Mid season draft 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

honestly if there's a "gun" from the vfl that's not at richmond who nominates for 6 months we might as well just draft them with our 3rd/4th pick if there's still one available. makes us better, makes an oppo worse, helps with our injury woes, if they're not afl level then we can just delist them without screwing them over by having drafted them interstate. plus they'd probably love the experience if they're not from an afl affiliated club

but maybe the $60k or whatever we'd save from not drafting 2 vfl players is too much pass on

honestly if there's a "gun" from the vfl that's not at richmond who nominates for 6 months we might as well just draft them with our 3rd/4th pick if there's still one available. makes us better, makes an oppo worse, helps with our injury woes, if they're not afl level then we can just delist them without screwing them over by having drafted them interstate. plus they'd probably love the experience if they're not from an afl affiliated club

but maybe the $60k or whatever we'd save from not drafting 2 vfl players is too much pass on
Well that is a few bricks for the new stand isn't it!!!

Dumb dumb dumb
The club clearly has more in depth knowledge than all us keyboard list managers when it comes to the depth of talent that is available. Given only 24 of the 340 odd players to nominate for the draft were asked to perform medicals it would strongly suggest that the talent we think is there, isn't really there at all.

IMO we've probably got 3-4 of those 24 in mind for the draft and will, if Yzes comments are anything to go by, likely take no more than 2 of them unless a 3rd falls through to our 3rd pick.

I know we all see it as a free swing, but the investment has got to be worth it, it's not just the $60k per player, but there is also the coaching to bring the players up to speed so they can actually be useful. IMO we'll likely take 2 players on 18 month contracts so that there is little pressure on them to come in and perform from day 1, but to allow them to be developed in the right way, so they may become players we have around for 5+ years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon you need temper expectations mate, its the MSD

There’s talent there mate. To be honest, as evidence always shows, there’s always talent not in the AFL. Players needing a chance.

What I am seeing is this in a big way. For whatever reason, there was 5 or 6 kids who missed out, only just, from last years draft that have gone away,
Trained hard and come back in a big way.

To close our minds from talent opportunities would be small mindedness. There’s always opportunities to improve your list you just need to be smart about it.

Gale needs the funds for the Statue of himself in the entry foyer of the new grandstand ...

200.gif

I agree with you 100% though ... take two VFL jets from Geelong or Footscray ... at worst they help replace the injuries that have hit the VFL program ... at best you were wrong and they become an AFL star

The club clearly has more in depth knowledge than all us keyboard list managers when it comes to the depth of talent that is available. Given only 24 of the 340 odd players to nominate for the draft were asked to perform medicals it would strongly suggest that the talent we think is there, isn't really there at all.

IMO we've probably got 3-4 of those 24 in mind for the draft and will, if Yzes comments are anything to go by, likely take no more than 2 of them unless a 3rd falls through to our 3rd pick.

I know we all see it as a free swing, but the investment has got to be worth it, it's not just the $60k per player, but there is also the coaching to bring the players up to speed so they can actually be useful. IMO we'll likely take 2 players on 18 month contracts so that there is little pressure on them to come in and perform from day 1, but to allow them to be developed in the right way, so they may become players we have around for 5+ years.
Yze apprently said that Defender was a Key target - I thought we were after a forward !

Anything about us in this article?

nada

apparently 14 out of 18 clubs have spoken with payne

max hoult from sandy 1 game back from an acl and the coach reckons a club could do worse than picking him up either mid season or national draft. (big bodied mid)

then willy coach talks about rcd and mentions a couple other willy players have caught coaches eye (corey ellison, nick ebinger & jack toner)

apparently rcd has met with "up to 8 coaches" so there's a chance he'll be runnin around again

Last edited:

That and it can play havoc with list management at the end of the year.

If you select 3-4 players and wish to retain them they would (most likely) go on the rookie list. Sort of pointless to take 3-4 players with an expectation they won’t last 6+ months (despite being able to nominate as such).

I believe that we have a full compliment of rookie listed player currently (Miller, Campbell, Coulthard, Tresize, Bauer, LeFau); that would mean to keep 3-4 the club would have to elevate the same amount of rookies. If Miller re-signs he would have to be promoted, and Bauer maybe borderline (maximum service is three seasons which he would have served 2.5). Yet anymore eats into your primary list which eats into the amount of selections in the National Draft.

For the fringe guys that you would take at the 3rd or 4th pick, it’s almost better to wait, know what the future holds for your list availability (Dusty, Baker and Graham’s futures) and either draft them in the rookie draft (and get the full 12 month contract) or invite them as a train on as an SSP selection.

As those third and fourth players would be ultimately the last two players taken in the MSD there’s little chance they’d be snatched up before then.

Mid-season draft news: Geordie Payne talks joining North Melbourne, former Tiger in frame​

Burnie builder Geordie Payne is hoping to have his life transformed overnight as footy’s newest No.1 mid-season draft pick.

Each morning the Tasmanian starts on the tools at 7.15am for a nine-hour shift before a frantic dash to football training.
On Wednesday night North Melbourne is tipped to call out his name with the No.1 overall pick after a blinding three weeks of football capped his steady development in the past 18 months.
As Payne told this masthead on Monday, he would be thrilled to join fellow Tasmanian Colby McKercher at Arden Street because there would be plenty of opportunities.
Payne missed this weekend’s Coates League clash to ensure he didn’t suffer the late injury that almost curtailed Marlion Pickett’s mid-season hopes in 2019.

The 18-year-old had already shown enough this year, his latest star turn a four-goal, 29-possession, 13-score involvement game last week against the Eastern Ranges.

Having played half back last year he has been showcased as a mid-forward to highlight his versatility and it has paid off in spades.

Payne spoke to Roos recruiters Scott Clayton and Will Thursfield last Tuesday, with rival recruiters believing North Melbourne is preparing to pounce.

“It’s really exciting. I guess to go anywhere would be amazing but to go somewhere where you are going to get some opportunities (like North Melbourne) is really exciting and I look forward to any opportunity that has gone my way,” Payne said.

“Over the last few years just started to get a bit of interest and my game really developed

Now I am two nights away from potentially being drafted. It’s all a little bit nerve-racking but I am excited.”

Last year the Pies recruiting team visited his home and he met Sydney, Bulldogs and Geelong before he was overlooked.

This year the recruiters have broken down his door.

“I have spoken to 14 out of the 18 clubs. It has always been a massive dream and in the last three or four months it’s started to get closer and I have had more interest. I am really excited and I would be so grateful to get an opportunity somewhere,” he said.

From the same Tasmanian town as Brody Mihocek, the Coates League top-ager managed is managed by Vivid Sports’ Tim Hazell who has counselled him through his recent journey.

His second-year building apprenticeship would be put on hold but his boss is excited for his likely move and fully supportive.

“I am at work all day. 7.15am to 4.30pm is my normal day. Then I knock off and head to footy training most nights. Because we are from Tassie we end up travelling a lot, so I sometimes get Fridays off to travel.

“Last year I didn’t expect to get picked up and it obviously hurt. I had no expectation it was going to happen but I did all that work. I needed to do extras because I knew what I had done this year wasn’t at the level.

“It is definitely the thought of doing more than the person who is next to you who could be in the same position.”

DRAFT SMOKY

Sandringham Dragons talent manager Mark Wheeler says the club might have a smoky in Wednesday’s draft to follow in the footsteps the club’s many draft graduates.

After suffering an ACL injury last year, Max Hoult returned to the Dragons as a 19-year-old and played his first game on Sunday against Gippsland Power.

He finished with two goals and 12 possessions.

“The first 10 minutes of the third quarter was enough for me to say, ‘If anyone is going to throw a Hail Mary, I’d be throwing one that way’,’’ Wheeler said.

“He’s a big-bodied midfielder who’s got good speed and power and his body is already designed for the AFL.

“After being out for a while, he just needs the touch.

“But we saw enough in the third quarter to say there’s something there. If he doesn’t go mid-season we’re very hopeful he’ll go at the end of the year.’’

TOWNER TIME

Williamstown VFL coach Justin Plapp is bracing for the loss of former Tiger Riley Collier-Dawkins in the mid-season draft.

Collier-Dawkins joined the Towners this season after a stint in the SANFL and has averaged 23.6 disposals from his eight matches.

He had 32 touches against Essendon’s VFL team in Round 7.

Plapp said up to eight clubs had spoken to him about the midfielder and he expected one of them to take Collier-Dawkins.

“I think he’ll get a second chance, just with where clubs are at in regards to their lists and injuries and depth,’’ he said.

“I feel Riley has a fair bit to offer. While his footy hasn’t been outstanding, it’s been at a level that deserves a bit of recognition and another opportunity. He’s a specific mid. He’s an inside mid who wins a lot of ball. He’s not for everyone, I feel. But there could be a gap there for that type of player from a list management point of view.’’

Plapp said forwards Corey Ellison and Nick Ebinger, and onballer Jack Toner had also caught the eye of recruiters.

“There is some interest in our players and so there should be – we’ve had a strong start to the season. Our performances have been very good. I’d be disappointed if our guys weren’t being recognised,’’ he said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back