Tom Lynch sent straight to Tribunal(dismissed) Sanity Prevails!

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the crux of it.
But suspending players won’t stop players from suing in the future.

Yeah, but when they throw dozens of cases at the court to show they were trying to minimise the risks, then at the very least it'd reduce their liability.

Lol. So Franklin who makes contact with the ball isn't playing the ball. But Lynch who doesn't get anywhere near the ball was playing the ball. The logic is flawless.
Having the ball hit your knee while you line someone up isn't going for the ball. He tucks his shoulder in and goes for Collins.

Ridiculous stuff that this goes to the tribunal.
I’m as fair as they come, don’t like Lynch at all but this is ridiculous.
You wouldn’t get a Tiger fan having a balanced opinion ever.

For me it comes down to what else could he have done.

In the final stretch of leading to the ball, and a defender runs in front of him. He doesn't have a lot of options apart from running into him. The only questionable part is that he left he ground, but again, he was in the last few strides of going for the ball...Some kind of leap was pretty much pre programmed by that stage.

At the risk of victim blaming, if you put yourself in front of a charging forward, you've got to take a large share of responsibility for the impact that follows.

Hadn't seen this one until just now. Can't imagine how they think that consitutes a report, Keath ran back with the flight of the ball and didn't do anything to protect himself while getting in the path of Lynch who was speeding in the opposite direction, preparing to leap and moved to protect himself at the last moment. Completely Keath's own fault, might not feel nice to say when he's lying there concussed but it's true! I'm sick of seeing players get penalised because their opponents dangerously ran at them, forcing them to protect themselves, it's a counter-productive enforcement agenda that's going to make the game MORE dangerous, because guys won't brace for impact when they have no other choice, fearing a suspension.

Hadn't seen this one until just now. Can't imagine how they think that consitutes a report, Keath ran back with the flight of the ball and didn't do anything to protect himself while getting in the path of Lynch who was speeding in the opposite direction, preparing to leap and moved to protect himself at the last moment. Completely Keath's own fault, might not feel nice to say when he's lying there concussed but it's true! I'm sick of seeing players get penalised because their opponents dangerously ran at them, forcing them to protect themselves, it's a counter-productive enforcement agenda that's going to make the game MORE dangerous, because guys won't brace for impact when they have no other choice, fearing a suspension.

Except Keith got hurt, and when someone gets hurt, the AFL is always looking for someone to blame. (without blaming the victim).

Spot on. Players aren’t very bright at times, take dumb risks etc. Expecting the rules to look after them makes them do stupid things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some on here seem to think that Lynch had the time running into the contest to think what to do when he realised he'd run under it.

You can see from behind footage (I posted it several pages ago) where Keaths arm is almost touching Lynch. Lynchs eyes are still on the ball and preparing to jump, you can see he is planting his left foot at the time.

People think in that time period, he has the time to think "s**t I'm going to miss the mark, oh look who's this guy to the left, maybe I should knock him out", when in reality he most likely plants his foot, a peripheral image comes into his vision and he instinctively turns his body not knowing what the hecks coming from his left.

He literally would have had maybe half a second to have made any decision, ie no time to make that decision, it was an instinctive response to protect himself.

Some on here seem to think that Lynch had the time running into the contest to think what to do when he realised he'd run under it.

You can see from behind footage (I posted it several pages ago) where Keaths arm is almost touching Lynch. Lynchs eyes are still on the ball and preparing to jump, you can see he is planting his left foot at the time.

People think in that time period, he has the time to think "s**t I'm going to miss the mark, oh look who's this guy to the left, maybe I should knock him out", when in reality he most likely plants his foot, a peripheral image comes into his vision and he instinctively turns his body not knowing what the hecks coming from his left.

He literally would have had maybe half a second to have made any decision, ie no time to make that decision, it was an instinctive response to protect himself.

People get way too confused about what 'should' have happened by slow motion video and the benefits of seeing it multiple times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back