Most Boring VFL/AFL Player Encounters/Sightings.

Remove this Banner Ad

I was driving in Richmond and Barry Hall was at a round-about. I slowed because I anticipated him crossing, but he stopped as well, so I went to go through the round-about but then he started moving again, so I stopped, but then so did he. Then he smiled, and kept walking and I waved and waited for him to walk through.

It was the greatest moment of my life.

Seated next to Setanta O'Hailpin on a plane last year.

Was so excited, getting ready for a big chat. Not a superstar player, but figured he'd be more interesting than most to chat to.

He sat down, popped on huge headphones and closed his eyes.

All he was missing was a 'closed for conversation' sign. Disappointing.

Was next to Cyril at the self checkout at Coles a while back. I was starstruck.

And yes, what a scanner... out of the basket across the barcode reader and into the bag with the flick of a wrist... no misses or errors and you could barely see the products he was going so fast.

As you'd expect.

This thread is absolute gold.

- Sat across from Robert Warnock on one of the shitty small planes to Canberra, watching him contort himself was great.
- Talked on the phone to Paul Vanderhaar, absolute deadshit and dumb as a box of hammers.
- Was in line to get a plane to Canberra ahead of Mark Neeld a week after he got the arse, was tempted to ask him if his reality bus was broken down but then I thought differently.

Inspirational.

Sat behind Mark Zanotti on a bus in 2000.
Guys already mentioned:
Saw Matty Lappin getting a haircut 2 years ago.
Found myself swimming next to Daniel Merrett at broadbeach 6 years ago.

I saw two cars pull out outside a school. Some NM players got out, went into the school and voted.

Then they got into the cars and drove away.

They did not buy sausages.
UnAustralian. I don't want to hear another word about the Shinboner spirit. Those players are dead to me.

I saw Jonathon Giles in the shops. Well, actually, I saw his attractive girlfriend and wondered why she was with an unkempt, lanky, dorky looking guy. Then it all made sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw Michael Hurley walking through Queens Park on his own the other weekend. I was was going to say something smartass and drug related but I was with my 70 year old dad who is deaf and useless in a fight nowadays.

He was bigger than me too and looked fit. Do not let that shitty beard (he was still wearing) fool you.

Saturday night just gone me and my mate managed to snag a photo with Mitch Brown (West Coast) at The George in Ballarat when initially our aim was to get one with his brother Nathan. Mitch happened to be closer to us at the time, so we thought he would do. Somehow he must of intuitively knew this because he did not smile once!

Also saw Hughsy close up when he was searching for his seat at the most recent Carlton v Melbourne game a couple of months back. His head is even bigger close up, ginormous.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm calling bullshit on this one

Everyone knows Eagles players on drink coke not water

If you are going to do the joke, do it correctly.

It should be everyone knows Eagles Players drink coke with ice, not water. :p

Please note Eagles fans, I am just joking here.

A bunch of St. Kilda players were on my flight to the US post season in 2012. Later found out it was for Riewoldt's wedding.

Milne and Montagna got so drunk that they were soon cut off from ordering alcohol. Asked me to get them some red wine. I did it, only for Montagna to then blame me for 'dobbing them in' to the flight attendants (his words). I asked him what the hell he was talking about.

Milne kept walking up and down the aisle all flight knocking into the seats and disturbing my movie. I felt like doing a George:

Franklin and Gibson were on the same flight to LA. I headed around the country then saw Gibson in LA again at my hotel five weeks later.

Two years later I was back at the same hotel and Gibson turned up once again. I actually used to play footy with him, but I didn't say anything either time.

I was working in a mall on the gc selling face cleaning products. I thought some bloke was wearing a Freddy Kreuger mask for halloween, but was in fact Matthew Kreuzer. I tried to stop n sell him some products, but he totally ignored me and kept walking. Very dull interaction.

Once saw Brett Ratten on the gc with his kids on holidays (was the current CFC coach at the time). We spoke for 5 mins about how brilliant careers we had to look forward to of Yarran, Bell, Warnock, Robinson & Betts. Looking back, what a dull, waste of time that convo was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back