Maynard cleared by tribunal for Brayshaw collision

What should happen with Maynard?

• 1-2 match suspension for careless, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 247 27.9%
  • 3-4 match suspension for intentional, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 203 23.0%
  • 5+ match suspension, intentional or careless with severe impact, straight to tribunal

Votes: 68 7.7%
  • Charges downgraded to a fine

Votes: 52 5.9%
  • No charge/no penalty

Votes: 314 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

THE AFL has opted against appealing the Tribunal's decision in the Brayden Maynard case, meaning the Collingwood defender is in the clear to play in the Magpies' preliminary final.

The AFL, having brought the charge against Maynard, said on Wednesday that it would not challenge the Tribunal's ruling, but would comment further later in the day.

"The AFL has confirmed that after careful consideration and review of the Tribunal's decision and reasons following last night's hearing into the incident involving Collingwood's Brayden Maynard and Melbourne's Angus Brayshaw, the AFL has decided not to appeal the Tribunal's decision," a statement read.

"Per the Tribunal Guidelines the AFL had to make this decision by 12:00pm AEST today.

"The AFL will release a further statement later today."
Finally some sanity 👍

There's basically two bones of contention we have How inevitable was a dangerous collision - that's the lawyers job to have created doubt - I think it was a pretty easy thing to do. And how inevitable it has to be to be reasonably foreseeable - in this case there was no debate by the lawyers regarding that term. I basically think it means a lot more inevitable than is being suggested and a lot more inevitable than it was, because I think there was a lot more doubt than you do.
What it all comes down to is the burning question, "What was Maynard's mindset and intent".
This we will never know but his history of wanting to be an enforcer sort of gives it away.

What it all comes down to is the burning question, "What was Maynard's mindset and intent".
This we will never know but his history of wanting to be an enforcer sort of gives it away.

It's a bit more complicated, as even if your intent is fine, you can still be done for careless conduct - must suspensions are judged as careless and not intentional.

Eg. Here's Bruzzy copping a very justified careless conduct suspension.

Players get the benefit of doubt regarding intent. It's only graded as intentional if there is no doubt - eg a punch to the head with the ball nowhere in the vicinity or no possible football action he was intending to do. Who knows if Maynard was intending to whack that player in the head - we can guess based on reputation, but it is a guess. But something strange would have had to occur for that swing to not collect the bloke in the head - so it was unarguably careless - despite a heap of Pies fans and the club having argued that it wasn't careless - "football action" "a play at the ball" - it was still careless.

2023 Premiership isn't tainted at all.

You're very emotional and talking complete nonsense.
Unhealthy obsession. Take a walk.
Your Vice-Captain should obviously have been suspended and you won 2 games by a total of 5 points

SAY IT WITH ME

T-A-I-N-T-E-D

That's without getting into the unfair advantage you get every single year from the fixture and biased umpiring

No, I did not offer a counter-argument.

There is no room for arguments with your logic, my point was that your claims were absurd.

One was a sweeping generalisation about the Collingwood supporter base and the rest were simply your opinions about Maynard, which some might share.

Your finesse in finishing with "LMAO" was delightful.

I genuinely find it hilarious that you lost a flag in the last 90 seconds. I was so happy on the day. That blockhead being the main one responsible for it adds to the laughter

PS generalisations exist for a reason. We all saw and heard the reason at the ground on the night of the QF. Not even at West Coast or Adelaide would you get a crowd in joyous celebration at an opposition player being knocked out, especially one with a known history of concussion issues

Not a drop of class or dignity in the whole lot of you

Only two certain things came out of this whole hysteria.

1. Brayden Maynard was cleared of any wrongdoing
2. Brayden Maynard is a premiership-winning hero of the biggest and best club in the league

View attachment 1916810
Cleared by a corrupt kangaroo court
His premiership tally is now at zero, because he was at negative one after the one he gave to West Coast

I genuinely find it hilarious that you lost a flag in the last 90 seconds. I was so happy on the day. That blockhead being the main one responsible for it adds to the laughter

PS generalisations exist for a reason. We all saw and heard the reason at the ground on the night of the QF. Not even at West Coast or Adelaide would you get a crowd in joyous celebration at an opposition player being knocked out, especially one with a known history of concussion issues

Not a drop of class or dignity in the whole lot of you

Your sister wants her computer back.

[QUOTE="}>-DEMON-

Not a drop of class or dignity in the whole lot of you[/QUOTE]

Speaking of West Coast, or at least their home ground, how was the view of it from mum and dad’s basement in 2021?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maynard did way worse and got nothing.
7 weeks fair enough.

Meanwhile, Maynard ends a guys career and gets rewarded with a premiership.

Bravo AFL. 🙄 Enjoy your gift Collingwood.
Congratulations you 2. Awarded joint winners of the dumbest post on BF for 2024. And it’s only March 5!

7 weeks fair enough.

You do realize the Maynard incident bears no similarity whatsoever to this one?

I'm still thinking the Powell-Pepper suspension was a tad harsh (I would have given 2-3), and I think 7 matches to Webster is rather ridiculous, 4 matches would have sufficed.

I just wonder if the AFL are being too conscious of pressure to be seen to be doing the right thing, and whether it will come back to bit them later in the season.

7 weeks fair enough.

And apparently the AFL couldn’t make a stand with Maynard last year, they had to change the rules which in itself is acknowledging wrongdoing, and go hard on a no name Saints player. Webster deserves the ban, but it’d be more impactful if it came in a final to a player of a big club.

You do realize the Maynard incident bears no similarity whatsoever to this one?

I'm still thinking the Powell-Pepper suspension was a tad harsh (I would have given 2-3), and I think 7 matches to Webster is rather ridiculous, 4 matches would have sufficed.

I just wonder if the AFL are being too conscious of pressure to be seen to be doing the right thing, and whether it will come back to bit them later in the season.
Pressure to do the right thing? Like stopping unnecessary contact to the head and preventing serious long term neurological impact? Not sure how it could come back to bite them. If you did that in the last round and your name is Dustin Martin or Patrick Dangerfield, then you should be sitting out the same length of time Webster will.

Back