More wage theft, this time it's Coles at maybe $20m... and Woolies at $300m+

Remove this Banner Ad

These error always seem to be in the companies favour, why?
It happens the other way too some of the times it's recouped others not. When Coles (or whoever) finds errors in their payroll their is usually people overpaid as well, but you don't recoup unless its a large sum and inevitably many are no longer employed over the 6 year period. Also if you are over paid in year 1 and underpaid in year 2 you can't offset. The problem generally lies with big companies at least with multiple complex ebas which can't be easily put on payroll systems with manual workarounds that don't get done. In addition most of the ebas are so badly written that interpretation is a real issue.

To say a corporate entity goes out of its way to underpay people is in my experience nonsense. I have seen non commercial entities overpay people for years and not do anything about it as well.

Just me or is this happening more often since 2013 ?

There has to be a fault in the system & it should be widely known by now.
That an organisation chaired by Steve Bracks has been guilty of underpayment exposes the folly of leaping to assume it is deliberate - imho, it should be specifically reported on by the external auditors for say the next 3-5 years.

These error always seem to be in the companies favour, why?

I've personally been overpaid by Coles due to payroll mismanagement.

I also stole a lime the other week because the self service till got this shits which in turn gave me the shits and it was just easier that way. Take that, Coles. If everybody steals 90c worth of produce every so often we'll get that $20m back in no time.

I dont care if Coles overpays as they ae resonsible.

It doesnt make them equels pequels when they underpay. They are also responsible for failing to meet their legal obligations.

20 million is chump change so maybe it was an error. They should still be punished pretty severely tho. Ignorance is no excuse and all that.

This would be the only way to stop it happening. When you have the biggest companies blaming systems and human errors for underpaying tens of millions... Can only imagine what the 2nd and 3rd tier level companies doing
It's crazy how we treat companies better than we treat ourselves.

Our Political system has become the panting lap dog to all big business
Buried so far up big businesses arse they know what they are having for breakfast tomorrow.

never mind that its small business that's the employer.... Its small business taking on trainees and apprentices while big companies just 457.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you take Cormann at his word, difficult I know and believe him when he says low wage growth is government policy it stands to reason that wage theft is not high on their list of priorities when there's religious freedoms to uphold and climate change activists to smear.

Yeah but you also have to factor in some of the banks getting greedy and folding etc

and the great depression was a huge hit.

Surely this 4000 year old individual would start their own money lending scheme and become the Egyptian version of the Rothchilds? I'd like to think if I lived for 4500 years I could have come up with some way to earn a return on my money. I think this individual isn't a very good investor.

If you take Cormann at his word, difficult I know and believe him when he says low wage growth is government policy it stands to reason that wage theft is not high on their list of priorities when there's religious freedoms to uphold and climate change activists to smear.
I wouldn't trust Cormann as far as I could spit, just listen to that accent.

Surely this 4000 year old individual would start their own money lending scheme and become the Egyptian version of the Rothchilds? I'd like to think if I lived for 4500 years I could have come up with some way to earn a return on my money. I think this individual isn't a very good investor.
They actually were - but see the allies and the axis forces and ww1 and 2 and constant european / american conflict over their resources took its toll.

like imagine if the asian countries were the world powers and every so many years they just rolled through australia as part of their wars as it was strategically important to hold australia.

when they werent outright occupying us and just taking our resources whilst destroying half the country fighting giving, holding, taking and losing ground - they were fighting proxy wars with one country funding one side of politics and their militias and the other country funding the other side. Leading to more destruction of course.

Imagine if this had gone on for well over a century - imagine then also that australians were pissed off as s**t at the constant interference and the catholic church used this anger to fuel religious fundamentalism.

A few percent of us who were mentally fragile to start with were convinced that being a suicide bomber was a one way ticket to heaven.

and as a result all the asian countries thought of ALL australians as religious nutjobs.

Last edited:
I've personally been overpaid by Coles due to payroll mismanagement.

I also stole a lime the other week because the self service till got this shits which in turn gave me the shits and it was just easier that way. Take that, Coles. If everybody steals 90c worth of produce every so often we'll get that $20m back in no time.
I could imagine you doing a Karl Pilkington and stealing a Mars bar every shift. How many years did you work there?

People who don't know their award and how to read a pay slip have rocks in their head.

It's one of those basic life skills that people aren't really taught in school, along with how credit cards work (and why most people should never get them) and why you should take some time to sort your superannuation investment options out ASAP when you start working.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back