News Media Thread, 2023: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just another example of the wokeness of the AFL.
Pretty sure the players are not that precious.

No big deal but the fact it has just been part of player profiles for so long and now all of a sudden it isn't appropriate just gives more strength to the belief our AFL competition is run by a bunch of pansy muppets.

I have never understood how it is at all relevant, other than keeping avishka entertained.

Heights make sense from a tactical perspective but weight reveals virtually nothing meaningful at all.

Just another example of the wokeness of the AFL.

No big deal but the fact it has just been part of player profiles for so long and now all of a sudden it isn't appropriate just gives more strength to the belief our AFL competition is run by a bunch of pansy muppets.

How's it "woke"? Is it woke because you don't like it? Or is it woke because someone told you you should be upset by it?

If the current generation sees it as a potential issue and no longer wants it posted, why should older people step in the way?

They (people like Cornes) are not the ones playing anymore.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Probably more an AFLW players concern that has been blanketed across to the mens
Highly likely the AFL has received data showing that scrutinised player weights are a deterrent to girls taking up the sport.

If true, it’s an absolute no brainer to remove that roadblock, considering it adds very little value to continue publicising player weights.

AFLW weights haven’t been published at least since we came into the competition (not sure what happened before that).

AFL weights have been published in the Record for decades.

Ultimately I doubt it matters much, but if the reason is to standardise the treatment of the men’s and women’s comps I don’t see why it needed to change.

Have to agree with Kane, we are getting softer day by day. In isolation it may seem trivial, what does it matter if it makes them happy. But if you add it to the endless little changes happening constantly like just this week Woolies and Aldi refusing to sell Australia day merchandise, South Australia renaming Anzac day etc etc... all to avoid hurting a very small % of peoples feelings.

Look at the bigger picture, at the macro level, Where do we end up in 5, 10, 20 years? With the advancement of technology, probably with double speak and thought police.

Kane on the money as per.

In a sporting competition where athleticism is more important than ever, there's no reason player weights shouldn't be published. It doesn't seem much different to player heights, both play a factor in positional strategy and roles for individual players.

Are players offended by them being public knowledge? Would be interesting to see if anyone has said this publicly.

I'm viewing this as someone who lost a lot of weight over the last few years. If the players (in either comp - the AFLW numbers should be posted also) are uncomfortable as professional athletes having their numbers posted, maybe they need to work harder.

The 'wokeness' depends on the AFL's reasoning for it, of course. I couldn't see anything posted on the AFL website about it so who knows.

I understand the 'it doesn't really matter' angle and it doesn't really, just my personal take. Not going to be too upset by it either way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to agree with Kane, we are getting softer day by day. In isolation it may seem trivial, what does it matter if it makes them happy. But if you add it to the endless little changes happening constantly like just this week Woolies and Aldi refusing to sell Australia day merchandise, South Australia renaming Anzac day etc etc... all to avoid hurting a very small % of peoples feelings.

Look at the bigger picture, at the macro level, Where do we end up in 5, 10, 20 years? With the advancement of technology, probably with double speak and thought police.

First I've heard of the ANZAC Day one. What's the story there? Are all battles we've lost now cancelled, cos I ain't stopping referring to the Emu War every chance I get, damn it!

First I've heard of the ANZAC Day one. What's the story there? Are all battles we've lost now cancelled, cos I ain't stopping referring to the Emu War every chance I get, damn it!

The claim the South Australian government has cancelled the Anzac Day public holiday is false.

While the Public Holidays Bill 2023 does not name April 25 as Anzac Day, it protects the date as a public holiday.

Further, a separate state law enshrines April 25 as Anzac Day and protects the date as a day of remembrance.

False – The claim is inaccurate.

Tagging Woobla Stainz because we really shouldn't trot out misinformation if he is worried about 2024 turning into 1984.

Brilliant work from Matt Turner. I think he's from WA as well which makes this even worse.

Paywalled: CODE Sports

WHAT HAPPENED IN 2023?​

West Coast collected a second consecutive wooden spoon after a miserable season that yielded just one win from the first 19 rounds.

Thanks for sinking the boot in Matt.

How's it "woke"? Is it woke because you don't like it? Or is it woke because someone told you you should be upset by it?

If the current generation sees it as a potential issue and no longer wants it posted, why should older people step in the way?

They (people like Cornes) are not the ones playing anymore.

How is the AFL Woke? Have you not seen all the changes in the past 20 years?
I'm all about being on the front foot with regard to nullifying racism and discrimination etc but in MY view the AFL goes way overboard in some areas while brushing other important issues under that massive rug at AFL house.

As far as someone telling me I should be upset, ah no. I make up my own mind and have my own opinions, albeit I know when to hold my tongue.
I may not be as easily offended as the "current generation" but I also do not go out of my way to offend.
I guess I am just from the HTFU generation

Didn't Woolworth's announce that they weren't selling Australia Day merch at the same time the public found out that they were being investigated for price gouging?

I don't think they're doing it to avoid "hurting people's feelings"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back