Roast McClure/Wilson Misrepresenting Mental Health/Trauma re- Crows Camp

Remove this Banner Ad

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Before you think "Oh poo! Not another thread about the Crows Camp!" and "when will this camp-talk ever stop?!"; please understand this thread will be a highly informative one, and a discussion tackling this issue from another angle. This thread is for those who have a genuine interest in mental health and a genuine respect for those suffering from mental health and trauma experiences.

The background:
Sam McClure and Caroline Wilson are the 2 journos, being the 2 biggest proponents of claim that there was much turmoil going on in that particular camp. It was claimed to be a "debacle" or "disaster" of such massive proportions. The fact they used such sinister terms and the fact that they've persisted with multiple articles that just seems to carry on up until present day, what it boils down to is that they are insinuating the Crows camp in 2018 had caused a traumatising effect on the players and the team morale as a whole.

The facts/rumours:
- Some cultural clash relating to the use of an Aboriginal talking stick
- players blindfolded listening to the Richmond theme song (and on repeat, although of an unknown duration)
- players tied to ropes and trees
- a player felt physically unwell (Lynch)
- some players didn't feel it had much benefits; some felt it was a worthwhile experience
- a player said it wasn't the worst camp he had been involved in (ex-Carlton player)
- the AFL had investigated and felt there was nothing illegal going on
- no players demanded an immediate trade since the camp had occurred, and in fact by the end of the year, only one player had asked to be traded (Mitch McGovern).

So John, why do you seem to have a thing against McClure/Wilson?
The truth is, I honestly believe McClure/Wilson not only are being sensationalists with their reporting of this Crows camp, but they are being extremely demeaning to those who've suffered mental illnesses, and in particular, those who've suffered actual traumatic experiences.

I can explain further..

I work in the health field and have a special interest in mental health. To better understand the narrative of the articles surrounding said camp, we need to understand the differences between "stress", "mental illness" and "trauma".

Stress vs Mental Illness vs Trauma
Stress
= worries/concerns that are often happening to each and everyone of us on a near day-to-day basis; when relaxing, doing hobbies, going on a weekend trip, usually the stress disappears and we don't think of it as much.

Mental Illness = stress on a more pervasive, persisting level; often it can get worse and worse if we don't attend to our stress triggers and ignore an attempt at improving or resolving these stress triggers; with the mind being persistently weakened/overloaded/distorted, this often eventuates in less enjoyment in hobbies, work, family and life in general.

Trauma = (According to the DSM-5) “actual or threatened death, serious injury, or sexual violence” .
Stressful events not involving an immediate threat to life or physical injury such as psychosocial stressors (e.g., divorce or job loss) are not considered trauma in this definition

So what's really your point John?

It really boils down to this:
Stress is something that only an individual can feel and hard for anyone else to quantify.
Mental illness and emotional Trauma, on the other hand, it is often more than just someone saying "I feel down/anxious". Much like physical illness or physical injury, there are objective measures that need to take place in order for us to know that someone is physically unwell/injured. Often you need a doctor's report with his examination findings and then a scan (Xray, ultrasound or CT scan) to evaluate further the extent of the condition. So in a similar vein, for a mental illness or emotional trauma to be diagnosed, it actually requires a mental health clinician (GP, psychologist, psychiatrist) to properly evaluate. Often the diagnosis might also need collateral history from family/friends/work mates to have a clearer understanding of the psychological condition.

So what has any of the above got to do with you bagging McClure/Wilson?
What these 2 journos are doing is that they're reporting on the activities of the camp, merging some loose facts that some players had felt unpleasant or stressed, and they've ended up concluding that the players have been traumatised. Effectively what they've done is they've come up with their own conclusion that the players were traumatised from the camp, when it really needed an official clinician to report this, not some journos who don't seem to have any clue on what mental illness is all about.
It would be like you telling me you felt unhappy at work today, and then I turn around and tell your best friend you have a Major Depression! That is being irresponsible and to be perfectly honest, totally demeaning to the players and disrespectful to people who have suffered from actual mental illnesses.

I don't lay claim to know what really went on in the camp, but if emotional trauma is being insinuated as a result of said camp, it really needs to have some level of objective evidence of emotional trauma.

Were there any objective signs of trauma by the Crows players in the immediate aftermath of the Camp?
From my personal experiences with patients who've suffered from trauma, be it childhood abuse (physical, verbal, sexual), domestic violence or unresolved grief; often these groups of people have significant sets of symptoms. For example: insomnia, loss of weight/appetite, reduced memory/concentration. They also might have flashbacks and nightmares relating to the traumatic experience. With such overwhelming mental disturbances, often this will lead to a decline in physical functioning and/or work performances. Often, traumatised victims will find it very hard to perform their usual work, or will likely find their work performances have declined immediately after the traumatic experience.

I've studied a lot of footage of players and team morale in the 3 months after news of the camp had come to light. Here's some articles/footage:
* Feb 15, 2018: https://www.afc.com.au/news/148918/crows-take-out-aflx
1595065206744.png

* 29/3/2018 Rd 2: beating Richmond (mighty feat despite supposedly being traumatised by listening to the Richmond theme song...on repeat..)

* 8/4/2018: Eddie tells his team mates the wife just given birth to twins:

* 23/4/2018 Rd 5: beating Swans in Sydney (when the team was starting to be injury-riddled with the hamstrings)

*18/5/2020 Rd 9: sitting on 4th spot with 6 wins, 3 losses.

No objective evidence whatsoever that this was a team in mental disarray, in the 3 months immediately after the camp incident.

----------------------------------------------------
TLDR - Without any objective evidence of a traumatised team/players, and without a definitive report that emotional trauma had occurred, what ground does McClure/Wilson have that emotional trauma had occurred because of camp? Remember, the key issue being that unpleasant feelings DOES NOT mean the same as emotional trauma (formal diagnosis needed by a mental health worker).

So all this talk about what players did what to each other, or how many ropes were tied to how many trees, the end point is if McClure/Wilson were the ones who self-determined it was emotional trauma, then they're simply being irresponsible lame-ass journos.

Last edited:
Stress vs Mental Illness vs Trauma
Stress
= worries/concerns that are often happening to each and everyone of us on a near day-to-day basis; when relaxing, doing hobbies, going on a weekend trip, usually the stress disappears and we don't think of it as much.

Mental Illness = stress on a more pervasive, persisting level; often it can get worse and worse if we don't attend to our stress triggers and ignore an attempt at improving or resolving these stress triggers; with the mind being persistently weakened/overloaded/distorted, this often eventuates in less enjoyment in hobbies, work, family and life in general.

Trauma = (According to the DSM-5) “actual or threatened death, serious injury, or sexual violence” .
Stressful events not involving an immediate threat to life or physical injury such as psychosocial stressors (e.g., divorce or job loss) are not considered trauma in this definition

So what's really your point John?

It really boils down to this:
Stress is something that only an individual can feel and hard for anyone else to quantify.
Mental illness and emotional Trauma, on the other hand, it is often more than just someone saying "I feel down/anxious". Much like physical illness or physical injury, there are objective measures that need to take place in order for us to know that someone is physically unwell/injured. Often you need a doctor's report with his examination findings and then a scan (Xray, ultrasound or CT scan) to evaluate further the extent of the condition. So in a similar vein, for a mental illness or emotional trauma to be diagnosed, it actually requires a mental health clinician (GP, psychologist, psychiatrist) to properly evaluate. Often the diagnosis might also need collateral history from family/friends/work mates to have a clearer understanding of the psychological condition.

But you are being quite 'technical' about the definition of Trauma. Just because the American Psychiatric Association says "this is what Trauma is".... doesn't mean those are the only things that can be traumatic in a wider sense. I'm sure as someone who has a genuine interest in Mental health would understand that the definition isn't hard & fast-- especially as Australia & the US have two different approaches towards mental health.

TLDR - Without any objective evidence of a traumatised team/players, and without a definitive report that emotional trauma had occurred, what ground does McClure/Wilson have that emotional trauma had occurred because of camp? Remember, the key issue being that unpleasant feelings DOES NOT mean the same as emotional trauma (formal diagnosis needed by a mental health worker).

So all this talk about what players did what to each other, or how many ropes were tied to how many trees, the end point is if McClure/Wilson were the ones who self-determined it was emotional trauma, then they're simply being irresponsible lame-ass journos.

So this entire thing comes down to you not like that Caroline Wilson & Sam McClure mentioned that your players have gone through a traumatic experience? Not sure why the childish "lame-ass journos" comment was necessary.

But you are being quite 'technical' about the definition of Trauma. Just because the American Psychiatric Association says "this is what Trauma is".... doesn't mean those are the only things that can be traumatic in a wider sense. I'm sure as someone who has a genuine interest in Mental health would understand that the definition isn't hard & fast-- especially as Australia & the US have two different approaches towards mental health.

So this entire thing comes down to you not like that Caroline Wilson & Sam McClure mentioned that your players have gone through a traumatic experience? Not sure why the childish "lame-ass journos" comment was necessary.
I'm allowed to have my opinion that they're lame-ass journos. They're dispersing a false myth that anyone can call out trauma, just because it "seems like it". So what would be the point of someone spending years to get a degree on mental health?

******* hell John, just be an apologist for our sh*t show at home. No need to involve the whole neighbourhood.
Nah mate, this is me being serious on this subject matter. This isn't meant to be a thread to hide all the s**t show that's happened to the club since 2017, but a genuine approach on what mental illness and/or trauma is really about.

I welcome other people with mental health experiences for their input.

I'm allowed to have my opinion that they're lame-ass journos. They're dispersing a false myth that anyone can call out trauma, just because it "seems like it". So what would be the point of someone spending years to get a degree on mental health?

IF you had a degree from an Australian University that includes subjects on mental health you'd be aware that the definition of Trauma commonly used in this country by health professionals is significantly broader than the DSM-5 definition.

The reason I'm suggesting that this is a whinge about Caro & Scoop is because you're complaining about the how two journalists defined Trauma...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah mate, this is me being serious on this subject matter. This isn't meant to be a thread to hide all the sh*t show that's happened to the club since 2017, but a genuine approach on what mental illness and/or trauma is really about.

I welcome other people with mental health experiences for their input.

To cut you off at the knees mate, neither your or I or a journalist or the club can assess whether a player suffered trauma or mental health issues as a result of the camp. Your observations are meaningless as it is dependent on the individual concerned.

IF you had a degree from an Australian University that includes subjects on mental health you'd be aware that the definition of Trauma commonly used in this country by health professionals is significantly broader than the DSM-5 definition.

The reason I'm suggesting that this is a whinge about Caro & Scoop is because you're complaining about the how two journalists defined Trauma...
To cut you off at the knees mate, neither your or I or a journalist or the club can assess whether a player suffered trauma or mental health issues as a result of the camp. Your observations are meaningless as it is dependent on the individual concerned.
So we all agree that trauma should be determined by actual mental health workers, right?

Much like somone seen to be hobbling with a limp, an average footy fan/journo can't just call it a medial meniscus strain unless some sort of official examination/scans. Trauma is a whole other level of distress that needs an official diagnosis, which is not mentioned at any times in their articles.

So we all agree that trauma should be determined by actual mental health workers, right?

Much like somone seen to be hobbling with a limp, an average footy fan/journo can't just call it a medial meniscus strain unless some sort of official examination/scans. Trauma is a whole other level of distress that needs an official diagnosis, which is not mentioned at any times in their articles.

Half of your post is observing that you see there is no trauma there.....

But I can watch the game tonight & make a decision pretty quickly that Kyron Hayden appears concussed from the incident with Tom Lynch.

What I’ve said in everyone of my responses (and you’ve ignored) is that just because you believe the only accurate definition of Trauma is the DSM-5 definition is just not true in Australia.

Trauma is regularly defined in other ways across many industries. But keep ranting about how Caro & Scoop are wrong for labelling traumatic experiences as traumatic instead of just acknowledging that Collective Minds ruined your club.

Maclure and Wilson, and a few other journo's are clearly being briefed by players from that camp, in an attempt to get an independant investigation into that camp and not an AFC/AFL whitewash. Rucci says as much in his InDaily article, complete with the player quote.

If/when that independant investigation is undertaken, then the players can give their input on what levels of stress/trauma occurred and are occurring.

SA Worksafe seems a logical place to start.

But I can watch the game tonight & make a decision pretty quickly that Kyron Hayden appears concussed from the incident with Tom Lynch.

What I’ve said in everyone of my responses (and you’ve ignored) is that just because you believe the only accurate definition of Trauma is the DSM-5 definition is just not true in Australia.

Trauma is regularly defined in other ways across many industries. But keep ranting about how Caro & Scoop are wrong for labelling traumatic experiences as traumatic instead of just acknowledging that Collective Minds ruined your club.
You seem to carry on about the DSM-5, that was only a random definition taken from Google. No matter what definition from what country, trauma is a serious issue. It's not something that should be taken lightly, and it needs an official path of diagnosis. The point stands as in previous posts, Caro and McClure should not be insinuating "trauma" unless an official diagnosis was made.

They can report all they want to whatever activities had occurred, but knowing the activities does not implicate "trauma", unless formally diagnosed. And by the way, no players have officially stated that they were traumatised by the camp. It's all extravagant manipulation of the narrative by these journos, and lapped up by anyone who doesn't really understand the serious nature of emotional trauma and how debilitating it often is when it occurs in real time.

It’s a juicy story for the likes of Maclure and Wilson because they can get absolutely stuck into the club, rake dirt, make grand statements etc without having to worry about seeing anyone around the traps (ie. in Melbourne), and they would have never ha ‘exclusive access’ to anything from the club moving forward anyway.

It’s a free hit.

You will just have to deal with that because it will never change.

Best thing the Crows can do is get back to winning.

You don’t hear anyone pushing the ‘Fold Gold Coast’ agenda right now do you? - 6 weeks of improved performance and they move on.

You seem to carry on about the DSM-5, that was only a random definition taken from Google.

So are you a mental health expert--- or did you just take a "random definition" off Google??

You seem to carry on about the DSM-5, that was only a random definition taken from Google. No matter what definition from what country, trauma is a serious issue. It's not something that should be taken lightly, and it needs an official path of diagnosis. The point stands as in previous posts, Caro and McClure should not be insinuating "trauma" unless an official diagnosis was made.

They can report all they want to whatever activities had occurred, but knowing the activities does not implicate "trauma", unless formally diagnosed. And by the way, no players have officially stated that they were traumatised by the camp. It's all extravagant manipulation of the narrative by these journos, and lapped up by anyone who doesn't really understand the serious nature of emotional trauma and how debilitating it often is when it occurs in real time.

You repeatedly claim that Trauma requires an offical medical diagnosis-- but in Australia, it doesn't. Caroline Wilson & Sam Maclure are allowed to use that word whether you like it or not.

I think it is more than An assumption on maclures and Wilsons behalf.

They would have had solid intel to chase this like they did.
Why the player exodus?? Especially as they had the foundation of a great team going.

Your assumption , that the players were not traumatised by some wanna be psychs ( unqualified) playing mind games on young men with little life experience is more a problem.
Your club is still struggling to come to terms with the fall out from the camp.
The same club that had players sign NDA’s after the event???? Nothing to see here :rolleyes::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
You do realise that the journos wouldn't be writing these stories if the adelaide football club actually dealt with the original fallout like a professional organisation when it first happened right?

The fact that they chose to pretend like they did nothing wrong and bunkered down, is why this is happening. Players have left because of it and some are leaking to the press for some justice since the club just ignored them.

Adelaide basically tried to cover this up...hence journos trying to expose the truth because it is a scandal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back