Tom Lynch sent straight to Tribunal(dismissed) Sanity Prevails!

Remove this Banner Ad

Right so it’s your belief that had Jones taken a mark instead of spoiling the ball in that situation it would have been registered as an uncontested mark?

I mean he physically bumps into Jones on the way down
Yeah its not contested and that isn't physical pressure.

FWIW I've seen marks like that (had he marked it) not registered as contested marks before on the AFL stats app. I've also seen ones where players jump over other players (a bit like the one Jezzalinko!!! took in the photo upthread) categorised the same way and while I thought it was weird at the time once I read the definition about other players putting pressure on the marking player it did make sense.

To my mind if people are looking at that incident and thinking what happened was part of a marking contest instead of an incidental contact outside of a marking contest then its no wonder so many stupid arguments happen on this board.

We've all had them. We had Soldo suspended a couple of years ago for strike, when he'd just kicked a goal (or might have had 1 kicked on him) and a Hawks player went up to remonstrate, he immediately put his arms up to protect himself, but because the Hawks player was short accidentally caught him whilst doing it. It was a defensive action to protect himself from another player off the ball but he got suspended. We also had the Pickett swinging arm when the "potential to cause injury" clause was I think 1st used (and only been used a couple of times).

I don't think we are getting many right in terms of the MRO / tribunal process. The penalties should all be focused around actions they are trying to prevent and not results of injuries (like Lynchs was) or actions to protect yourself.

We've gone the wrong way at some point. The most dangerous actions in footy right night are the bump (gaining an advantage and particularly when at high speed - Kosi Picketts is the perfect example) and the sling tackle. For mine, Rohans was worse than Day's at the weekend, but somehow gets half the penalty.

As you say its a massive lottery and IMO Christian's role is completely untenable. He's doing nothing to stamp things out of the game, and focusing on the wrong incidents entirely.
Those dangerous tackle decisions are a great example.

When we played Hawthorn Logue was dumped in a tackle like that by two players and while one had arm chicken winged. Nothing. Where's the consistency there?

As far as "we've all had one" I honestly cannot remember a case where a North player was knocked out or concussed and it resulted in tribunal action. (There may be one but I can't remember it.) I can remember plenty of sus cases where it didn't.

The thing that makes a contest is two or more players contesting the ball yeah?

You're getting hung up on a contest meaning two players with their arms up attempting to mark the ball.

For me the contest is multiple players arriving at the drop of the ball with the intent to mark it.

Some go under the ball and miss it by a mile. If their arms are up, they are contesting right? They just mistimed their contest.

Some arrive late and do nothing more than clip an opposition player behind the ear, or take bodies with them. They are still part of the contest.

Some slip and go to ground. They are part of the marking contest but their part ended before the ball arrived.

Contest is a noun and a verb. You seem hung up in the verb and the player ultimately being in a position to effect the ball at the time it arrives.

To my mind if people are looking at that incident and thinking what happened was part of a marking contest instead of an incidental contact outside of a marking contest then its no wonder so many stupid arguments happen on this board.

So now you are using the noun and it highlights the point perfectly.

You think this incident happened outside of a marking contest? What was Lynch's intent here? Was it to run to the spot where the ball was falling, not try to get the ball, and look for physical contact against an opposition player? Forget the fact that this is the way it unfolded, did Lynch's presence at that spot have nothing to do with the ball in the air?

You're getting hung up on a contest meaning two players with their arms up attempting to mark the ball.

For me the contest is multiple players arriving at the drop of the ball with the intent to mark it.

Some go under the ball and miss it by a mile. If their arms are up, they are contesting right? They just mistimed their contest.

Some arrive late and do nothing more than clip an opposition player behind the ear, or take bodies with them. They are still part of the contest.

Some slip and go to ground. They are part of the marking contest but their part ended before the ball arrived.

Contest is a noun and a verb. You seem hung up in the verb and the player ultimately being in a position to effect the ball at the time it arrives.
A footy game is a verb. Its all action.

But if you're looking for the "contest" in that (Lynch v Keath) situation, ie a physical contest, involving physical pressure around who gets the ball then where is it? Both players missed it.

I think that bolded bit is wrong. Just cos you put your arms up doesn't mean you're making a contest. Arriving late means you're still in a position to put pressure on someone before they control the ball. Running underneath it and being gone from the spot early means you can't do that cos you stuffed it up.

So now you are using the noun and it highlights the point perfectly.

You think this incident happened outside of a marking contest? What was Lynch's intent here? Was it to run to the spot where the ball was falling, not try to get the ball, and look for physical contact against an opposition player? Forget the fact that this is the way it unfolded, did Lynch's presence at that spot have nothing to do with the ball in the air?
Lynch failed to contest the ball. He failed to make a marking contest in that situation.

Today has been an absolute delight. Best part is the poster claiming BF posters have no idea whilst clearly showing he has no idea. Outstanding work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back