Mid-season review

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Well no one else seems to have done one for us, so I'll kick it off.

I'll break it down into stats, best players, how the midfield, backs and forwards have gone, the good points, the bad points and a quick prediction of how I think they'll go in the second half of the season.

Stats
Win-Loss 8 - 3
Ladder position 2nd
Percentage 124.9% (2nd)
Attack 1097 (7th)
Defence 878 (1st)

Best players - I'll limit this to a top 5 so we don't all list half our squad.

1. Gavin Wanganeen In a bit over 3 months time the football world should be calling him the dual Brownlow medallist. The standout player of the competition along with Michael Voss. And with nothing to split them the injury to Voss gives the rubberman the chance to get the jump on the other main challenger for the top individual honour.
2. Nick Stevens When Josh Francou went down things looked dark for Port, but Nick Stevens has stood up. Always a fast player and good disposer of the ball has added toughness and 'hard ball getting' to his game this year to be the complete midfielder package.
3. Dean Brogan No Matty Primus, Port's inspirational captain and all-Australian ruckmen for all, but 2 and a quarter games this year, but the champion former Adelaide 36'er has really come into his own this year and come out at worst even in each match played. Missed the match against West Coast, the Brogan-Gardiner dual is one I'm anticipating highly.
4. Peter Burgoyne Shifted from the forward lines and part time midfielder to almost a full time midfielder this year. Along with much of the side has added toughness to his game. Has laid several good hip and shoulders and no longer looks like waiting to receive the ball - does the hard stuff to go get it.
5. Warren Tredrea Always has had the ability to generate goals by his into 50's and marks and possessions in the forward lines getting it to other players. This year though with a new kicking routine has in the last month shown in addition to all the other things he did so well to be All-Australian CHF the last two years is now also capable of kicking a bag himself.

The Midfield
The injury to Josh Francou in round 2 and the absence of Primus for almost 9 matches in the first 11 left Port missing it's most dangerous Ruckmen - midfielder combination. Heads could have dropped, but Nick Stevens and Peter Burgoyne in particular have both stepped up to fill the breach Josh left. And Dean Brogan has capably filled Primus's shoes. The return to form of Brendan Lade the last month after an indifferent year in 2002 after two years off with Broken legs in 2000 and 2001 has meant two in-form ruckmen covering the loss of our captain. When Matty returns neither will deserve to lose their place on how they've been playing.

The backline
It hasn't had the long term injury concerns the midfield has, but from week to week the backline has been having players in and out with injury. At various times has missed first choice backmen Wilson, Hardwick, Bishop and Montgomery. Despite the unsettled line up they've performed admirably and have given Port the most miserly defence in the league. Old hands Paxman and Wakelin have backed up good games in 2002 to again show experience can more then compensate for slowing pace.

The forward line
With Stuart Dew missing since round 2 with the dreaded OP Port needed a small forward to step up in his absence. Shuan Burgoyne has been that forward. To the halfway mark of the season he's kicked 28 goals, a bit over half of what Dew had in the whole of 2002. Port have played a fairly small forward line much of the year. After an interrupted pre-season Tredrea was injured early in round 2 and has only regained full fitness the last month. He's now back to his best - in fact looking the best he ever has and Chad Cornes is backing up a good 2002 with good form until suspended for two weeks, in 2003. With Tredrea now fully match fit and Dew to return after the break I expect Port to be higher then the 7th best attack by the end of round 22.

The good
Two things stand out to me in how Port of 2002 is different from Port of 2003. The first is our depth. It's been tested every week, we've always had at least 3 first 22 players out every week this year yet are still sitting 8-3 as at the same time last year. Port of 2002 were winning games when we had our best team, but come the finals when Primus, Peter Burgoyne and others were carrying niggling injuries and Wakelin out we didn't have the depth to cover it. This year with players out we are still winning and winning well. The second good thing and difference between this year and last is our toughness. Some questioned Port trading for Byron Pickett, but results show it was a good trade for Port. Not just for his own impact on games the last month after a quiet first few weeks adjusting to the Port game plan, but how his attack on the ball has rubbed off on players like Peter Burgoyne and Nick Stevens - players that weren't exactly renowned for their toughness before this year.

The bad
The injuries. We've covered them well, but I'm still highly anticipating seeing Port with the strength of Primus in ruck, the booming left foot of Dew kicking long goals and a settled and experienced back line with all of Hardwick, Bishop and Wilson playing.

Prediction time
Port have been winning despite injuries and are looking like giving Brisbane a good run for top spot by round 22. If the Power can get it's injury list shortened to just Josh Francou (and maybe one other) of it's first 22 by finals then the added toughness between Port of 2002 and Port of 2003 should see the Power playing the Lions at the MCG on the last Saturday of September.

:) :) :) Great review!!
Am I the only one salivating at the thought of round 13 with the possibility of having Primus, Dew, Bishop, James and Wilson back in the side... ? *rubs hands together* I can't wait!
The only downside is that some of our continually improving young players will get the bump... but be sure, Choco won't forget the great job they've done! :p

in 2001 pre-season tredders did his knee.... won best and fairest and all aussie, best year...... 2003 per-season did his knee... better season? i hope so!

Originally posted by Beffery
:) :) :) Great review!!
Am I the only one salivating at the thought of round 13 with the possibility of having Primus, Dew, Bishop, James and Wilson back in the side... ? *rubs hands together* I can't wait!
The only downside is that some of our continually improving young players will get the bump... but be sure, Choco won't forget the great job they've done! :p
I don't see all of them being brought back in round 13, don't want to massively unsettle the line up in one go and have too many underdone for match fitness players returning at once. Primus obviously to return. Wilson from a hamstring may get another week as usually 4 weeks to be certain. Dew I think will return via Centrals for at least one match, our forward line isn't exactly struggling the last month without him (once fully match fit I expect will be called straight up - a long left footer on the forward line is one thing we don't have with an otherwise very strong forward line). I expect Primus, Bishop and possibly James back round 13. The rest rounds 14 and 15.

Round 13 - we should have Dew, Primus, Bishop, Wilson, James all available. All top players but a wholesale change to bring them all in at the same time would probably do us more bad than good. Maybe a couple of them could have a few weeks in the SANFL to get back to full match fitness, I would want to do that with Dew as he's been off the longest. Primus could do with 1 week at Norwood if he's not 100% to come back straight away. James and Wilson would be the more likely to step straight back in and Bishop may find himself on the outer for a few weeks.

But players also have to go if these guys come in. Salopek will go, back to Glenelg, Poulton to Port but after that I find it difficult to see who can be dropped. Three ruckmen is too much of a luxury and Lade seems the one in danger there. At the start of the year I saw Cochrane as a stop-gap only but for checking players it could be Kane Cornes who goes first. Anyway, it's a happy dilemna to have.

Originally posted by mic59
But players also have to go if these guys come in. Salopek will go, back to Glenelg, Poulton to Port but after that I find it difficult to see who can be dropped. Three ruckmen is too much of a luxury and Lade seems the one in danger there. At the start of the year I saw Cochrane as a stop-gap only but for checking players it could be Kane Cornes who goes first. Anyway, it's a happy dilemna to have.
Well Kane Cornes (14 possessions, 12 marks), Carr (26 pos., 6 marks, 2 goals)) and Cochrane (23 pos., 9 marks) of our trio of players who can do the tagging all were amongst the best players against the Saints so hard to see any of them being pushed out. The defence provided great pressure on the saints to have them kicking under pressure or from less then ideal spots and probably only Poulton dropping out of that part of the ground. ****y a quiet game, but expect him to be better for the rest over the break. Still as you say a happy position for the selectors to be in. And rounds 14 to 15 even more leap out as ones to give some guys who've played most games a rest. Let them recover and get the underdone players more match time.

Our best players so far...I tend to agree with Andre here.
Wanganeen. Brilliant.
Stevens. Welcome to the really big time Nick.
Brogan. Without him, we wouldn't be where we are.
Tredrea. It doesn't sound possible, but he has lifted a notch from last year. He is tougher at it, and his kicking seems to have improved.
Peter Burgoyne. Not sure quite how to put it, but he has always been flashy. Now he is consistently flashy without missing out on doing the team things.

The good All the injuries have forced Williams to give lots of players game-time early in the year. As long as we have our best team out there by round 16-17 we will be a big big chance come finals time.
The also good Some of our second tier players are beginning to step up, in particular Brogan and JBurger. We have also recruited really well again with Pickett adding something to the side that money can't buy. Cochrane what a find he has turned out to be, and not to mention how happy our coach is now that he has found his mini-me (Salopeck).
The very good Our first tier players have stepped up another notch. Tredrea is nearing superstar status. Wanganeen is really enjoying himself. Stevens is heading towards where we all thought he should be. Senior Burger is becoming brilliant. Schofield has recaptured the form he had before he got injured last year, and James has become even more reliable. The list is almost endless.

The bad Not much apart from Francou, and at the risk of sounding heartless, his injury might turn out to be a blessing in disguise, with the other players picking up the slack.
However there have been some disappointments. Guerra seems to be heading towards the outer. Perhaps he is not fast enough for our side, or that with Wanga and Pickett in he is too far behind in the pecking order. Either way it's not his season, when a lot were expecting it to be.
Cassisi, I really thought he would be somewhere around where Kane Cornes is in terms of development. He is nowhere near it.
Koula, early season injuries (again) could spell trouble.

Prediction All I am prepared to say is that we are in the mix in a big way. More so than last year or the year before.

Originally posted by Andre
Some questioned Port trading for Byron Pickett, but results show it was a good trade for Port.
Have to disagree there. All thats happened so far is that Byron has shown that its probably not a disasterous trade for Port. Byron Schammer and Joel Perry still have plenty of time to prove it ill.

Not just for his own impact on games the last month after a quiet first few weeks adjusting to the Port game plan, but how his attack on the ball has rubbed off on players like Peter Burgoyne and Nick Stevens - players that weren't exactly renowned for their toughness before this year.
Peter Burgoyne has been pinged for charging most seasons, and I don't reckon you see him shirk the issue much. The difference this year is that he seems more likely to get away with it now.

Re: Re: Mid-season review

Originally posted by Porthos
Peter Burgoyne has been pinged for charging most seasons, and I don't reckon you see him shirk the issue much. The difference this year is that he seems more likely to get away with it now.
Well I've seen bugger all footy this year, but in the past Senior used to be a bit soft. Seems generally harder now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back