Teams Miami Dolphins - The Fins

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Best of luck to John Beck

Actually thinking about it Vinnie would have been a good option for Miami both he and Marino were/are absolute statues in the pocket.

Interestingly that it was VT on that MNF many moons ago when ARNIE made a guest appearance in the booth watching the Jets led by VT getting smashed by the Dolphins... and Arnie's HT remark was... "Jets will come back" and I rememember it like yestrday coz I was watching it with a die-heart Fins fan who was sweating buckets in the last quarter as VT was carving the Fins to pieces...5 TD's in the second half alone to force OT and you guessed it...Jets won ! :D Why the Dolphins didn't chase VT before he got snaffled up by the Browns is one for the ages.. btw...on Tuesday VT celebrated his 44th! :p

And Vinny T!

The list is an absolute train wreck...

All I'll say about Beck is it's about bloody time. Should've been in earlier.
Earlier??? :eek:
The Fins decided saving the rookie for an experienced campaigner which was the sensible option.. did you really think that Beck would have the cast around him like Big Ben did in 2004 to go first 13 starts UNDEFEATED?? very ambitious Fuey..very ambitious.. gotta love hindsight eh? ;)

well he is going to need it.

Especially in week 12 on MNF when teammate Joey Porter has his homecoming. I still love Joey! :p

Earlier??? :eek:
The Fins decided saving the rookie for an experienced campaigner which was the sensible option.. did you really think that Beck would have the cast around him like Big Ben did in 2004 to go first 13 starts UNDEFEATED?? very ambitious Fuey..very ambitious.. gotta love hindsight eh? ;)

I'm a very big believer in "sink or swim". See what they're made of early.

If they're good enough, they'll do fine.

Different situations require different approaches, however.

If I was coaching the Dolphins, providing Beck knew the playbook, he would've started day 1, and have a veteran QB for backup (not sure if Green would've gone there to be a backup). ONLY take the kid out if he's injured.

Here's a story which I'm sure everyone will know...

A number of years ago, a young party boy QB got his break when the regular QB got injured. He played well enough to keep the job, wasn't perfect, he made mistakes, 37 TDs and 37 INTs in two years at the helm.
Turns out, this kid is the greatest QB of all time!:p

Like I said, sink or swim. No use fu cking around with these high draft picks.

I'm a very big believer in "sink or swim". See what they're made of early.

If they're good enough, they'll do fine.

Different situations require different approaches, however.

Like I said, sink or swim. No use fu cking around with these high draft picks.

That's something the Raiders ought to think about.. totally forgot about Green.. the FINS just went belly up on all options but the Raiders...well, :confused:

Rookie QB's IMO need to learn the speed of the game. NFL rookies aren't like AFL rookies, these guys have played at a serious level under serious pressure before. Learning a playbook shouldn't be difficult - being able execute it is the key. There's only one way to find that out and that's to do it on the field.

However I do think there's times when you protect a rookie. When you have a new system, new lineman, injuries, etc you're crazy throwing in a bloke you're trying to evaluate.

IMO, unless you have the offense already built bar the QB - go for a gun rookie any day of the week. If you don't - go for the veteran who knows the speed of the game.

The Dophins did the right thing this year in bringing in a veteran when they did. They sort of had no choice after the **** up they made with the position last year. How different would Miami's fortunes have been if they'd signed Brees?

The Dolphins did the right thing this year in bringing in a veteran when they did. They sort of had no choice after the **** up they made with the position last year. How different would Miami's fortunes have been if they'd signed Brees?

Great post JD. Interesting how Sean Payton quickly transformed the Saints from a basket case to a Conf Champship play-off team. With only a handful of changes.. JD would know who moved on and what not but the burning question isn't just whether how different Miami's fortunes would of been had they snared Brees but more the case of Sean Payton. Cam Cameron is one man in the whole equation, does anyone know how much staff he bought accross from SD??

I'm thinking Ken WHISENHUNT now, the QB position was sound when he arrived then it got turbulant but is easing back.. funny thing that, everyone was CONVINCED Leinart was the answer, the future (may still be for that matter) but he sure didn't catch on like many expected.

ie: Lienart <<<< Alex Smith?? interesting?

Interestingly that it was VT on that MNF many moons ago when ARNIE made a guest appearance in the booth watching the Jets led by VT getting smashed by the Dolphins... and Arnie's HT remark was... "Jets will come back" and I rememember it like yestrday coz I was watching it with a die-heart Fins fan who was sweating buckets in the last quarter as VT was carving the Fins to pieces...5 TD's in the second half alone to force OT and you guessed it...Jets won ! :D Why the Dolphins didn't chase VT before he got snaffled up by the Browns is one for the ages.. btw...on Tuesday VT celebrated his 44th! :p

The Monday Night Miracle, the fins were up 30-7 into the fourth quarter and lost 40-37 in OT. One of the biggest comebacks ever.

I hope John Beck turns out alright especially after taking Ginn over Brady Quinn, Lemon was never going to be the Dolphins answer to QB.

I give us a chance this week against the up and down Eagles, and we'll surely beat the Jets in a couple of weeks. Fins have lost 5 games this season by only 3 points.

With Miami season gone this year its good to see a new (Rookie) QB used by the phins, and not recycle players , i hope he get to play all of the last seven games.

Miami's QB record since marino left

Jay Fielder 36-23
Gus Frerotte 9-6
Joey Harrington 5-6
A.J Feeley 3-5
Ray Lucas 2-4
Damon Huard 1-0
Daunte Culpepper 1-3
Sage Rosenfels 0-2
Trent Green 0-5
Cleo Lemon 0-5
John Beck ???

Brian Brohm

Beck is playing for his career already... haha... he has to someone get enough wins to get them out of range of the No.1 pick so Brohm isn't the NEXT QB of Miami

I give us a chance this week against the up and down Eagles, and we'll surely beat the Jets in a couple of weeks. Fins have lost 5 games this season by only 3 points.

No. You won't beat the Jets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hows Teddy Ginn doing?

Apparently shithouse.

He has got 8 catches... I reckon that would give him pretty sore hands. Been getting 1 catch a week last few... 23 yard kick return average... which is alright.

Hows Teddy Ginn doing?

Apparently shithouse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7gOtrFr2Uw

Here is one of his two kickoff return TD's this season, both were brought back because of holding penalties. The video is one from earlier in the season against the Browns. He scored one last week against the Bills that would have won the game if a holding penalty wasn't called.

No. You won't beat the Jets.

I'm optimistic, I put $5 on the Fins to beat the Eagles this week. $25 if it comes through.

I'm looking forward to the game against the Steelers, not that I think we'll win but just to see them on Fox. I'm sick of watching the Cowboys every week.

I'm optimistic, I put $5 on the Fins to beat the Eagles this week. $25 if it comes through.

I'm looking forward to the game against the Steelers, not that I think we'll win but just to see them on Fox. I'm sick of watching the Cowboys every week.

I await that game also... Joey's homecoming.. pity we haven't missed a beat without him.. :eek: :D

porter540.jpg

I guess Joey looks happy to be in Miami..

p1_porter1.jpg

I await that game also... Joey's homecoming.. pity we haven't missed a beat without him.. :eek: :D

Steelers are looking good, I enjoyed watching the games against the Eagles the other week.

Steelers are looking good, I enjoyed watching the games against the Eagles the other week.

STEELERS on the rebound... there is going to be some serious juju during the week.. just the tonic to prime us for the Week 14 showdown @ NE but we have to stick the hook into the fish this week. Miami got 3 turnovers vs the Eagles this week.. O-line can't take them lightly.. that's where our game comes undone along with special teams.

Our D will hopefully treat Beck with velvet gloves....... NOT!

As per a previous post stating the Tampa Bat Bucs losing in the ’80s wasn’t bad for business, now comes the prospective sale of the Miami Dolphins who haven’t made the play-offs for six years. The Dolphins were recently valued at just under $950,000,000 and are now valued at $1.1 billion after a fifty percent offer of the team, stadium, and some surrounding land by developer Stephen Ross. Not bad business since Wayne Huizenga bought part ownership of the team after Joe Robbi died in 1990, taking full ownership in 1994 for a total of about $138 million. Expansion licences the next year went to Jacksonville and Carolina for $140 million.

The Dolphins numbers may be little rubbery due to Huizenga’s former ownership of the Marlins baseball team. As the Marlins played at Dolphin Stadium owned by the Dolphins, much of the baseball team’s revenues goes on to the Dolphins books and not the Marlins. Huizenga didn’t really lose $30 million when the Marlins won their first pennant. That’s why he’s a billionaire. The soon-to-be-called Miami Marlins will be shifting to their own 37,00 seat stadium when construction finished on the Orange Bowl land.

rev303017.gif

The pathetic on-field Dolphins double revenue in ten years.

Wayne Huizenga has a net worth of just over $2 billion, which is half the new owner’s worth of $4.5 billion. No one going broke anytime soon These are significant numbers when you relate this sale to sports business theory in Australia. The NFL is a tightly run cartel, which has established its infrastructure and markets over 80-odd years, and includes several super league wars.

The current AFL has infrastructure born out of an amateur/semi-pro state league (VFL) which is simply not conducive to pro sports philosophy replicated from the U.S. Teams like North Melbourne and Melbourne can do all the winning they like, ten teams in one market just won’t survive in Victoria. Now they want 18 teams in the AFL without retraction in the Victorian teams numbers. Fools! This requires more explanation but it’s off-topic on this board.

Hopefully in the future "Uriah Heep" Salisbury and his good buddy Wyatt Earp will cover such topics more broadly on their BITUSA radio show to make them more relevant to an Australian audience. Die-hards like myself don’t need to listen as I have access to cable TV and the Internet. There seems to be a growing number of non-American sports fans that enjoy listening to their SEN show.:thumbsu: No competition in the world has replicated theory from the NFL as much as the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back