Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah just like everyone going 'Oh Gibbs was obviously a bad trade in hindsight', ignoring everyone with a bit of brains who got it with foresight.

View attachment 1119553

There are 8 of us who saw the warning signs right from his appointment.

Nicks apprenticeship isn't exactly exciting. Handful of years under Hinkley and then one under Cameron. Reality is that he wouldn't get the job unless his key philosophies aligned with those pre-existing at the club. So Roo, Fagan and Chappy needed to like what they were hearing. The likelihood that those guys got together and selected a future AFL premiership coach is so remote that it's not funny.

Ah just like everyone going 'Oh Gibbs was obviously a bad trade in hindsight', ignoring everyone with a bit of brains who got it with foresight.

View attachment 1119553

And yet the number of people who are closest to being correct is still 83.

Extremely long bow to draw comparing Nicks to the Gibbs trade.

Nicks apprenticeship isn't exactly exciting. Handful of years under Hinkley and then one under Cameron. Reality is that he wouldn't get the job unless his key philosophies aligned with those pre-existing at the club. So Roo, Fagan and Chappy needed to like what they were hearing. The likelihood that those guys got together and selected a future AFL premiership coach is so remote that it's not funny.

I'm no apologist, but to be fair the chances of anyone selecting a future premiership coach is remote at the best of times.

I see some positives from Nicks thus far. I see some red flags. Most rookies (players and coaches) get a mulligan for 2020.

Ultimately I'm glad he's not surrounded by complete numpties in the coaches box this year. VB has done a very good apprenticeship, Burns isn't a hack. Huge upgrades on Godden and Hart.

Long, long road ahead but at the end of the day it's still too early to say either way.

View attachment 1119553

Imagine thinking you've seen enough to make an informed assessment. Yikes.

Imagine thinking you've seen enough to make an informed assessment. Yikes.

I saw enough just by understanding who was on the selection panel.

Their criteria and values was never going to select a coach who was capable of leading the team to ultimate success.

This just confirms you are irrationally biased. Quite odd.

Just like I was accused of being bias when I maintained all along we'd never get a band 1 compensation for Brad Crouch?

Just like I was accused of being bias when I said that we wouldn't match on Brad despite the club promising we would if we didn't get band 1?

You call it bias, I call it assessing the evidence, assessing the pattern of behavior and applying basic logic.

Just like I was accused of being biased when I maintained all along we'd never get a band 1 compensation for Brad Crouch?

Just like I was accused of being biased when I said that we wouldn't match on Brad despite the club promising we would if we didn't get band 1?

You call it bias, I call it assessing the evidence, assessing the pattern of behavior and applying basic logic.

If you are going to crawl out of your hole now that we are losing, you could at least get your English right.

If you are going to crawl out of your hole now that we are losing, you could at least get your English right.

now that we're losing?

Mate we've been losing for the past two seasons. Last season I was actually the quietest I've been since joining, so the idea that I only emerge when things are going badly doesn't really match reality.

But way to attack me over an irrelevant point rather than the actual content of my post.

Just like I was accused of being bias when I maintained all along we'd never get a band 1 compensation for Brad Crouch?

Just like I was accused of being bias when I said that we wouldn't match on Brad despite the club promising we would if we didn't get band 1?

It would be just amazing to see you detail how you applied the above to Nicks at the time - you couldn't.

You sound more in love with the idea of 'being right' than you are with the idea of forming a well informed, balanced view and/or assessment.

If you were interested in the latter you wouldn't be at all confident in making such a definitive call right now. Again, it would be amazing to hear you try though.

It would be just amazing to see you detail how you applied the above to Nicks at the time - you couldn't.

You sound more in love with the idea of 'being right' than you are with the idea of forming a well informed, balanced view and/or assessment.

If you were interested in the latter you wouldn't be at all confident in making such a definitive call right now. Again, it would be amazing to hear you try though.

Being right tends to indicate you've formed a well informed view.

He went with Mackay 4 weeks before Sholl got his debut last year.

I was just looking at this season, whilst he made a heap last year it was his first season and Covid compromised. Bit harder to gloss over similar type mistakes this season.

The fun part of supporting is we get to be experts in hindsight. Almost as fun as watching people waffle on about rookie coaches making rookie errors almost like...that isn't to be expected?

I'm happy to wade through the errors this year if it means we have learned from them by the time we next compete seriously.

Expectations of perfection are the wheelhouse of the village fool.

It would be fun if we needed hindsight, unfortunately that's what makes it more frustrating - these errors are getting called out as they are made - not after the event.

As I said in a previous post, happy he gets until the end of next season to determine if he has the goods but he appears to be heading down the well trodden AFC path.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

being biased and right are not always mutually exclusive

you can still be right on some things you arrived at through bias

being biased and right are not always mutually exclusive

you can still be right on some things you arrived at through bias
If you predict some bad s**t will happen every day, eventually you'll end up being right. Broken clocks and all that. Mind you I do think the club has earned a certain level of cynicism from it's supporters.

What sh*t have I thrown that turned out to be wrong?

Or are you just throwing sh*t at me with nothing to back it up by chance?

As I am not your biographer I am definitely the latter. I could not tell you specifically what you have said, I am just suggesting that if the process of your decision making is as wild as you suggest, coupled with the obvious 'I'm right' undertones, it would be folly not to make those assumptions.

As an aside I'm comfy to make an ass out of you and me before you warn me. I'll die on that hill 7 days of the week.

Your annoyance at being judged without evidence is however very delicious from an irony perspective.

I don't believe Nicks deserve a much credit for improvement this year. He took us backwards last year to the point we really couldn't have been more uncompetitive.

Last edited:
I don't believe Nicks deserve a much credit for improvement this year. He took us backwards last year to the point we really couldn't have been more uncompetitive.

In what direction do you think rebuilds usually go?

Did you miss the back end of 2019 where we downed tools to get a coach sacked?

2020 was long in the making with how horrifically bad our management had been for the past 2-3 years in the lead up, and it frankly didn't matter who was coaching that season.

In what direction do you think rebuilds usually go?

They shouldn't drop as bad as they did last year. Not the results but effort, discipline and intensity should be non negotiables. You can have that with a young side but at times last year we were not that young and he couldn't get much out of the older players.

It was a wasted year last year, Covid didn't help but where we are now is where I expected to be 12 months ago.

My point is I don't think he has proven anything yet as a Coach or really taken us forward. The next few years will judge that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back