News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

There's no way that guy washes his hands.

Guaranteed

Half time - have a dart, take a slash, eat a pie and lick fingers, rubs hands on pants, touches Harvey's face.

Imagine having that dude touch your face - it'd be a mixture of stale tobacco and turpentine stench rubbed on you. Vile.
Ahaha.

Also unrelated had a tradie in at my work a few weeks back. He comes up to me suddenly and goes “hey man can I have some milk?” Ask him why and he says he accidentally drank a bunch of turps. Genuinely thought he only had a sip but apparently had a few big swigs. Tried to convince him to go to the ED but I swear he just went home afterwards

Guaranteed

Half time - have a dart, take a slash, eat a pie and lick fingers, rubs hands on pants, touches Harvey's face.

What I'd be doing if I was Johnston...

Face Off Movie GIF

Ahaha.

Also unrelated had a tradie in at my work a few weeks back. He comes up to me suddenly and goes “hey man can I have some milk?” Ask him why and he says he accidentally drank a bunch of turps. Genuinely thought he only had a sip but apparently had a few big swigs. Tried to convince him to go to the ED but I swear he just went home afterwards
'Accidental', lmao.

Bloke's an alcoholic and forgot the OJ, for sure...

I called it in the gameday thread as soon as it happened - the bloke in the crowd had both hands around Johnston's head, and while there was nothing malicious in it you simply cant be touching players like that.

The AFL is a workplace, and you wouldnt tolerate some muppet grabbing your head in the office.

Don’t know about that…. That was considered foreplay at office sundowners at one business I used to work at…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Why would you let your profile pick be one where you haven't done your tie up properly? It's sagging and the top button is still done up - he looks foolish and quite frankly I'd never let him anywhere near my silverware.

Whilst I obviously agree that death threats are a little over the top, the fact I could probably count on my fingers the number of days Harley HASN'T been on the back page in one form or another since two days before we even drafted him should be a concern. I've seen this guys Twitter, he literally revels in people having a genuine annoyance of the over exposure of the kid, he replies to like every single persons Tweets. Just leave him alone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as I think The Worst have harassed Harley, Waddell's points aren't wrong either. He has said he accepts the criticism of their coverage, explained why he disagrees and will continue, and said he shouldn't be threatened for the work he has done.

I am skeptical that they would do anything other than continue putting out easy money clickbait, but surely the reading public has some culpability here too. They will change their approach when people stop buying all the Harley back pages.

If you disagree with their work the response is not to threaten harm to the editor.

Pretty sure if Harley met the dude he would have a laugh about it all anyway, like when he met the Victorian toerag last year whose name I have pleasantly forgotten for now.

Look the test is whether or not Harley would accept sponsorship or money for back page pictures from the west.

If he does accept some sort of payment as a result of having is his face on the backpage that means he doesn't mind it.

The west should test it out. We can then all move on.

It's a win win for all parties.

1. Either Harley indicates he hates it in which case he will never be on back page.
2. Harley indicates he doesn't mind it if he gets paid. And west can continue

A few quotes that shows just how dumb they are:

"Admittedly, our coverage of the 19-year-old sensation has been over the top since he was drafted late last year."
What’s interesting is that these messages are often from the same people, or often “burner” accounts, who believe that our coverage could impact Reid’s mental health — a subject that my colleagues and I take very seriously.
But some despise it — and that’s OK as well. Former Eagles player Will Schofield dedicated his News Corp column last week to our coverage of Reid, offering a perspective from someone who has been inside the four walls and seen the impact that media hype can have on the club’s top stars.
“For those who think we’ve gone a bit crazy with our coverage, we only have one thing to say . . . you ain’t seen nothing yet!”

Do I think people should get death threats, no.
Do i think the people at the west have caused an issue of their own making without any kind of introspective look as to the ramifications? Yep.

They say they have 100% intentionally been over the top and will be even more so in the future but aren't listening at all when people, fans, ex-players,current players tell them to back off.

Suddenly they are surprised when the fringes do dumb stuff in an attempt to help?
Do they even realise the very content they put out often directs those same fringe idiots to attack the kid simply because he is on the cover?

It smacks of hypocrisy and sympathy chasing.

Sorry Jakeb but is it very scarrrrrry death threats or a bizarre attempt at launching your media brand?

Because I can't take you seriously when you voluntarily put your face out there - to say nothing of the 20 years too late ironic take on at a 70s newsman.

This isn't My Lai, you aren't reporting on cartels. You've got roughly the same amount of death threats as an egirl with 1000 followers. Spare me.

When a proper journalist doing a story on something like bikies and the drug trade gets death threats then they’re genuine and need to be taken seriously

When a snotty nosed, out of his depth sports editor leveraging OTT interest in a young footballer to generate clicks gets a few nasty emails with cartoonish threats of violence they aren’t genuine and shouldn’t be taken particularly seriously

If he was properly fearful on their authenticity he’d have gone to the police rather than write a lame arse column pleading for sympathy

What’s worse he still doesn’t get why people are upset with the coverage they’ve given to Reid. The West has zero regard for his well being but want their 5 readers to consider his

heck him with a few of these

IMG_5470.jpeg

Complete flog, no sympathy.

I really doubt the authenticity of the threats anyway, bloke just wants attention. Stop engaging with him or the paper, don't share it, read it, buy it or anything else he puts his floggy little hands on.

Anyone sending death threats is also a moron though. That's like year 8 stuff. In fact, it could be teenagers with burner accounts but it's just as likely adults.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back