Tom Lynch sent straight to Tribunal(dismissed) Sanity Prevails!

Remove this Banner Ad

Lynch has eyes for the ball basically the entire time, once he realises he has misjudged the flight and overrun it, he's bracing for contact and protecting himself, by turning the body. I wouldn't call it a jump and bump, any common sense view can see that's not the intention of his actions here. I imagine that's what the defence would be if we cared, but he's injured anyway so why bother?
I'm glad common sense prevailed. The net result for Richmond doesn't matter as he misses time anyway, but at least the tribunal made a sensible decision for once.

Where is the outrage from Adelaide and Northf supporters?
i'm more pissed off about this than about the McKay decision even tho it was a joke as well. Lynch didn't contest the ball, elected to bump and knocked someone out. A week earlier one of our players elected to contest the ball, got their first, put on a bump that didn't actually hurt anyone and ended up getting a week for it.

i'm more pissed off about this than about the McKay decision even tho it was a joke as well. Lynch didn't contest the ball, elected to bump and knocked someone out. A week earlier one of our players elected to contest the ball, got their first, put on a bump that didn't actually hurt anyone and ended up getting a week for it.
Na it has been proven Lynch did none of those things

According to the tribunal (copied from Fox live feed)

Reasons via Tribunal:

On certain views of this vision, Lynch's actions appear quite problematic. He did not ultimately attempt to mark the ball and his shoulder came into forceful contact with Alex Keath’s head, causing a concussion.

Considering all of the evidence, including importantly Lynch's cogent and emphatic evidence, including all of the various angles of vision, we are not clearly satisfied that this was rough conduct.

The vision supported Lynch's evidence that his eyes never left the ball and that his line towards the ball never deviated. We find Lynch intended to fly for the mark, realised he had misjudged at the moment he was committed to jumping, saw a Bulldogs player in his peripheral vision and rotated and braced for contact. This version of events is supported by the fact Lynch did not have clenched fists, not follow through with force and intends to pull his body in, in a way consistent with a brace for contact, not a bump.

Marking contests such as this present a number of challenges for players. The ball was kicked in long and high. Players are all aware there will be a pack-type aerial contest. All flight can be misjudged and leaps mistimed.

It is not careless for a player to do no more than brace for contact in those circumstances.

As we’ve repeatedly said, layers must do all that they reasonably can to minimise the risk of head injuries to other players. If we found Lynch had not genuinely braced for contact, had not had eyes for the ball, likely deviated, we would have had little hesitation in upholding the charge.

In the event, he did not bump. He did not engage in rough conduct.

The whole process was moot with him out for the next 2 months anyway. The only thing on the line today was the BF Richmond persecution complex.

Maybe the whole thing isn't a Steve Hocking, brother of Chris Scott-run conspiracy after all.

The whole process was moot with him out for the next 2 months anyway. The only thing on the line today was the BF Richmond persecution complex.

I think right/wrong matters even if the punishment is moot, or if other decisions have been wrong.

He really didn't.

20230411_212954.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did not compete for the ball, took out a man with his eyes on the ball, choose to bump, got him high and concussed him.

Very lucky

One does not have to touch the ball to compete. Lynch had eyes for the ball until the last millisecond there was an obstacle impeding his run at the contest

Basically he was competing against the defender who judged the ball flight better and in the end outmarked him.
Lynch was still competing until he ran into another player who decided it was a good idea to run into the in coming pack...

I'd do the exact same thing if I realised I misjudged the flight at full tilt and had a player backing into me

The contest doesn't stop with the marking duel, it continues well into the impact line and basically you protect yourself as you brace for unexpected Impact

That stuff is drivel.

The tribunal said Logue should have gone lower for the ball to avoid a suspension but two players actually did that yesterday and they both got knocked out. Then they said some other s**t about Lynch and he'd actually hurt someone!

We have had our players consistently knowcked out since the AFL started protecting players from concussion and I don't think a single case has resulted in a suspension. Last year a Suns player ran past Ben McKay and swung an elbow at his head. He missed that game and the next one as a result. It was called a football act. So obviously that week the tribunal had gone back in time 35 years. And at the same time we get players suspended for s**t that other players get off/don't get reported for for every two or three weeks.

No North support is gonna take the s**t those w***ers say seriously. Its all garbage. I'm not even gonna bother reading it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back