A-League Grand Finals To Be Played In Sydney Has Been Revoked! Replaced By 'Unite Round'

A-League

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet Qatar have also produced the most interesting/even and fascinating series of results at a World Cup in probably decades

Depends what you are looking for at a World Cup Host I suppose.

Yeah it's great seeing great underdogs like Croatia make a SF after check notes making the final at the last WC.

She's really falling apart now. The blood-utensil suckers are crying poor, CCM are blaming everyone else, Victory has quit the APL board, the Nux were the first out with a strong statement to end up falling in line.

There's no way this decision can stand and be tenable, after everything that's happened over the last nearly-20 years, this can't be the end can it?

What odds were Morocco given making the semis ? Or Euro Giants Germany and Spain being knocked out early ?

Germany didn't make it out of the group last WC either.

Spain lost in the round of 16 last time too.

Stop riding Qatar so hard, it's embarrassing.

Yet Qatar have also produced the most interesting/even and fascinating series of results at a World Cup in probably decades

Depends what you are looking for at a World Cup Host I suppose.

Qatar dont produce the football (apart from an embarrassingly bad host NT). Anyone can host a tournament if a blank cheque is the budget .

Antarctica could host a great tournament if someone wanted to spend a trillion dollars on it.

Qatar dont produce the football (apart from an embarrassingly bad host NT). Anyone can host a tournament if a blank cheque is the budget .

Antarctica could host a great tournament if someone wanted to spend a trillion dollars on it.

You are being obtuse and disingenuous now !

We would all be pooping bricks if our National/Federsl Government gave our Socceroos and Football Infrastructure even a quater of the funding the Qatari govt have given their own program (Oil Money or resources not withstanding)

Anyhow I think (for the most part) aside from the indefensible deaths of Migrant hosts and one or two more teething hosts, Qatar have been very good and civilised hosts of the world cup (the tragic death of journalist Grant Wahl was clearly natural health causes, as awful as it was)

I don't think there will be another world cup in the Middle East for a long time (maybe not in our lifetime) and if you took off your well intentioned and passionate (but biased) glasses as an Australian fan, you would begrudgingly admit this too.

I haven't enjoy a WC so much since 2006 personally as a viewer.

You are being obtuse and disingenuous now !

We would all be pooping bricks if our National/Federsl Government gave our Socceroos and Football Infrastructure even a quater of the funding the Qatari govt have given their own program (Oil Money or resources not withstanding)

Anyhow I think (for the most part) aside from the indefensible deaths of Migrant hosts and one or two more teething hosts, Qatar have been very good and civilised hosts of the world cup (the tragic death of journalist Grant Wahl was clearly natural health causes, as awful as it was)

I don't think there will be another world cup in the Middle East for a long time (maybe not in our lifetime) and if you took off your well intentioned and passionate (but biased) glasses as an Australian fan, you would begrudgingly admit this too.

I haven't enjoy a WC so much since 2006 personally as a viewer.

Of course we would as we are not governed by a royal family that does as it pleases with the national investment fund. Thank goodness for that!

Lucky the world cup would have cost less than 10 billion to host here as opposed to the 300 billion and thousands of migrant deaths it cost in Qatar.

The standard of this tournament has also been compronised due to the mid season world cup caused by the inability of Qatar to host the tournament in June / July as per ths bidding contract. Standard wise it is poor

No similar nation will ever host a WC tournament again either. FIFA exco of 24 members only cared about their bank accounts. Now with 211 associations voting buying the WC is nearly impossible.

Of course we would as we are not governed by a royal family that does as it pleases with the national investment fund. Thank goodness for that!

Lucky the world cup would have cost less than 10 billion to host here as opposed to the 300 billion and thousands of migrant deaths it cost in Qatar.

The standard of this tournament has also been compronised due to the mid season world cup caused by the inability of Qatar to host the tournament in June / July as per ths bidding contract. Standard wise it is poor

No similar nation will ever host a WC tournament again either. FIFA exco of 24 members only cared about their bank accounts. Now with 211 associations voting buying the WC is nearly impossible.

I acknowledge most of your points there, but I strongly dispute your middle paragraph about the quality of the tournament being '"compromised" due to the timing of the tournament.

Going in, France and Argentina were two of the bookies favourites to win the World Cup before the tournament, and the cream as they say, rose to the crop.

Was a bit shocked Brazil were knocked out before the semi final stage, but that is football for you. You cannot tell me it's not healthy for global football that Asian and African Football teams have had a serious and significant impact at this World Cup.

Feel like you're clutching at straws with that observation my friend, I think the quality of football throughout the tournament has been outstanding (although happy to concede the players and managers/coaching staff of all 32 teams deserve most credit for that)

o31JyV5.jpg

I hope it eventuates to be a Western United vs Wellington Grand Final, they'd be lucky to get 100 people.

It was already embarrassing enough when they were giving out free tickets for last season's grand final and still barely managed to crack 20k.

I don't even know how the next few weeks pan out, will a month of horrific crowds be enough to flush Danny Townsend out and have the contract torn up? Will the Vic govt follow on from their Netball heroics and save the day when NSW rescind their sponsorship? lol

I guess this is our version of the Super League debacle.

CCM chairman statement, wow.

This confirms DiPietro initially voted in favour for the proposal then backfliped after the fan backlash.

I think he has been chairman for Melbourne Victory too long and should resign. If he genuinely thought this was in the best interests of fans, he should resign. If he bailed to peer pressure to vote in favor, he should go as he is clearly not a strong enough leader to push back. Geoff Lord would not stand for this crap.

The resignation from the APL board was done purely to save face after the catastrophe error he made when he held a voting interest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm 20 mins in to the Wellington fans podcast, basically the fans are obviously not happy at all, and relay the general consensus, but acknowledge that "we never would have hosted a Grand Final/finished 1st, so it probably benefits us a little more than most - get free money" 😅
Also Rob Morrison, our Chairman couldn't make the late night vote because, well, it was midnight when the doubling down happened.

They only talk about it for 26mins if you did want to check it out.

Last edited:
APL said it took 12 months to negotiate the Tourism NSW deal.
APL said they new they would cop backlash from some fans.

Why did they spend 12 months doing a deal but seemingly spend no time figuring out a strategy to sell the deal to the fans?
Why in 12 months of negotiation did they not discuss the deal with the non board clubs?
Why in the 12 months did they not talk to other state governments to get a better deal? (Tourism Vic said they were not contacted)

Lot's of questions and no answers.

She's really falling apart now. The blood-utensil suckers are crying poor, CCM are blaming everyone else, Victory has quit the APL board, the Nux were the first out with a strong statement to end up falling in line.

There's no way this decision can stand and be tenable, after everything that's happened over the last nearly-20 years, this can't be the end can it?

Predict they will backtrack and end up on locking the FFA Cup final into being played every year at Wanderers Stadium.

I acknowledge most of your points there, but I strongly dispute your middle paragraph about the quality of the tournament being '"compromised" due to the timing of the tournament.

Going in, France and Argentina were two of the bookies favourites to win the World Cup before the tournament, and the cream as they say, rose to the crop.

Was a bit shocked Brazil were knocked out before the semi final stage, but that is football for you. You cannot tell me it's not healthy for global football that Asian and African Football teams have had a serious and significant impact at this World Cup.

Feel like you're clutching at straws with that observation my friend, I think the quality of football throughout the tournament has been outstanding (although happy to concede the players and managers/coaching staff of all 32 teams deserve most credit for that
The tournament results have little to do with Qatar, even if its the best tournament for football. The negativity off pitch is overblown though, I know people who had a blast in Qatar so the fear mongering was definitely a media thing and sheep gobbling it up. Workers are abused everywhere, so are human rights. Its just sour grapes and racism.

As for the A-League its a dog s**t federation with dog s**t football and won't be changing any time soon

The tournament results have little to do with Qatar, even if its the best tournament for football. The negativity off pitch is overblown though, I know people who had a blast in Qatar so the fear mongering was definitely a media thing and sheep gobbling it up. Workers are abused everywhere, so are human rights. Its just sour grapes and racism.

As for the A-League its a dog s**t federation with dog s**t football and won't be changing any time soon

So then why are you in this thread?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back