Mitch Starc

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 25, 2008
Leeds/'Berra/Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
OK, enough attention on the shiny new Vic player, lets restore order and get back to talking about a NSW product. While clearly still developing in the longer formats, Starc's performances in T20 cricket have been truly breathtaking.

Consider that, although over just three matches, his international T20 average is...... 8. At an economy rate of 4.29, no less. And not just from playing bit parts with the occasional over here and there, he's averaging 2 wickets a game. It's not too great an anomaly either, when you consider his domestic T20 record: 48 wickets from 29 games at 14.79, economy of 7.02.

So, while it's too early to make a definitive statement, is it fair to say that Starc has the potential to be considered the best T20 paceman in the world?

/NSW T20-specific circlejerk

OK, enough attention on the shiny new Vic player, lets restore order and get back to talking about a NSW product. While clearly still developing in the longer formats, Starc's performances in T20 cricket have been truly breathtaking.

Consider that, although over just three matches, his international T20 average is...... 8. At an economy rate of 4.29, no less. And not just from playing bit parts with the occasional over here and there, he's averaging 2 wickets a game. It's not too great an anomaly either, when you consider his domestic T20 record: 48 wickets from 29 games at 14.79, economy of 7.02.

So, while it's too early to make a definitive statement, is it fair to say that Starc has the potential to be considered the best T20 paceman in the world?

/NSW T20-specific circlejerk

Certainly the best Australian pace man in 20 20. As you say though still developing in the other formats, particularly 4 day games. He will be a very good player in all formats, has every physical attribute to be a gun. Just need a bit of patience with him.

They fact that he listened to Akram when he met him last year and has actually looked like he learned a lot from him is a big plus in my book.

Yep have to love his attitude, seems to want to do everything to get his baggy green back. Big tick for playing some county stuff

I went to the Sydney derby last year and he just looked unplayable. That ball that got Tendulkar (at 6:20 in this video) in Perth last summer was the perfect left arm bowler's dismissal. The kid is a massive weapon and it looks like he's got his body right at the moment.

I'll reserve my judgement as to whether he is the best t20 pace bowler in the world until he has played more than two matches (can't take the Ireland game into account). He has huge talent no doubt but seriously, lets not get carried away.

I'll reserve my judgement as to whether he is the best t20 pace bowler in the world until he has played more than two matches (can't take the Ireland game into account). He has huge talent no doubt but seriously, lets not get carried away.

The "best T20 bowler in the world" question was more than a little tongue-in-cheek. The point is more that as a young man, he has absolutely fantastic domestic T20 stats, and so far they've translated to international cricket as well. He's really developing into a weapon, at least in this format.

We need to find more people like Akram who can teach our guys. The difference in Starc since getting a bit of coaching is phenominal!

Looking back at his first match in Australia, he now looks like he stands up taller and clearly gets his arm over in a way that is much more conducive to swinging it.

I don't like how his name is Mitchell. And is a left armer. And can occasionally bowl a bit erratically. It reminds me of another Mitchell. Who is a left armer. And can occasionally bowl a bit erratically.
Point is, both show/ed potential. Lets reserve judgement for when he has played a few more games. Not saying that he cant be a very very good bowler, but lets not get carried away too early. Can't wait to see him playing some tests this summer though, very excited to see how him and pattinson do in their 2nd international summers.

Starc has the advantage in that his action is a lot smoother than Johnson's, particularly as he gets his arm up high, whereas Johnson's can get low at times. Whilst that may make Johnson a bit faster, Starc will naturally have the greater control and give himself the best chance to swing the ball. I have more faith that Starc can keep it together for longer than Johnson did.

Starc has the advantage in that his action is a lot smoother than Johnson's, particularly as he gets his arm up high, whereas Johnson's can get low at times. Whilst that may make Johnson a bit faster, Starc will naturally have the greater control and give himself the best chance to swing the ball. I have more faith that Starc can keep it together for longer than Johnson did.

As do i. I just hope they don't decide to play Johnson ahead of Starc for tests this summer.

I'm embarrassed for anyone who makes a comparison to Mitchell Johnson because they share a first name and both bowl left handed.

They are very different bowlers. However, they do look similar. They're both tall, dark-haired, left-armed, sling-actioned. Now, Johnson's sling-action is more round-arm, while Starc's is high, more like a catapult. But they both prop before whipping the arm through the action (though it's worth noting that recently Starc's action has become less slingy, but when he first came on the scene it was). The result is that Starc gets extremely good bounce and swing, but he has less raw pace and is more orthodox than Johnson, making them very different bowlers. But you can understand superficial comparisons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's going beautifully, should be considered for all formats, finally finding a bit extra pace and consistancy than last season and is bowling full, straight and swinging it. He, Patinson and Cummings will keep our attack strong for years. Also McDermott.

He's going beautifully, should be considered for all formats, finally finding a bit extra pace and consistancy than last season and is bowling full, straight and swinging it. He, Patinson and Cummings will keep our attack strong for years. Also McDermott.

Now if only we could find some batsmen

Now if only we could find some batsmen

That's the big issue.

As far as I can see all of our young up and coming batsmen have technical flaws and will get found out whenever truly tested at the next level.

Hence why I was excited by Bosisto at the World Cup. Limited overs or not he batted sensibly and didn't throw his wicket away. One to keep an eye on both for this and his leadership skills.

I see MMarsh and Maxwell as the next Watson and Dussey. What we need to start finding and developing are the Ponting/Hussey/Clarke etc replacements over the next 5 or so years.

I think they're going to pursue with Cowan, and I think Phil Hughes may be a big player in the future. I think the Forrest project was a little bit too ambitious, but we'll see. Steve Smith and Khawaja still have question marks over them, as does Shaun Marsh. Joe Burns, Kurt Patterson and Will Bosisto appear to be promising prospects from the next tier down.

I see MMarsh and Maxwell as the next Watson and Dussey. What we need to start finding and developing are the Ponting/Hussey/Clarke etc replacements over the next 5 or so years.

I think they're going to pursue with Cowan, and I think Phil Hughes may be a big player in the future. I think the Forrest project was a little bit too ambitious, but we'll see. Steve Smith and Khawaja still have question marks over them, as does Shaun Marsh. Joe Burns, Kurt Patterson and Will Bosisto appear to be promising prospects from the next tier down.

From what I've heard Patterson doesn't have the greatest technique.

From what I've heard Patterson doesn't have the greatest technique.

From what I've seen it's not too bad or unorthodox, he's just quite tall and gangly. Looks a little bit like he's new to being tall (i.e. growth spurt in the last 2-3 years) and hasn't fully adjusted. Also, he's quite wristy on the drive. Looks kinda old-school. You can see some highlights below, although obviously they don't say anything about his defensive technique.

I did not rate Starc when he was picked for the first test, but i was impressed with that spell in perth where he picked up Tendulkar with perfect inswinger. He is out first picked fast bowler for T20, his record in the format at international level is quite impressive despite its early stages. He has really improved and the confidence gained in the last 3 months will do him in the world of good. Adds variety to our attack with his left arm swing, and his action looks moore consistent than mitch johnson. He will be given test for sure this year, Hilfy and Siddle are the main stays while Patto, Cummins and Starc will be rotated through the side to avoid injuries.

3rd highest wicket taker for the tournament. Good return, coming along nicely and looking forward to seeing him in the whites this summer :thumbsu:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...hell-starcs-game/story-fndpt0dy-1226494637274

He also credited Yorkshire coach and former quick Jason Gillespie for getting the best out of him, as well as a couple of informal chats with former Pakistani left-arm great Wasim Akram.
"I think with my time in England, I learned about my game a lot more, I was by myself rather than being around the Australian or NSW group," Starc said

Really developing into something is Starc. Combined with Pattinson's form in the Shield and our pace stocks are looking excellent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back