News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m curious as to why this isn’t getting more attention

I get that it wasn’t malicious and that Johnston took in his stride but supporters simply can’t be touching opposition players

Had Johnston reacted differently this could have been far worse and I doubt very much it would be overlooked if it was an eagles fan touching Daicos at Optus. Or even if it was Reid rather than Johnston

Commentators didn’t even mention it

How’s all the mouth breathing Pies fans in the replies on this though? “Your a f*%khead that takes offence on someone else’s behalf. Nothin’ malicious just innocent fun”.

As you say if it happened at Optus it would be “those booing fans over there are ferals!”.

I get that it wasn’t malicious and that Johnston took in his stride but supporters simply can’t be touching opposition players

Had Johnston reacted differently this could have been far worse and I doubt very much it would be overlooked if it was an eagles fan touching Daicos at Optus. Or even if it was Reid rather than Johnston

This has happened before and resulted in bans being handed out to patrons. Wonder if anything will come of it this time, or if it's only an issue sometimes.

I think it will get one of the AFL’s special ‘Please Explains’ that they like to send out when something doesn’t have great ‘optics’ but could otherwise just be ignored (ala Tom Hawkins looking at a mobile phone a few weeks back).

The only question would be whether the query goes to Collingwood, the gentleman himself or directly to his parole officer.

I called it in the gameday thread as soon as it happened - the bloke in the crowd had both hands around Johnston's head, and while there was nothing malicious in it you simply cant be touching players like that.

The AFL is a workplace, and you wouldnt tolerate some muppet grabbing your head in the office.

I called it in the gameday thread as soon as it happened - the bloke in the crowd had both hands around Johnston's head, and while there was nothing malicious in it you simply cant be touching players like that.

The AFL is a workplace, and you wouldnt tolerate some muppet grabbing your head in the office.
Felt the same at the time - can only lead to trouble

Unless the rules have changed old mate who rubbed HJ’s should cop a ban. This is a snippet from the Pickett article linked above
Said by AFL GM customer & commercial

"Our clear message is this – we love the interactions between players and fans especially in the precious moments pre and post-game – however what we saw on Friday night during the match is not acceptable and never will be."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it will get one of the AFL’s special ‘Please Explains’ that they like to send out when something doesn’t have great ‘optics’ but could otherwise just be ignored (ala Tom Hawkins looking at a mobile phone a few weeks back).

The only question would be whether the query goes to Collingwood, the gentleman himself or directly to his parole officer.
But how will you track him down .

Put out an APB for a junky bogan Collingwood supporter with face tats ! It doesn't narrow it down very much .

Im thinking more like fans grabbing at players to prevent them from playing on quickly, basically impacting the game.

Also imagine copping an errant finger in the eye as a result of a fan grabbing you from behind.
Isn't that what happened on Sunday. Bloke stripped him of the footy and threw it back to the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back