Rumour Maybe on his way to Collingwood - Orren Stephenson?

Remove this Banner Ad

Stephenson is a poor ruckman and had a poor season.

If we are investing in him then I expect it would more so be in a mentor role for Witts and maybe Gault with an eye to later step into coaching.

Stephenson isn't a ruckman you win a premiership with and if we took him then I expect Witts would still be that backup ruckman. But to work closely with Witts, Stephenson might almost serve as an assistant coach within the playing group which isn't the worst outcome in that regard and might just help fill that depth need where he can play when required without needing to play all 22 games. - Much like the way GWS have worked those retireing/retired veterains this year through their team on a play as needed basis more so in a mentoring capacity and to help protect the younger bodies than with the pure objective of winning with these players.

Unorthodox, but interesting move if true and while my natural inclination would be a firm no due to his poor season, with plenty of others much better, but for our list position he might be a surprisingly good fit and be enough cover without taking those ruck minutes away from Witts which appeals.

Can't say I am happy at all tbh.

Although he is better than Wood, why on earth would we offer him a 2 year deal. He can have 1 max if he is even getting a contract and then Witts can take over.

To me it seems the club is really trying to get experience because they think it's now or a long time till we win our next flag and Stephenson will be able to support Jolly much more than Wood could have although he is a dud as well.

My problem with this news is the 2 years. What's in it for Collingwood to offer a 29yo, who has been on another AFL 1 season before being cut and has no other prospects seemingly, a 2 year deal.

Doesn't make sense to me

Not really sure what to think.

Would much prefer a 1 yr deal but I can see why the club would bring him in as insurance.

Michael Gleeson article in today's (30th) Age re Wood delisting has Walsh quoted as saying "The Club would not seek to bring in another mature ruck as back up in case of injury".

Make of that what you will!

So, if we are bringing him in, that would mean:
First rucks: Jolly, Witts, Stephenson;
Second ruck/forwards: Lynch, Gault
Utility tall: Keefe

Obviously, Witts can play forward and Gault, and especially Keefe, can play down back.

Michael Gleeson article in today's (30th) Age re Wood delisting has Walsh quoted as saying "The Club would not seek to bring in another mature ruck as back up in case of injury".

Make of that what you will!
After the experience this year of too many rucks effectively creating a block to one another's development, Walsh said the club would not seek to bring in another mature ruck as back-up in case of injury.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/pies-clear-decks-for-witts-20121029-28fo0.html#ixzz2Ah6gUBWz

Witts is the backup

thank christ we aint getting orren i can rest easy now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would much rather Seaby than Stephenson. Stephenson can't surely be worse than Wood. Anyways we need another Ruckman for insurance, don't feel all that comfortable calling on Witts if Jolly is to go down at some stage during next year.

i disagreed with ceglar.

but we are not picking up any journeymen ruckmen so im okay with the move now.
To quote DTM, source?

After the experience this year of too many rucks effectively creating a block to one another's development, Walsh said the club would not seek to bring in another mature ruck as back-up in case of injury.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/pies-clear-decks-for-witts-20121029-28fo0.html#ixzz2Ah6gUBWz

Witts is the backup

thank christ we aint getting orren i can rest easy now

So how will the gaps be filled? Rookie elevations? A non ruck delisted player like Petterd?

The words from Walshy's mouth.
In what part of that article did Walshy say this?
Mind you i may have easily missed it.
It's a warmish night & the stout is going down nicely. ;)

In what part of that article did Walshy say this?
Mind you i may have easily missed it.
It's a warmish night & the stout is going down nicely. ;)

'After the experience this year of too many rucks effectively creating a block to one another's development, Walsh said the club would not seek to bring in another mature ruck as back-up in case of injury.'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back