Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That he's been able to do it without the boost on field wins provide is interesting. Usually coaches who get early buy in (Primus, Sanderson, Rhyce Shaw...) do it off a few start up wins and the substance isn't revealed until later.

What Nicks hasn't had to deal with yet is expectation. We aren't expected to win and aren't so a poor performance raises no questions.

What will the internal and external expectations be on us next season?

Both Pyke and Nicks are lucky, but in different respects. Pyke left with a better than normal sacked coach record because he inherited an incredibly unified group that had won an away final the previous year. Then after the players failed his perfect coaching he went on to totally destroy the group and their trust in the club over his final 2 seasons.

Nicks is the beneficiary of picking up a group from as low, if not the lowest, position in the modern era. A spoon and what looks like a bottom 5 finish washes away any questions as to whether he can make the right decisions get 22 players to win enough games to contend. As long as it looks like the group is happy within themselves anf with Admin, he gets a pass. But metrics do change and just because he's not currently being tested, as Pyke originally wasn't, he will be if we're generating just as few wins next year.

I've had 3 legitimate pieces of inside info from the club. First was regarding Trigg and those sanctions, second was Mrouch last extension (30 minutes prior to announcement, so from a drone from Sector 7G) and the 3rd, a few weeks ago, is that Nicks spends A LOT of time up and around the admin part of the club. He's definitely a relationships person, but at some point, you're going to be judged on wins and losses.

I don't think we're going to agree even so.

I mean the amount of youth that's run through this side in the past 18 months, no man in his right mind would believe we are making finals. Sure you can say it publicly (which Nicks has never done BTW) but I'd be absolutely staggered if he believed we are a finals footy side.

Now yes we are playing senior guys, but in every proper rebuild you do. Mackay being the glaring exception, each senior player is contributing positively to the side.

Also, if we were really thinking we're a finals side, then Tex wouldn't be missing this week, nor would he have missed earlier.

Brown wasn't and Sloane's 20 as a midfielder is nowhere near up to scratch and now playing with a screwed finger. And Tex needed that rest, if you'd tracked his performance, you'd have seen he was running on fumes. They knew not pkaying him in that condition in Perth against the Eagles wouldn't cost them 4 points. Resting him for a certain loss isn't a point in your favour and nor is not pkaying him too injured to perform with the neck and chest strains.

That will take it to 10 Wins and 29 Losses.
The last wooden spooner to win a flag was West Coast 2010 spoon - 2018 flag.
The longest of roads ahead, you have to doubt Nicks will be at the helm when we are in it with a chance.

Brisbane could very easily smash that record this season.
They are the template we should be following.

Brisbane's was a long rebuild, but when they went up they went quick.

It's a bit easier to go from spoon to flag when you have many prior seasons in the bottom 4 to build your squad

They're a completely different outfit under Fagan to be fair.

The parallels are there with Nicks for the first two seasons... so far.

(As much as Purple would like to tell you it's actually North and Brisbane that are similar trajectories)

When do you think Adelaide will become competitive again (Top4)?

All goes to plan, somewhere between 2024-26?

We're really waiting on the young core to get to 70+ games before that happens.

Next to no chance Nicks is at the helm then you'd reckon.
Although his mastery of the bullshitting is quite the phenomenon.

He's got two top-4 scalps this year with a shocking list. The dude can clearly coach.

There are teams in the 8 with much better lists with 0 scalps this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's got two top-4 scalps this year with a shocking list. The dude can clearly coach.

We sure hope he can. Do you see many more players being cleared out at the end of the season?

They're a completely different outfit under Fagan to be fair.

The parallels are there with Nicks for the first two seasons... so far.

(As much as Purple would like to tell you it's actually North and Brisbane that are similar trajectories)

While that's true, Brisbane obtained one of their best midfielders (McCluggage), their best defender (Andrews) and best tall forward (Hipwood) in the years before Fagan arrived (plus a few other handy players)

Brisbane also didn't/won't run into the issue we have, which is that several of our best players are right at the end of their careers

And then we'd also have to bank on being able to recruit a Brownlow medal winning midfielder, the best small forward in the competition and grab a key forward as a free agent all while smashing the draft.

It's a tough ask

IMO we'll be making the 8 from 2023 .....contending 2025, but a lot of water to go under the bridge on the latter prediction

While that's true, Brisbane obtained one of their best midfielders (McCluggage), their best defender (Andrews) and best tall forward (Hipwood) in the years before Fagan arrived (plus a few other handy players)

Brisbane also didn't/won't run into the issue we have, which is that several of our best players are right at the end of their careers

And then we'd also have to bank on being able to recruit a Brownlow medal winning midfielder, the best small forward in the competition and grab a key forward as a free agent all while smashing the draft.

It's a tough ask
We did grab the best small forward of the era once upon a time.

But yeah it's very rare that all a clubs ducks lineup in a row.

We sure hope he can. Do you see many more players being cleared out at the end of the season?

I have 6-7 players going from this point looking at our OOC list. Crouch, Lynch, Kelly, Mackay, Davis, Strachan and maayyybbeee Talia. Though, if I had to guess, we'll retain Talia.

I have 6-7 players going from this point looking at our OOC list. Crouch, Lynch, Kelly, Mackay, Davis, Strachan and maayyybbeee Talia. Though, if I had to guess, we'll retain Talia.
Strachan will be retained as a backup ruck ......good backup, Thilthorpe not ready

Davis, Mackay, Lynch ....yes I can see going ....Lynch being retained in a development capacity at the club

Can see us only taking 3-4 picks in this Draft .....not factoring in any trades

When do you think Adelaide will become competitive again (Top4)?
I'm a bit more pessimistic. I look at Melbourne, Bulldogs, Geelong and Brisbane and I see top end talent all over the ground with all those teams. I just don't see that with Adelaide's list. I think our youngsters will develop enough to get us into the bottom half of the eight but that's it. Really not much different to the last twenty years.

Watch CARL go at a million miles an hour .....after they've morally committed to Teague ....but we're talking CARL here

Can't see COLL being a good fit ..... Suns, GWS, and CARL the most likely
Clarkson will never go to the suns. Will also never go to Collingwood as he doesn't get on with Graham Wright at all apparently. I doubt he would ever go to Carlton who seem like they are about to sack everyone except for there dud coach Teague. The best fit for Clarkson would be us or West Coast imo.

Clarkson will never go to the suns. Will also never go to Collingwood as he doesn't get on with Graham Wright at all apparently. I doubt he would ever go to Carlton who seem like they are about to sack everyone except for there dud coach Teague. The best fit for Clarkson would be us or West Coast imo.
Does Clarko have it in him to do another full rebuild ?? Because that's what's coming at West Coast.

Strachan will be retained as a backup ruck ......good backup, Thilthorpe not ready

Davis, Mackay, Lynch ....yes I can see going ....Lynch being retained in a development capacity at the club

Can see us only taking 3-4 picks in this Draft .....not factoring in any trades
We will bring in at least 1, maybe 2 FA, or trades

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back