Tom Lynch sent straight to Tribunal(dismissed) Sanity Prevails!

Remove this Banner Ad

That stuff is drivel.

The tribunal said Logue should have gone lower for the ball to avoid a suspension but two players actually did that yesterday and they both got knocked out. Then they said some other s**t about Lynch and he'd actually hurt someone!

We have had our players consistently knowcked out since the AFL started protecting players from concussion and I don't think a single case has resulted in a suspension. Last year a Suns player ran past Ben McKay and swung an elbow at his head. He missed that game and the next one as a result. It was called a football act. So obviously that week the tribunal had gone back in time 35 years. And at the same time we get players suspended for s**t that other players get off/don't get reported for for every two or three weeks.

No North support is gonna take the s**t those w***ers say seriously. Its all garbage. I'm not even gonna bother reading it.
It was a marking contest mate, it's completely different to those examples. If you read the tribunals reasoning you'd be in agreeance.

Chrisso is the problem.

FWIW, I felt Lynch would have been bloody stiff to get rubbed out for that. People complain about the way the game is going but then lobby hard for players to get suspended for everything. They are part of the problem.

We may yet become a game where most contact is illegal, but that's not today.

It was a marking contest mate, it's completely different to those examples. If you read the tribunals reasoning you'd be in agreeance.

Chrisso is the problem.
But it wasn't a marking contest was it. He failed to get to the marking contest, otherwise he might have made it a contest. Instead of letting the other guy take an uncontested mark.

Honestly tho none of Logue, Acres, McKay or Lynch should really get suspended. I don't think Lynch was nasty in this contest and I think he's a bit of a cowardly sniper. But this time it was one of those footy things. The were all just footy things and if anything McKay's was the worse, he just elbowed the kid in the head, but he didn't go thru with it so it wasn't anything really. Its just the annoying consistency we see.

And yeah Christian is the real issue.

The AFL would piss him off and develop a proper system for match reviews if it was a professional organisation with a clue but it isn't so we get this s**t. I guess everyone already knows this.

But it wasn't a marking contest was it. He failed to get to the marking contest, otherwise he might have made it a contest. Instead of letting the other guy take an uncontested mark.

Honestly tho none of Logue, Acres, McKay or Lynch should really get suspended. I don't think Lynch was nasty in this contest and I think he's a bit of a cowardly sniper. But this time it was one of those footy things. The were all just footy things and if anything McKay's was the worse, he just elbowed the kid in the head, but he didn't go thru with it so it wasn't anything really. Its just the annoying consistency we see.

And yeah Christian is the real issue.

The AFL would piss him off and develop a proper system for match reviews if it was a professional organisation with a clue but it isn't so we get this s**t. I guess everyone already knows this.
Yes, it was.

Some on here seem to think that Lynch had the time running into the contest to think what to do when he realised he'd run under it.

You can see from behind footage (I posted it several pages ago) where Keaths arm is almost touching Lynch. Lynchs eyes are still on the ball and preparing to jump, you can see he is planting his left foot at the time.

People think in that time period, he has the time to think "s**t I'm going to miss the mark, oh look who's this guy to the left, maybe I should knock him out", when in reality he most likely plants his foot, a peripheral image comes into his vision and he instinctively turns his body not knowing what the hecks coming from his left.

He literally would have had maybe half a second to have made any decision, ie no time to make that decision, it was an instinctive response to protect himself.

There are footy fans now who are so deranged they really do think that.

It's good to see that the Tribunal actually learnt something from their ridiculous and disgraceful effort to suspend Cripps last year.
Accidents can happen in a contact sport, and you are allowed to contest the ball in our game.
The AFL should be trying to remove dangerous actions that can cause concussions from the game (eg sling tackles), rather than working backwards from a concussion and trying to blame someone for an accident.

Unfortunately, the incompetent muppet Christian who has NFI still has a job. He should have been sacked a long time ago.

Yes, it was.
No it wasn't.

I guess Lynch could have made it one if he'd committed to halving the contest and getting cleaned up but he's not exactly the bravest player in the comp so its no surprise he didn't.

What happened was one played jumped up and hit the ball away, uncontested, and two others off to the side had a bit of a collision. There wasn't an actual marking contest at all.

FWIW, I felt Lynch would have been bloody stiff to get rubbed out for that. People complain about the way the game is going but then lobby hard for players to get suspended for everything. They are part of the problem.

We may yet become a game where most contact is illegal, but that's not today.
The thing is the AFL will be f*cked in their class action defence when they have so much inconsistency in these sorts of decisions.

You can’t on one hand be sprouting the “potential to cause serious injury” bullshit to make an example out of lesser named players or interstate teams and then pull this when someone actually gets injured from a pretty lousy attempt at a bump

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't be called that if he doesn't contest the ball mate. That's whole definition of the word

Can you go to a marking contest but misread the ball and mistime your attempt? He aborted his jump at the ball because an opposition player was backing back into him and he had misread the flight. As if a key forward is going to go to a marking contest with the pre-conceived idea of not contesting. That might only happens if they are late to the contest, in which case they are aiming to spoil or make the opponent earn it. Lynch was early to the contest and got lost.

Last edited:
The thing is the AFL will be f*cked in their class action defence when they have so much inconsistency in these sorts of decisions.

You can’t on one hand be sprouting the “potential to cause serious injury” bullshit to make an example out of lesser named players or interstate teams and then pull this when someone actually gets injured from a pretty lousy attempt at a bump

Who got injured from a lousy attempt at a bump where the perpetrator got off? I mean, I've seen incidental bumps that weren't intended to be bumps.

The AFL are going to have to trade off their fear of legal ruin with the future of the game and how that looks. How can you have a fast moving athletic 360 degree game and not have collisions?

Do we really think that suspending players for each and every action that impacts the head is going to mitigate any legal damages anyway?

The AFL ****ed themselves years ago when they decided to work backwards from a concussion to find someone to blame, rather than punishing dangerous actions in order to reduce future concussions.
The Tribunal is actually getting it more right this year.
Christian not so much.

look lynch is a soft little worm like most tiger players, but this was clear cut. he was clueless and there was no time to do anything else

yes, while it is true all richmond supporters are little wusses but this is the right call.

No it wasn't.

I guess Lynch could have made it one if he'd committed to halving the contest and getting cleaned up but he's not exactly the bravest player in the comp so its no surprise he didn't.

What happened was one played jumped up and hit the ball away, uncontested, and two others off to the side had a bit of a collision. There wasn't an actual marking contest at all.
So by that reasoning Keaths fly wasn't part of a marking contest either as he was even further off it. So wtf was he doing?

It was a marking contest - the ball was right there to be marked, they just misread it which happens (see the Swans v port final kick). All the other incidecents you have referenced have been loose balls, that's the difference, and it's the deciding difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back