Melbourne - What am I missing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst I agree South Australians have a more high brow accent than the rest, the Victorian accent is also different to the rest of Australia and very distinguishable. Their confusion in the usage and pronunciation of the letters A and E in a lot of words is a huge give away.

So it's not Eddielaide?....HUH.

I love living in Melbourne. Have been around the world a bit (though yet to touch the Americas) and can comfortably say there's not too much it doesn't have. Parks galore, pretty decent nightlife if you know where to look, happening CBD, great food, sporting culture, MCG, etc. Biggest drawback is the poor public transport and the traffic at peak times (two issues are related obv). It might lack the nightlife of a Berlin or the architecture and history of Paris but is just a pretty well rounded city. Beaches in Melbourne are honestly fine for a dip after work, their 'dirtiness' is heavily exaggerated imo, and the coasts are a short drive away anyway. Yeah it's expensive but we also have one of the highest min wages in the world, it's all relative. Although I haven't started thinking about owning my own house yet...

Strongly disagree and it is not even close. Go anywhere in asia... literally anywhere and you will be proven wrong

The driving is far different there but I don't think they are as selfish as us. The rules seem to be more of a guide than here but they allow everyone to pass and do their thing.

The driving is far different there but I don't think they are as selfish as us. The rules seem to be more of a guide than here but they allow everyone to pass and do their thing.

No they don't. I saw three fist fights in an hour and a half cab ride when I was last in shanghai due to selfish drivers royally ******* up traffic so they could save themselves 10 seconds

No they don't. I saw three fist fights in an hour and a half cab ride when I was last in shanghai due to selfish drivers royally ******* up traffic so they could save themselves 10 seconds

Well that's different to my experience in a lot of asian cities. In Bangkok our driver turned across 4 lanes of traffic and they all slowed down so he could get across. I explained that in Melbourne he would get tooted and chased if he tried that and he couldn't believe it.

I love living in Melbourne. Have been around the world a bit (though yet to touch the Americas) and can comfortably say there's not too much it doesn't have. Parks galore, pretty decent nightlife if you know where to look, happening CBD, great food, sporting culture, MCG, etc. Biggest drawback is the poor public transport and the traffic at peak times (two issues are related obv). It might lack the nightlife of a Berlin or the architecture and history of Paris but is just a pretty well rounded city. Beaches in Melbourne are honestly fine for a dip after work, their 'dirtiness' is heavily exaggerated imo, and the coasts are a short drive away anyway. Yeah it's expensive but we also have one of the highest min wages in the world, it's all relative. Although I haven't started thinking about owning my own house yet...

Pretty much spot on mate, all that. I am an aide and I earn more/the same as a teacher in the USA. So it is all relative. But yes, I've pretty much let go the "dream" of owning a house. Yet that doesn't really phase me in the least, would be happy with a flat/smaller type of property anyway. Houses with a big yard would be a bitch to maintain anyway.

Love the GOR. I reckon in my old age (in b4 you there already) I'd like to live in Apollo Bay, its gorgeous. The distance from Melbourne does worry me a little tho. One day perhaps maybe I'd like to live in Geelong. Like 50 mins on a train and you're in Melbourne so that's not too bad.

I live an hour from Melbourne, on the coast. Best of both worlds. Melbourne is only an hour away, go up regularly for social or sporting things, but don't have to put up with the bullshit. It's a great city, especially when you live an hour from it on the coast.

And what's this no beaches garbage? Bells is 15 minutes from me and the whole of this coastline has fantastic beaches. Because you don't have a beach on Collins st there's no beaches?
That sounds ideal to me, I lived an hour west of London, and loved it. Close enough to go up town without any hassles, and far enough away that there was plenty of fresh air, and open spaces.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not one of them. I also say parma instead of parmi... I'm probably going to get lynched eventually.

SAPOL are on to you. Expect a knock on the door soon, you filthy Vic spy.

Asia is completely different. Compare us to Europe or the US and we're genuinely atrocious.

Every single place I have loved loves to s**t on their fellow towns/state/country as drivers. As someone who has driven in Asia, North America and England / Ireland I can Genuinely say we are no worse than anywhere else and a shitload better than the majority of Asian cities

Remove this Banner Ad

Back