News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

You have to pay extra for the digital membership (not included with a normal membership)

I bought the Giants one for $231 and got my code in a couple of hours
Thanks, wrote a post thanking you yesterday but forgot to post it.:drunk: So as I understand it $250 eagles digital membership gives you 12 months kayo, free entry to WAFL games and a $25 club store voucher so probably good value if like me you don't get around to cancelling your Kayo in the off season.

Anyone catch the article in the West, essentially saying we should be poaching David Walls from Freo for our List Manager.

If anyone can copy the article? Otherwise thoughts, not sure if I rate his work with Freo….

Anyone catch the article in the West, essentially saying we should be poaching David Walls from Freo for our List Manager.

If anyone can copy the article? Otherwise thoughts, not sure if I rate his work with Freo….

Have at it

Pretty paper thin analysis where the main argument is that as a recruiter Walls picked a few good players with late picks

Doesn’t talk about his role as list manager that has seen several players leave over the last 2-3 seasons

Have at it

Pretty paper thin analysis where the main argument is that as a recruiter Walls picked a few good players with late picks

Doesn’t talk about his role as list manager that has seen several players leave over the last 2-3 seasons

Does it mention how awkward it’d make his Christmases since his old man thinks we’re evil?

I'm so dirty at myself for clicking on that. Perhaps a "Cornes Warning" would be appreciated in future.
I'd just assume every post in this thread is one and we can slap a Cornes Free tag on the 4 posts that fit.

Ten reasons from Duffield as to why there’s cause for cautious optimism at West Coast unlike the typically negative failed fireman

1. Oscar Allen
2. Rueben Ginbey
3. Harley Reid
4. Elijah Hewett
5. Rhett Bazzo
6. Noah Long
7. Campbell Chesser
8. Bailey Williams
9. Tyler Brockman
10. Clay Hall

Oscar Allen is a bit of a stretch but as he points out Allen is still only 24 and is yet to reach 100 games

I think Brady Hough should be in there and Ryan Maric is also stiff to miss out

There’s also the likes of Burgiel, the other Reid, Barnett, Culley and the other Williams who could develop into decent AFL players

Here’s the article in full

The 2024 season shapes as ‘the year of the youngster’ at West Coast.
For two seasons the club has banked on getting enough fit senior players out there often enough to contend. Instead, they have struggled to get enough of them out there often enough to compete, much less alone contend.

There can be no more self deception now.

The club must bet on talent and development.

So who will be the Eagles most important youngster this season?

It depends on how you define youngster. If it is about hype and draft position then it is Harley Reid. If it is about accelerated development of the club’s engine room it might be Reuben Ginbey, training as a midfielder and looking like a fifth year AFL player even though this will be just his second year in the AFL system.

But if we define a young player as someone shy of his peak and short of 100 games then it is hard to argue against newly appointed co-captain Oscar Allen. He is not yet 25. He has played just 82 games and he holds the key to an Eagles attack that has lost Jack Kennedy and may soon lose an ageing Jack Darling.

Here is our list of West Coast’s most important kids and why.

1. Oscar Allen: Still just 24, he kicked 53 goals and played a lone hand in attack last year; enough to be picked in the 44 man All-Australian squad in a team that claimed the wooden spoon. You can find midfielders. Key forwards are hard to come by. Allen has the potential to be as good as any tall forward in the AFL and because of that he is West Coast’s most important asset.

2. Reuben Ginbey: When he was taken at pick No. 9 in the 2022 national draft he became the Eagles’ first top 10 pick since Andrew Gaff 12 years earlier. Ginbey already boasts a massive frame and is being primed for the midfield but it is not yet clear whether he will best fit there or as a big bodied running backman. The Eagles will be hoping it’s the midfield. If it is he will anchor the West Coast engine room for a decade and will be a player opposition mids won’t enjoy running into.

3. Harley Reid: Arrived in Perth at the centre of massive hype and may turn out to be the best of the Eagles kids. But the priority for him in 2024 will be bedding himself down in the AFL and starting to shape his role. He will start as a half back with cameos midfield. It will be better for him long term if the Eagles midfielders stay sound enough for that to be his role. Ginbey got pulled midfield permanently last year and was spent and injured by the end of the season.

4. Elijah Hewett: He played 14 games in a successful debut season and the most exciting aspect of his play was his work around stoppages – a couple of times around inside fifty stoppages. He has a long way to go to be as good as Richmond’s Shai Bolton but he is a player of that ilk – the bloke who can turn a half chance in heavy traffic into something substantial. He will almost certainly develop as a midfielder forward – slightly worrying that he has had a modified program so far this summer after foot soreness earlier in the pre-season.

5. Rhett Bazzo: Has played 20 games in his two seasons in the AFL and was still a teenager when he played the last of them. He shapes as the most promising of West Coast’s young tall defenders, which makes his development vital because Jeremy McGovern turns 32 in April and has not played more than 15 games in a season since 2019 (he played just 19 of West Coast’s last 45 games). Bazzo endured personal tragedy last year. Hopefully he is better placed to have a strong pre-season to put his best foot forward in 2024.

6. Noah Long: In a bitterly disappointing season Long was West Coast’s pleasant surprise. He was taken at pick 58 in the 2022 national draft but performed beyond expectations to play 19 games. With Liam Ryan injured Long’s role in the Eagles attack will take on increased performance and the club holds hope that he will also develop midfield. The fact he inherited former captain Luke Shuey’s number 13 jumper gives some indication of what the club thinks of him.

7. Campbell Chesser: This will be his third season on the list. He has played just 14 games but the first year was wiped out by injury. It is worth remembering he will start the season as a 20 year old. Also worth remembering he was sufficiently well regarded to be a first-round draft pick in 2021. Because we know little about him at AFL level and his junior career there is a big gap between what he might and might not turn out to be. If the Eagles get a good result with him he shapes as a big bodied wingman who is a powerful athlete. The upside is obvious.

8. Bailey Williams: He has been around a while but he won’t turn 24 until April and has played 49 games. He led the ruck last year but with Matt Flynn’s arrival he is expected to play the forward/ruck role this year. How he goes will shape how the Eagles select tall forwards. With Jake Waterman in career best condition and Ryan Maric developing, Jack Darling’s previously secure spot may come under pressure if Williams can find his feet as a marking target. All the raw materials are there: speed, size and spring. He improved last year. Needs to adapt and improve further this year.

9. Tyler Brockman: He showed enough in 26 games over three seasons at Hawthorn to suggest he will be useful as a forward – especially in the wake of Liam Ryan’s hamstring injury. He is clever, makes time for himself and is still only 21. Will probably get early season chances now and with Jamie Cripps turning 32 in April and Ryan’s future now under question after two big hamstrings the Eagles need an outcome from him.

10. Clay Hall: He isn’t quite Ginbey but is a big bodied midfielder who turns left, has a big engine and an appetite for work. He is training nicely with the Eagles midfield group at the moment. Don’t be surprised if he bobs up at AFL level early in the season. He played nine games of senior football with Peel in 2023 as well as performing strongly for the WA 18s. The Eagles would have felt pleased to see him last until their pick 38 in the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His games tally might be low but I’m not really fan of calling blokes 24/25 youngsters anymore. These are blokes now in their peak. A lot of the 06 stars where someone the best in the comp at but even the stars of our last flags were leading us and dominating the comp at that age.

Not a bad article from splinters for a change

I was one of those who wasn’t convinced in the wisdom of recruiting Hunt but he proved me wrong last year and he brings a good perspective in this interview

Will be important for at least the next two years of his contract

Link to full article is below but these are some of the best parts

“I was under no illusion coming over, I knew it would be a young team trying to grow, but obviously I didn’t expect that sort of season.
“One real positive is it has got all the players together and we’re a lot closer. You learn as much through adversity as anything else, so in the mid to long-term, a year like the last couple makes a team glue together because you have to fight through it.”

Hunt and his more senior teammates know they cannot rest on their laurels. The Eagles have been spruiking that their list features 22 players under 22.
And with that comes the hunger of the youth to establish themselves as stars and Hunt said the older guys were aware of the challenge internally, they faced to stave off the next generation.

“Through my experience, the guys pushing that first 22 are super important. Any AFL team isn’t going to be successful without a strong seconds (team) and the younger guys pushing for spots so no one feels safe in their position or no one feels safe in their position or satisfied.
“It definitely pushes everyone to get better.”

“I’ve been reflecting and with this young group and now as one of the senior guys I’ve been working on my leadership,” Hunt said.
“I haven’t held a leadership position in the past, but I now see myself as a real leader here. And that’s a space I’m continually working on with the leaders at the club and I want to help mentor these young guys through my experience.
“Show them what I’ve got to offer in that side and the advice I’ve got to give them is something I pride myself on.”

If it's an add on, do you get 2 x $25 club store vouchers?
Otherwise the $25 members "saving" is exactly the same cost as new members minus the $25 store voucher lol...

I have no idea I bought the Giants one for $230, I just wanted the cheapest Kayo and the clubs gotten enough of my money over the years

Good old Dermott

I have no issue with anyone suggesting we’ll finish last but saying we’ll be worse than last year (3 wins/53%) is silly

The core of his reasoning is that we’ve become younger/less experienced on the back of Hurn, Shuey and Naitanui retiring

Between them they played 23 games combined - Hurn (13), Shuey (10 @ 58% game time across those 10) and Naitanui didn’t play a single game. They weren’t significant contributors so it’s questionable is to what impact their absence will have

More importantly if McGovern (9 games last season, Yeo (10), Cripps (12), Cole (12), Jones (13) and Barrass (14) can stay on the park this year then they more than cover the loss of the 3 retirees. If Ryan (just 3 games in 2023) can successfully recover from his hammy that becomes a pleasant bonus

To make matters worse he references both North Melbourne and Hawthorn as comparisons

North actually lost more experience with us due to the departures of Goldstein, Ziebell, McKay and Cunnington. They were equally as bad as us in 2024 but he expects them to improve while we go further backwards. Dermot logic

As for Hawthorn, he points to their improvement in 2023 after a slew of list changes at the end of 2022 made them significantly younger. So he applauds Hawthorn for what they did to improve whilst arguing us doing something similar will make us worse

These clowns get paid for their opinions

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back