Draft Expert ModernArtillery 2023 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

3. Daniel Curtin
5. Ryley Sanders
10. Colby McKercher

Curtin - He has been playing as a midfielder at State level, so he is more than just a defender.
Sanders - I am aboard this train, I have no issues with him being around this mark.
McKercher - I might have to watch his inside work more, but my god he ticks a lot of boxes from my vision.

Draft board update?
Haha, thanks for keeping me honest! Tonight should be the night.

Curtin - He has been playing as a midfielder at State level, so he is more than just a defender.
Sanders - I am aboard this train, I have no issues with him being around this mark.
McKercher - I might have to watch his inside work more, but my god he ticks a lot of boxes from my vision.
Curtin has been playing as a midfielder, but I don't see that as a long-term thing at AFL level.

July Rankings
No real update to the top 10. You could probably talk me into just about any order after Curtin through those first 10.

1. Harley Reid
2. Jed Walter
3. Daniel Curtin
4. Zane Duursma
5. Ryley Sanders
6. Nate Caddy
7. Ethan Read
8. Nick Watson
9. Connor O'Sullivan
10. Colby McKercher

11. Darcy Wilson
I have a few question marks over Wilson's inside game, but he may just be one of those super athletic, super skilled midfielders who can extract the footy without needing to physically impose himself on a contest. Connor Rozee is probably someone who does this similarly. Wilson has really nice size and speed and is hard to close down if you give him an inch. He's a talented enough user that he can really hurt you with his kicking and his scoreboard impact is well proven to this point. The lacking inside game lowers his floor, but the overall talent suggests his ceiling could be something pretty special.

12. Clay Hall
Hall is a bit of a no-fuss midfielder and I really valued his consistency across the Champs. He's a nice size at 188cm, seems to have reasonable game speed and can find the footy both on the inside and outside. I wonder a little about his kicking sometimes, but I'm not overly, overly concerned. He looks like a natural accumulator of the footy and his defensive work around the stoppage is pretty good. His running looks great (without seeing any data) and seems like he covers the ground really well, so I think he's got a pretty high floor in terms of what he could be at AFL level. I think he's got genuine scope to be a well-balanced second/third/fourth midfielder at AFL level.

13. Jake Rogers
Rogers is super dynamic and has strong midfield craft. He's got nice speed and surprising strength in the contest for his size. He's actually quite difficult to tackle given his low centre of gravity. I think he could improve his finishing in front of goal, which would be important given he'll likely spend a lot of time forward early in his career.

14. Jordan Croft
I really like Jordan Croft and think he represents great value in the teens. Croft has two attributes that I really value in KPF's and I think the combination of the two is quite rare. He's super competitive in the air. He really launches into the marking contest and has the athleticism to be able to get his hands to the footy at the highest point. Once the ball hits the deck though, you can't write him out of it. He's got nice speed and mobility for his size and that allows him to apply elite defensive pressure as a KPF. There's still a rawness to his game that makes the gap between the floor and ceiling a bit wider, but I think he's going to end up forming a nice combination with Jamarra down the track.

15. Joel Freijah
Freijah is a tougher one for me to place. On the one hand, I think he's super talented and I really value a lot of what he has to offer. He's a really nice size, has good speed and is a classy user and finisher in front of goal. On the other hand, he's not really an inside ball-winner and I don't think he has much scope as a centre-bounce/stoppage mid. I see him exclusively as a winger/flanker at the next level, but he's certainly got the talent to play that role at a really high level.

16. Jack Delean
I just think Jack Delean is an absolute gun. His aerial work is exceptional for a player his size and he's strong on the lead, but it's his finishing in front of goal that really stands out to me. His ability to convert goals with a high degree of difficulty is as good as anyone in this draft not named Nick Watson. Yes, he's a relatively low possession player, but I reckon he's got match-winner written all over him. If I needed a small forward, I wouldn't hesitate to use a pick in the second half of the first round on him.

17. Koltyn Tholstrup
Tholstrup's got power, a bit of flare and is a guy that can hit the scoreboard. I envision him being a high-impact player at AFL level, but wonder if he'll struggle a little bit with consistency in the same way that some of the current guys who have similar frames and play similar roles tend to struggle (Stringer, Zurhaar etc). I don't see a pure midfield role in his future and that probably limits his ceiling in terms of draft position for me. I'm keen to get the running and athletic data for him, because I think that will paint a bit of a picture for me in terms of how translatable his game is to AFL footy.

*This is the part of the draft where I probably feel less comfortable with my order. It's probably safe to expect some change here over the coming months.

18. Will McCabe
I'm probably banking on McCabe's combination of athletic attributes and natural talent here. He's got really nice size and his skills are fine for a KPD prospect. He appears to be a bit laid back as a character and I think sometimes I want to see a bit more fire and competitiveness in the contest. He's still a pretty skinny kid, so perhaps that capacity to physically impact contests will come as he starts to add a bit of size.

19. Archer Reid
I still believe in what Archer Reid has to offer. He's a nice size and I think his frame will add enough weight/strength without taking away from his ability to move. I like his stuff overhead and on the lead. His set-shot kicking is a bit suspect, but I haven't minded some of his general field kicking for his size. His ruck craft is serviceable too. I think his overall skillset for the role he'll play at AFL level makes him a valuable prospect.

20. Harry Demattia
This is probably a harsh thing to say, but I don't think Demattia's style is overly attractive and it took me a while to really buy into him as a prospect. Admittedly, I'm still probably not entirely there, but it's hard to find too many faults in his game. He's a strong build with good top end speed. He's incredibly versatile, capable of playing midfield, defence and forward and his ball use is probably better than I've really give him credit. I just think with the combination of all those things, it's highly likely he finds a way to have a career at AFL level.

When I've got some more time over the coming days I'll start to build this out to 30 and beyond, but to give a bit of an idea of who I have in that next group, here are a few names:

Cooper Simpson
Charlie Harrop
Will Lorenz
Ollie Murphy
Nathan Philactides
Lachie Charleson
Koen Sanchez
Oscar Ryan
Harvey Johnston
Ashton Moir

No real update to the top 10. You could probably talk me into just about any order after Curtin through those first 10.

1. Harley Reid
2. Jed Walter
3. Daniel Curtin
4. Zane Duursma
5. Ryley Sanders
6. Nate Caddy
7. Ethan Read
8. Nick Watson
9. Connor O'Sullivan
10. Colby McKercher

11. Darcy Wilson
I have a few question marks over Wilson's inside game, but he may just be one of those super athletic, super skilled midfielders who can extract the footy without needing to physically impose himself on a contest. Connor Rozee is probably someone who does this similarly. Wilson has really nice size and speed and is hard to close down if you give him an inch. He's a talented enough user that he can really hurt you with his kicking and his scoreboard impact is well proven to this point. The lacking inside game lowers his floor, but the overall talent suggests his ceiling could be something pretty special.

12. Clay Hall
Hall is a bit of a no-fuss midfielder and I really valued his consistency across the Champs. He's a nice size at 188cm, seems to have reasonable game speed and can find the footy both on the inside and outside. I wonder a little about his kicking sometimes, but I'm not overly, overly concerned. He looks like a natural accumulator of the footy and his defensive work around the stoppage is pretty good. His running looks great (without seeing any data) and seems like he covers the ground really well, so I think he's got a pretty high floor in terms of what he could be at AFL level. I think he's got genuine scope to be a well-balanced second/third/fourth midfielder at AFL level.

13. Jake Rogers
Rogers is super dynamic and has strong midfield craft. He's got nice speed and surprising strength in the contest for his size. He's actually quite difficult to tackle given his low centre of gravity. I think he could improve his finishing in front of goal, which would be important given he'll likely spend a lot of time forward early in his career.

14. Jordan Croft
I really like Jordan Croft and think he represents great value in the teens. Croft has two attributes that I really value in KPF's and I think the combination of the two is quite rare. He's super competitive in the air. He really launches into the marking contest and has the athleticism to be able to get his hands to the footy at the highest point. Once the ball hits the deck though, you can't write him out of it. He's got nice speed and mobility for his size and that allows him to apply elite defensive pressure as a KPF. There's still a rawness to his game that makes the gap between the floor and ceiling a bit wider, but I think he's going to end up forming a nice combination with Jamarra down the track.

15. Joel Freijah
Freijah is a tougher one for me to place. On the one hand, I think he's super talented and I really value a lot of what he has to offer. He's a really nice size, has good speed and is a classy user and finisher in front of goal. On the other hand, he's not really an inside ball-winner and I don't think he has much scope as a centre-bounce/stoppage mid. I see him exclusively as a winger/flanker at the next level, but he's certainly got the talent to play that role at a really high level.

16. Jack Delean
I just think Jack Delean is an absolute gun. His aerial work is exceptional for a player his size and he's strong on the lead, but it's his finishing in front of goal that really stands out to me. His ability to convert goals with a high degree of difficulty is as good as anyone in this draft not named Nick Watson. Yes, he's a relatively low possession player, but I reckon he's got match-winner written all over him. If I needed a small forward, I wouldn't hesitate to use a pick in the second half of the first round on him.

17. Koltyn Tholstrup
Tholstrup's got power, a bit of flare and is a guy that can hit the scoreboard. I envision him being a high-impact player at AFL level, but wonder if he'll struggle a little bit with consistency in the same way that some of the current guys who have similar frames and play similar roles tend to struggle (Stringer, Zurhaar etc). I don't see a pure midfield role in his future and that probably limits his ceiling in terms of draft position for me. I'm keen to get the running and athletic data for him, because I think that will paint a bit of a picture for me in terms of how translatable his game is to AFL footy.

*This is the part of the draft where I probably feel less comfortable with my order. It's probably safe to expect some change here over the coming months.

18. Will McCabe
I'm probably banking on McCabe's combination of athletic attributes and natural talent here. He's got really nice size and his skills are fine for a KPD prospect. He appears to be a bit laid back as a character and I think sometimes I want to see a bit more fire and competitiveness in the contest. He's still a pretty skinny kid, so perhaps that capacity to physically impact contests will come as he starts to add a bit of size.

19. Archer Reid
I still believe in what Archer Reid has to offer. He's a nice size and I think his frame will add enough weight/strength without taking away from his ability to move. I like his stuff overhead and on the lead. His set-shot kicking is a bit suspect, but I haven't minded some of his general field kicking for his size. His ruck craft is serviceable too. I think his overall skillset for the role he'll play at AFL level makes him a valuable prospect.

20. Harry Demattia
This is probably a harsh thing to say, but I don't think Demattia's style is overly attractive and it took me a while to really buy into him as a prospect. Admittedly, I'm still probably not entirely there, but it's hard to find too many faults in his game. He's a strong build with good top end speed. He's incredibly versatile, capable of playing midfield, defence and forward and his ball use is probably better than I've really give him credit. I just think with the combination of all those things, it's highly likely he finds a way to have a career at AFL level.

When I've got some more time over the coming days I'll start to build this out to 30 and beyond, but to give a bit of an idea of who I have in that next group, here are a few names:

Cooper Simpson
Charlie Harrop
Will Lorenz
Ollie Murphy
Nathan Philactides
Lachie Charleson
Koen Sanchez
Oscar Ryan
Harvey Johnston
Ashton Moir
Lachie Charleson ❤️

Footy smarts on steroids.

August/Early September Rankings
I know it's September but I didn't get a chance to share my rankings from last month. The little player summaries take more time than I'd like, but they often help me validate their ranking before I post so I like including them. Unfortunately it takes a bit of motivation to pull them together! Couldn't quite get to 40, but will hopefully get there in the next edition.

1. Harley Reid
2. Jed Walter
3. Zane Duursma
4. Daniel Curtin
5. Nate Caddy
6. Ryley Sanders
7. Connor O'Sullivan
8. Ethan Read
9. Nick Watson
10. Colby McKercher
11. Darcy Wilson
12. Clay Hall
13. Jake Rogers
14. Jordan Croft
15. Caleb Windsor
16. Jack Delean
17. Koltyn Tholstrup
18. Will McCabe
19. Archer Reid
20. Charlie Edwards

21. James Leake
22. Lachie Charleson
23. Riley Hardeman
24. Harry Demattia
25. Will Green
26. Cooper Simpson
27. Ollie Murphy
28. Oscar Ryan
29. Joel Freijah
30. Will Graham
31. Koen Sanchez
32. Billy Wilson
33. Charlie Harrop
34. Ashton Moir
35. Phoenix Gothard

Caleb Windsor
Windsor ticks a lot of boxes for me. He's got a solid athletic profile with his speed being a standout attribute. He's a nice user of the footy and a really capable finisher in front of goal. He's typically played on the wing as an outside midfielder, but I think he has the tools to develop into a more balanced midfielder, where I think his speed and class could see him become a really impactful stoppage player.

Jack Delean
I love Delean but I'm a little concerned about his testing. I'm hoping he shows some improvement in his speed and running capacity as I see both limiting his ceiling. Talent is unquestionable for me.

Charlie Edwards
Edwards is another big riser. He's got great size for a midfielder, he uses the ball really well and is a great finisher in front of goal. He appears at this stage to be outside leaning and I'd love to see him be more physical on the inside. That development would well and truly entrench him in the first round for me. Without any data to prove this, he feels a touch slow for an outside midfielder, but that could be disproved when the end of season testing results come in.

James Leake
Leake is a versatile type who has had some nice moments at both ends of the ground. He comes across as a real competitor and I even wonder whether his contest work might develop enough to see him move on the ball. His aerial work is pretty solid and he's a nice finisher in front of goal. Another who's speed and agility are a slight concern.

Lachie Charleson
Charleson is one of my favourites. He's likely a forward at AFL level, but over time could pinch-hit through the midfield to add some speed and x-factor around the ball. He's classy around goal and if his tackling and forward pressure can go up a level, there's no reason he couldn't have a career at the next level.

Riley Hardeman
I'm not overly keen on Hardeman, but at some point the size/speed combo as a medium-type is a bit too much to pass up. I think he's probably a halfback at AFL level. His aerial stuff is fine, but I do think he's probably a long, penetrating kick rather than a real classy user.

Harry Demattia
The eye-test just still hasn't quite sold me on Harry, but the combination of speed on the outside, toughness on the inside and positional versatility suggests he'll find a way to have an AFL career.

Will Green
I've found a bit to like about Will Green. I like his tap work, I like what he does a kick behind the play. He's capable aerially and he's pretty mobile around the ground. For a kid his size, his ball use is pretty safe too. Obviously has a fair bit of physical development left in him, but worth a look in the second round I reckon.

Cooper Simpson
I was a big Cooper Simpson fan going into the year, but he's not completely sold me since. He's super shifty and adds some nice speed around the contest. He's really capable in the forward half too and probably finds himself as a high half forward should he get a look in at the next level. I worry that sometimes he tries to do a little too much, but if it is a problem, that can potentially be coached out of him.

Ollie Murphy
A bit like Hardeman, I'm just not really a big fan of Murphy, although it's possibly a bit ridiculous to have him this low. I think I'd just like to be a little more sold if I was taking a KPD early, and I still have a little bit of a question mark over his contest work and general defensive game. One I'll probably do a deeper dive on before draft day.

Oscar Ryan
I really like Oscar as a medium across half back. I just think generally he's pretty capable at most things. Decent user, capable interceptor. He does enough defensively and can break the lines through halfback. I feel like he plays quicker than he tested, so I'm keen to see his data at the end of the season.

Joel Freijah
My biggest slider. He's just so outside and I probably wanted to see a little more. Harsh because he could be special.

Will Graham
When I go back and do more work on Graham I think he'll be a riser. Nice size as a midfielder, really good speed and has the physicality and contest work to go with it. Had he not played in such a stacked midfield at the Champs he may have got more exposure on the inside and sat a little higher as a result.

Koen Sanchez
Another small who is capable in the forward half, but equally makes things happen through the middle of the ground. I don't see an overly high ceiling but the kid just doesn't do a lot wrong.

Billy Wilson
I've liked Billy most of the year. His shift to the midfield, while impressive, probably doesn't change my view on him too much. I think he probably settles at halfback, should he get a look in at the next level. Good speed, competitive defensively. Kicking and decision-making maybe fractionally inconsistent, but the ability is there.

Charlie Harrop
Another favourite. Nice size and capable goal kicker in the forward half. Power and speed could make him a tough match-up as he develops a bit more. Moves and changes lanes well with ball in hand, so can be capable pushing up the ground and working back. He actually does a sneaky good job of getting out the back so is a real threat in transition.

Ashton Moir
Enough has been said on Moir's year. The forward half talent is there, but I'm not sure he'll ever be a midfielder.

Phoenix Gothard
Another shifty, small forward. Gothard has good goal sense and is a pretty neat user with ball in hand.

I know it's September but I didn't get a chance to share my rankings from last month. The little player summaries take more time than I'd like, but they often help me validate their ranking before I post so I like including them. Unfortunately it takes a bit of motivation to pull them together! Couldn't quite get to 40, but will hopefully get there in the next edition.

1. Harley Reid
2. Jed Walter
3. Zane Duursma
4. Daniel Curtin
5. Nate Caddy
6. Ryley Sanders
7. Connor O'Sullivan
8. Ethan Read
9. Nick Watson
10. Colby McKercher
11. Darcy Wilson
12. Clay Hall
13. Jake Rogers
14. Jordan Croft
15. Caleb Windsor
16. Jack Delean
17. Koltyn Tholstrup
18. Will McCabe
19. Archer Reid
20. Charlie Edwards

21. James Leake
22. Lachie Charleson
23. Riley Hardeman
24. Harry Demattia
25. Will Green
26. Cooper Simpson
27. Ollie Murphy
28. Oscar Ryan
29. Joel Freijah
30. Will Graham
31. Koen Sanchez
32. Billy Wilson
33. Charlie Harrop
34. Ashton Moir
35. Phoenix Gothard

Caleb Windsor
Windsor ticks a lot of boxes for me. He's got a solid athletic profile with his speed being a standout attribute. He's a nice user of the footy and a really capable finisher in front of goal. He's typically played on the wing as an outside midfielder, but I think he has the tools to develop into a more balanced midfielder, where I think his speed and class could see him become a really impactful stoppage player.

Jack Delean
I love Delean but I'm a little concerned about his testing. I'm hoping he shows some improvement in his speed and running capacity as I see both limiting his ceiling. Talent is unquestionable for me.

Charlie Edwards
Edwards is another big riser. He's got great size for a midfielder, he uses the ball really well and is a great finisher in front of goal. He appears at this stage to be outside leaning and I'd love to see him be more physical on the inside. That development would well and truly entrench him in the first round for me. Without any data to prove this, he feels a touch slow for an outside midfielder, but that could be disproved when the end of season testing results come in.

James Leake
Leake is a versatile type who has had some nice moments at both ends of the ground. He comes across as a real competitor and I even wonder whether his contest work might develop enough to see him move on the ball. His aerial work is pretty solid and he's a nice finisher in front of goal. Another who's speed and agility are a slight concern.

Lachie Charleson
Charleson is one of my favourites. He's likely a forward at AFL level, but over time could pinch-hit through the midfield to add some speed and x-factor around the ball. He's classy around goal and if his tackling and forward pressure can go up a level, there's no reason he couldn't have a career at the next level.

Riley Hardeman
I'm not overly keen on Hardeman, but at some point the size/speed combo as a medium-type is a bit too much to pass up. I think he's probably a halfback at AFL level. His aerial stuff is fine, but I do think he's probably a long, penetrating kick rather than a real classy user.

Harry Demattia
The eye-test just still hasn't quite sold me on Harry, but the combination of speed on the outside, toughness on the inside and positional versatility suggests he'll find a way to have an AFL career.

Will Green
I've found a bit to like about Will Green. I like his tap work, I like what he does a kick behind the play. He's capable aerially and he's pretty mobile around the ground. For a kid his size, his ball use is pretty safe too. Obviously has a fair bit of physical development left in him, but worth a look in the second round I reckon.

Cooper Simpson
I was a big Cooper Simpson fan going into the year, but he's not completely sold me since. He's super shifty and adds some nice speed around the contest. He's really capable in the forward half too and probably finds himself as a high half forward should he get a look in at the next level. I worry that sometimes he tries to do a little too much, but if it is a problem, that can potentially be coached out of him.

Ollie Murphy
A bit like Hardeman, I'm just not really a big fan of Murphy, although it's possibly a bit ridiculous to have him this low. I think I'd just like to be a little more sold if I was taking a KPD early, and I still have a little bit of a question mark over his contest work and general defensive game. One I'll probably do a deeper dive on before draft day.

Oscar Ryan
I really like Oscar as a medium across half back. I just think generally he's pretty capable at most things. Decent user, capable interceptor. He does enough defensively and can break the lines through halfback. I feel like he plays quicker than he tested, so I'm keen to see his data at the end of the season.

Joel Freijah
My biggest slider. He's just so outside and I probably wanted to see a little more. Harsh because he could be special.

Will Graham
When I go back and do more work on Graham I think he'll be a riser. Nice size as a midfielder, really good speed and has the physicality and contest work to go with it. Had he not played in such a stacked midfield at the Champs he may have got more exposure on the inside and sat a little higher as a result.

Koen Sanchez
Another small who is capable in the forward half, but equally makes things happen through the middle of the ground. I don't see an overly high ceiling but the kid just doesn't do a lot wrong.

Billy Wilson
I've liked Billy most of the year. His shift to the midfield, while impressive, probably doesn't change my view on him too much. I think he probably settles at halfback, should he get a look in at the next level. Good speed, competitive defensively. Kicking and decision-making maybe fractionally inconsistent, but the ability is there.

Charlie Harrop
Another favourite. Nice size and capable goal kicker in the forward half. Power and speed could make him a tough match-up as he develops a bit more. Moves and changes lanes well with ball in hand, so can be capable pushing up the ground and working back. He actually does a sneaky good job of getting out the back so is a real threat in transition.

Ashton Moir
Enough has been said on Moir's year. The forward half talent is there, but I'm not sure he'll ever be a midfielder.

Phoenix Gothard
Another shifty, small forward. Gothard has good goal sense and is a pretty neat user with ball in hand.

How do you rate the defensive games of Curtin, O’Sullivan, Murphy against each other? And what type of player will they take defensively at AFL level?

How do you rate the defensive games of Curtin, O’Sullivan, Murphy against each other? And what type of player will they take defensively at AFL level?
I have both ahead of Murphy, though Curtin probably not light-years ahead. I think both Curtin and O'Sullivan are more competitive in the contest and I have more confidence that translates at the next level. Both are still very capable as interceptors. The biggest separator between the three, in my view, is that Curtin and O'Sullivan are far more well-rounded, especially with what they bring offensively.

In terms of who they'd match up on at the next level. I think you'd be hoping Murphy could take the first or second tall. I think O'Sullivan could play on a range of different types because I think he's got genuine scope to be the best key defender on a list. Curtin is probably more suited to the second or third tall defensively, because you'd want to free him up a little more to hurt the opposition going the other way.

Any specific reason why you have McKercher so low?

Everyone else has him in the top 4-5 and the second best midfield prospect after Reid.

Any specific reason why you have McKercher so low?

Everyone else has him in the top 4-5 and the second best midfield prospect after Reid.
There's not a lot between that top 10 to be honest, so I wouldn't read too much into it. I guess I maybe have a slight question mark over his contested ball winning at the next level, so that's why he sits behind the others. He's still part of that top tier though, so while it's a few pegs down, I don't have a great deal between McKercher and those ahead of him.

Jack Delean Draft Profile
Jack Delean Draft Profile

Delean is one of my favourite's from this year's crop. He's just got so much natural talent and does plenty of things that others can't on a football field. I'm a little bit worried that the lack of speed and endurance is going to cost him, but I just hope someone backs in the talent and gives him a crack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Post-trade week phantom draft
It's phantom draft season :hearteyes:

I haven't fussed terribly over this but it's a first crack to get things underway.

Round 1

1. West Coast - Harley Reid
2. Gold Coast - Jed Walter (matched bid)
3. North Melbourne - Nick Watson
4. North Melbourne - Daniel Curtin
5. Hawthorn - Zane Duursma
6. Western Bulldogs - Colby McKercher
7. Melbourne - Nate Caddy
8. Gold Coast - Ethan Read (matched bid)
9. GWS - Ryley Sanders
10. Geelong - Connor O'Sullivan
11. Essendon - Darcy Wilson
12. Adelaide - Caleb Windsor
13. Western Bulldogs - Jordan Croft (matched bid)
14. Melbourne - James Leake
15. Gold Coast - Jake Rogers (matched bid)
16. Sydney - Riley Hardeman
17. St Kilda - Charlie Edwards
18. Hawthorn - Will McCabe (matched bid)
19. Adelaide - Koltyn Tholstrup
20. North Melbourne - Zane Zakostelsky
21. GWS - Lance Collard
22. North Melbourne - Harry Demattia
23. North Melbourne - Will Green
24. Collingwood - Ollie Murphy
25. Adelaide - Arie Schoenmaker
26. St Kilda - Archie Roberts
27. Carlton - Archer Reid

Ewww Arie Schoenmaker...
Yeah Arie isn't really for me either. A Tasmanian that fills a list gap though, so it wouldn't stun me. I'd already gone Tholstrup over Demattia which was definitely more what I want rather than what I think we'd actually do.

Who do you think we'd take with that third selection (assuming we hold it in that position)?

My ideal draft if we retain all picks would be Wilson (10), DeMattia (14), Mitch Edwards (20).

I think Kane McAuliffe is way better than some give him credit for given he's been contending with osteo-pubis all season and once he got a block of decent rest/rehab in he showed at the Combine what he is capable of athletically when FULLY FIT, the pity for him is he couldn't display that ability during the season because of the niggles. No problem at all if we somehow find a spot for him.

If we don't take a developing ruck in the main draft I would seriously like to grab Gippy Power's Lachlan Smith if available as a rookie.

I looked long and hard at Demattia with that second selection. I think it's right up our alley, so you could be in luck there! I'm not really a Mitch Edwards fan, so I'd prefer others there. If Wilson isn't available, who would you like with that first pick?

I was going to dedicate a whole post to McAuliffe because I'm so stuck on him. When you consider all the physical attributes and his role/style, you'd think he'd be a top 30 lock. He just hasn't passed the eye test for me though. As you said, he hasn't put it all together yet. To a lesser extent, I feel similar about Tom Wheaton. I love his physical attributes, but I don't think his football is quite at the level it needs to be to get a look in.

Yuk. Yuk and Yuk!

No way we don't take McKercher at 2 or 3. I'll give up if that's the case.
Come on man, loosen up! With a midfield group that already has LDU, Simpkin, Wardlaw, Phillips, Powell, Sheezel and Thomas (+ Zurhaar on occasion), I don't think it would be that crazy to not take McKercher. Especially with the depth of midfield options at the top end next year and the unknown risk of taking Tasmanian's over the next few drafts. That being said, I think Colby would complement your midfield group nicely, so it certainly wouldn't be a surprise at all.

I think Duursma will be right in contention too and I do feel North should consider one of Curtin or O'Sullivan.

Come on man, loosen up! With a midfield group that already has LDU, Simpkin, Wardlaw, Phillips, Powell, Sheezel and Thomas (+ Zurhaar on occasion), I don't think it would be that crazy to not take McKercher. Especially with the depth of midfield options at the top end next year and the unknown risk of taking Tasmanian's over the next few drafts. That being said, I think Colby would complement your midfield group nicely, so it certainly wouldn't be a surprise at all.

I think Duursma will be right in contention too and I do feel North should consider one of Curtin or O'Sullivan.

Hey, leave my Sire out of this!

McKercher has qualities our other mids don't have. I think he'd be perfect on a wing for us, rotating in the middle as well.

I think the jury is still out on Phillips and Powell as to whether they can become top line mids. Sheezel in the long term would ideally play forward I think while rotating through the midfield. Thomas and Zurhaar have previously expressed interest at looking at other clubs and at this point are probably a 50/50 that they are still with us beyond next year.

Premiership teams seem to have 4 or more premium mids. I'm not sure we're quite there yet...

17. Koltyn Tholstrup

Has Tholstrup improved in your rankings given his good combine results - 2nd in the agility (8.194s) and top 10 in the 2km time trial (6m 17s)?

Hey, leave my Sire out of this!

McKercher has qualities our other mids don't have. I think he'd be perfect on a wing for us, rotating in the middle as well.

I think the jury is still out on Phillips and Powell as to whether they can become top line mids. Sheezel in the long term would ideally play forward I think while rotating through the midfield. Thomas and Zurhaar have previously expressed interest at looking at other clubs and at this point are probably a 50/50 that they are still with us beyond next year.

Premiership teams seem to have 4 or more premium mids. I'm not sure we're quite there yet...
I agree with all of this. As I mentioned earlier, I think Colby is a nice fit for your midfield. I just think it's justifiable going Watson or Duursma when you weigh up the existing midfield group, the Tasmanian risk factor and the depth of mids in next years draft.

It's phantom draft season :hearteyes:

I haven't fussed terribly over this but it's a first crack to get things underway.

Round 1

1. West Coast - Harley Reid
2. Gold Coast - Jed Walter (matched bid)
3. North Melbourne - Nick Watson
4. North Melbourne - Daniel Curtin
5. Hawthorn - Zane Duursma
6. Western Bulldogs - Colby McKercher
7. Melbourne - Nate Caddy
8. Gold Coast - Ethan Read (matched bid)
9. GWS - Ryley Sanders
10. Geelong - Connor O'Sullivan
11. Essendon - Darcy Wilson
12. Adelaide - Caleb Windsor
13. Western Bulldogs - Jordan Croft (matched bid)
14. Melbourne - James Leake
15. Gold Coast - Jake Rogers (matched bid)
16. Sydney - Riley Hardeman
17. St Kilda - Charlie Edwards
18. Hawthorn - Will McCabe (matched bid)
19. Adelaide - Koltyn Tholstrup
20. North Melbourne - Zane Zakostelsky
21. GWS - Lance Collard
22. North Melbourne - Harry Demattia
23. North Melbourne - Will Green
24. Collingwood - Ollie Murphy
25. Adelaide - Arie Schoenmaker
26. St Kilda - Archie Roberts
27. Carlton - Archer Reid
I'm kinda with you on Edwards & Roberts, coz they are local lads.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back