wondering what was so sack worthy about Campo's behaviour. It wasn't just his longevity.
A dysfunctional midfield. A refusal to adapt or change structures in game to combat opposition dominance in skirmishes. A refusal too tag. Playing favourites with senior players. Alienating developing players with no, poor or overly negative feedback

It was time for him to go

So who is excited for next year now that we have cut a large chunk of the tumor out?

In your understanding, is the partial removal of cancerous cells often successful as a cure?

Look i don't have anything against the guy

I wish him all the best

But i'm not going to get giddy, i'll wait to see results, and i don't just mean wins, i mean kids getting games when they've earned them

It's not about the wins

I just can't trust him while Roo and Chapman are still there.

So it's meh from me, but i could be won over.

I think I'm jaded from the organisation, not the coach, and it's manifesting against the coach

hmmm

I'm not going to make any big calls about it- I don't really know him enough and it's kind of a 'let's judge on the results' situation (if only our club ever did the same).

Still his resume doesn't exactly knock me dead, part of me is deeply concerned about trying to pick fruit from the Ken Hinkley coaching tree...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just watched the full press interview. Fair to say I felt pretty ambivalent about the coaches that were being interviewed as reported by the media and on BF.

I thought the interview revealed him as an ok speaker (not the vanilla I was expecting), and thought he was saying all the right things. I'm looking forward to seeing him trying to implement

Good to see a number of senior players at the presser in the background. Tex, Talia, Smith etc.

Last edited:
Tbh I think we need to forget Nicks was an assistant at Port, and focus on his one year at GWS, Before this year GWS were soft as butter not two way runners, This year complete opposite especially in the finals bar the grand final where they weren't at full strength.

Think we will play with some agression next year.

Part of the difficulty in assessing now is that we have absolutely no idea what his strengths are. What is often 'reported' with coaches bares little relation to reality.

I mean, people were hyping Pyke as a master strategist when we got him- and he turned out to be pretty dud like in that regard.

Tbh I think we need to forget Nicks was an assistant at Port, and focus on his one year at GWS, Before this year GWS were soft as butter not two way runners, This year complete opposite especially in the finals bar the grand final where they weren't at full strength.

Think we will play with some agression next year.

Why would anyone ignore 8/9ths of a sample size to focus on just one?

I think a lot of people SAY that they are willing to be patient through a rebuild, but don't actually know what it takes. We never have, really. We're going to need patience.

If we lose our first 3 games next year it will be the real test for our fanbase. Clarkson lost 6 of his first 7 matches and went 14W 30 losses in his first two seasons at Hawthorn.

I think a lot of people SAY that they are willing to be patient through a rebuild, but don't actually know what it takes. We never have, really. We're going to need patience.

If we lose our first 3 games next year it will be the real test for our fanbase. Clarkson lost 6 of his first 7 matches and went 14W 30 losses in his first two seasons at Hawthorn.

The difficulty with calls for patience is that there's absolutely no reason to have faith that our club either has a plan, if it did that it would be the right one, and if it did and it was could implement it.

Patience for its own sake is just inaction.

The difficulty with calls for patience is that there's absolutely no reason to have faith that our club either has a plan, if it did that it would be the right one, and if it did and it was could implement it.

Patience for its own sake is just inaction.

Of course. But you can't suggest we haven't acted in the last 2 months.

Of course. But you can't suggest we haven't acted in the last 2 months.

Out of desire for improvement or self preservation for what remains? Hart is still our forward line coach ffs.

We havent conducted structural changes. The rot at the heart of our club will remain until we have structures that require accountability.

A bit too positive in his assessment of the club and list for me. I don't actually think we have a great list or a great club at the moment. I'm not expecting him to bag the club in anyway, but to make it sound like everything is great, makes me wonder what the panel was looking for.

I wished he had something critical to say to be honest.

Slightly too Kumbaya, let's all be mates and everything will look after itself.

I know I'm being very critical and it's just one press conference, his first press conference as coach, but this was just my initial reaction to his press conference.

Ultimately talk is cheap and the results on field will be what counts.

Hard to get excited about Nicks. But many a senior coaching career has started similarly underwhelmingly. And plenty of big name signings have bombed spectacularly. Impossible to say what he's capable of. Senior coaches are particularly hard to predict but I'd say these days they always have strong teams around them. Our footy ops manager is going to be very significant for Nicks. If we go bargain basement from here, he's toast. This is the year to shake it all loose. Keeping Hart? * that. Godden, dunno. Mattner maybe. Need a killer footy manager and at least one change in assistants. Or we'll be back here 3 years from now.

Is the Nicks appointment a shrewd one or just one to appease the warring parties ??

Certainly comes across as level-headed and "no-fuss" but he will have his trainer wheels on, very interested to see how the remainder of the coaching panel gets assembled from here.

Was the Teague appointment a shrewd one or just one to appease the fans and players?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back