AFL Club
Richmond

Richmond​

Community Series: v Collingwood, February 27, Ikon Park
January 27, 2024
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Tom Lynch and Dustin Martin at Richmond training. Picture: David Crosling

Tom Lynch and Dustin Martin at Richmond training. Picture: David Crosling

Dustin Martin (ankle): Took some steps back into training on Wednesday after being sent off to the rehab group after a minor ankle tweak. Should recover in time to face Collingwood.

Tom Lynch (foot): Unlikely for pre-season matches but the big forward has been running on grass and is still hopeful of playing in opening round.

Josh Gibcus (hamstring): The youngster has lifted to be included in almost all of training after a slow build to nurse through his worrisome hamstring. Should be cherry ripe for some pre-season action.

Jack Ross (toe): Off-season toe surgery has put the brakes on the winger’s pre-season, he is still building up fitness so is touch and go for a pre-season meeting with Collingwood.

Shai Bolton (ankle): No worries for Bolton, he had ankle surgery post-season but is back in full training.

Dylan Grimes (calf): The veteran is taking it easy and among the rehab group at the Tigers but club CEO Brendon Gale reckons he will play in opening round. Whether he faces Collingwood on February 27 is yet to be seen.

Meehan on top of everything atm as that looks like a positive outlook with nothing too serious. I know Lynch and Gibcus missed basically all of last year , but I don’t think we were going anywhere last year so giving them time to heal may actually work in our favour for this season.

Meehan on top of everything atm as that looks like a positive outlook with nothing too serious. I know Lynch and Gibcus missed basically all of last year , but I don’t think we were going anywhere last year so giving them time to heal may actually work in our favour for this season.
March is when Meehan does his best work !!!

Brendan Gale on SEN

The Richmond chief also provided an update on the fitness of star forward Tom Lynch and former co-captain Dylan Grimes.

Lynch continues to work his way back from the foot injury that derailed his 2023 season while Grimes has been nursing a calf niggle this pre-season.

“‘Lynchy’ is making good progress now,” Gale offered.

“When he joined us at the end of ‘18 for ‘19, it didn’t look like he was going to be available for the early rounds of ‘19 at all. But in the last week or two he just really progressed and played Round 1 against Carlton and had an impact.

“He’s coming on, he’s making really good progress, so we’ve got high hopes that Tommy will be available.

“‘Grimesy’ has had a few little niggles. He knows his body, he’s got great awareness and he’s putting a lot of effort into his preparation.

“He’s a warrior. He’ll be available, he’ll be good.”

Richmond track watch: Nick Vlastuin deals with concussion​

A vital Tiger has become the latest AFL player to enter concussion protocols this pre-season as Adem Yze continued to move the magnets at Richmond’s pre-season.

January 29, 2024
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/.../19301d09562df0f519e9942a1104d407#share-tools
Richmond defender Nick Vlastuin has become the latest player limited by concussion this pre-season, just weeks after recommendations to limit contact at AFL training.

Vlastuin has been in concussion protocols since copping a head knock on Wednesday and was on light duties at training on Monday.
He ran laps and kicked a ball with others in Richmond’s rehab group, including Tom Lynch (foot) and Dylan Grimes (calf).
https://supercoach.com.au/
[PLAYERCARD]Nick Vlastuin[/PLAYERCARD] at training on Monday. Picture: Jason Edwards

Nick Vlastuin at training on Monday. Picture: Jason Edwards

Victorian coroner John Cain recommended in December that AFL clubs slash contact training sessions in a bid to protect players from concussions, as part of findings into the death of former Richmond midfielder Shane Tuck.
Cain’s recommendation was for clubs to reduce contact in time for the 2025 pre-season.

Lynch and Grimes moved well at Richmond training on Monday, with Dustin Martin (ankle) and Dion Prestia (management) stepping away from the main group as it moves into a full-ground stoppage drill.

Tom Lynch going through his paces. Picture: Jason Edwards

Tom Lynch going through his paces. Picture: Jason Edwards

Spearhead Lynch took part in some light tackling and kicked the ball to Grimes with ease.

Winger Jack Ross trained fully and looked in good nick after toe surgery limited him to start pre-season, while Josh Gibcus took part in the entire session.

Electric midfielder Shai Bolton came up limping after one contest but saw out the session.
A full-speed collision occurred during the session when Noah Cumberland dived to smother a Huge Ralphsmith kick and fell across Ralphsmith’s body, but the pair gingerly got up and carried on.

Old news now but thought I'd update the injury thread.

By Richmond Media

Richmond confirms that midfielder Dion Prestia suffered a minor hamstring injury in Wednesday night’s match simulation.

The 31-year-old will not play in the Club’s hit-out against Melbourne on February 18. However, he remains a chance to feature in the Community Series match against Collingwood on February 26.

Richmond Physical Performance Manager Luke Meehan said the injury was minor and would only restrict Prestia from training fully for the short term.

“Dion unfortunately had some hamstring awareness early in Wednesday’s match simulation, which, following scans, we have decided will require a short rehabilitation period,” he said.

“We anticipate he will be back training fully in a couple of weeks."

Richmond’s Opening Round clash with Gold Coast is on March 9.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He would never have played both rd.1 and 2 because they are 5 days apart, so setting him for rd.2 only makes sense.
And a 10 day break between 2 and 3 for us

“My foot and bone’s completely healed – it’s just getting conditioning [that it needs]. Clearly, I haven’t run for nine months, so I need to get a lot of miles back in my leg. If we wanted to really push, we’d get up for that Round Zero, but we want to get myself playing the whole year ... I’ll be cherry ripe once I get out there.”

“My foot and bone’s completely healed – it’s just getting conditioning [that it needs]. Clearly, I haven’t run for nine months, so I need to get a lot of miles back in my leg. If we wanted to really push, we’d get up for that Round Zero, but we want to get myself playing the whole year ... I’ll be cherry ripe once I get out there.”
1707189391056.gif

Then the next week...

"Look, Tom just hasn't come up for Round 1. We didn't want to risk him, considering he hasn't played for 12 months."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back