Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of corporate areas must not of been in use, cause all seats were pretty chocker blocked and they were packed in like sardines down on the ground.
Thought there must of been 85-90000 there for sure

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
You do lose a fair bit of capacity behind the stage though

G'day guys. Tickets just released for Brazil vs Argentina however there seems to be no MCC option on ticketek? Is the members reserve going to be a thing that night?

G'day guys. Tickets just released for Brazil vs Argentina however there seems to be no MCC option on ticketek? Is the members reserve going to be a thing that night?
It costs around $50 for members reserve.
Wouldn't waste my money seeing both sides reserves running around. Messi and Neymar will be lucky to play ten minutes each considering it's a warm up for confed cup.

It costs around $50 for members reserve.
Wouldn't waste my money seeing both sides reserves running around. Messi and Neymar will be lucky to play ten minutes each considering it's a warm up for confed cup.

Whether or not they play isn't likely to have much to do with the Confederations Cup seeing as neither Brazil or Argentina are playing in it.

Got tickets for Round 1 in the Ponsford Stand on level 2. Looking on the MCG site on the seat map it looks as though its a "restricted viewing" seat (although didn't mention this on ticketek). There looks to be an overhang from the Great Southern Stand in the AFL Members Area.

Has anyone sat in Bay 28 or 29 on the second level in the Ponsford Stand and is this view considerably restricted?

Any help would be appreciated.

Latest grab for taxpayer money comes to nought :thumbsu:
The Melbourne Cricket Club (MCC) has shelved plans to create a roof walk and zip line at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG).

The club won $650,000 in Victorian Government funding to develop the $2.5 million concept which would allow sports fans to walk across part of the MCG's roof and fly between the grandstands on a harnessed flying fox.

The zip line was to run from scoreboard to scoreboard, while the walk would take place at the city-end of the stadium.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-14/mcg-to-give-back-money-for-planned-zipline/8444734

Latest grab for taxpayer money comes to nought :thumbsu:
The Melbourne Cricket Club (MCC) has shelved plans to create a roof walk and zip line at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG).

The club won $650,000 in Victorian Government funding to develop the $2.5 million concept which would allow sports fans to walk across part of the MCG's roof and fly between the grandstands on a harnessed flying fox.

The zip line was to run from scoreboard to scoreboard, while the walk would take place at the city-end of the stadium.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-14/mcg-to-give-back-money-for-planned-zipline/8444734

You'd think there would be plenty of better ways to spend the money. Even if was to be extravagant spending, this just seemed a little bit pointless and s**t.

You'd think there would be plenty of better ways to spend the money. Even if was to be extravagant spending, this just seemed a little bit pointless and s**t.

Was a blatant attempt to mimic Adelaide Oval's Roof Climb. Pity it didn't take off would've been awesome to do.

Hi all, does anyone have any information on when the current Rod Laver Arena - MCG footbridge was built?

I have a photo from (what I believe is) 1997 taken from what seems to be a carpark on the Melbourne Park side of the railway tracks looking across to the old Ponsford Stand, but the bridge in the current location seems to look more like the current Hisense Arena-MCG footbridge (open with the truss formation, rather than the enclosed type it is today).

I have found a couple of photos from seemingly pre-Northern Stand redevelopment (2004-2006) which seem to show the edge of the current RLA-MCG bridge in the early 2000s, so I'm wondering if anyone knows if it was upgraded between 1997 and the early 2000s?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi all, does anyone have any information on when the current Rod Laver Arena - MCG footbridge was built?

I have a photo from (what I believe is) 1997 taken from what seems to be a carpark on the Melbourne Park side of the railway tracks looking across to the old Ponsford Stand, but the bridge in the current location seems to look more like the current Hisense Arena-MCG footbridge (open with the truss formation, rather than the enclosed type it is today).

I have found a couple of photos from seemingly pre-Northern Stand redevelopment (2004-2006) which seem to show the edge of the current RLA-MCG bridge in the early 2000s, so I'm wondering if anyone knows if it was upgraded between 1997 and the early 2000s?
Is this it here? Pg 5
http://www.cimic.com.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0012/11136/N_Tvolume1_2000.pdf

MCG in 1944 apparently

Beaufighter.jpg

View attachment 368497

Here's a photo I dug up in regards to my last post. Punt Rd Oval (left). circa 1952.

Great photo. For those without a sense of direction. This photo looks basically directly south at the 'G.
The street in the bottom left corner is Wellington Parade where Jolimont is. Obviously MCG in the middle and Punt Road oval on the far left.
The oval in the middle to the right of that building (just behind the MCG) is where the Tennis Centre/Melbourne Park is now. Behind that is Olympic Bvd. The glasshouse is the building right next to the Yarra and the oval next to it is the old Olympic Park - all now Holden Centre.
The two ovals and industrial looking section to the left of that are the current site of AAMI Park.
The last bit to the left of that is Gosch's Paddock.

Here's a photo I dug up in regards to my last post. Punt Rd Oval (left). circa 1952.

That's 1956 or later, the Olympic Stand was barely finished in time for the Olympics in November.

lol the old motor dome. something that not many people will have known about! it also hosted a few footy games back in the day

The Motordome was demolished before this photo. The Olympic velodrome can be seen on Swan Street with Olympic Park No. 2 behind it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back