Most electrifying game of AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 22, 2019
Newcastle, New South Wales
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Yankees, Knicks, SYD Thunder
Whats the most electrifying game of Footy that you have ever been to or seen on TV? Coming from the Rugby land of Newcastle, I unfortunately have only been to 3 games in Melbourne but the best I've been to is the Hawks win over the Cats at the MCG on Easter Monday in 2018 where we won by a point

From the Electrifying 80's
Some crazy second half quarters against Lethal Leigh Hawks had to be seen to be believed.
eights goals in about 6 minutes at one stage from memory.
Dominator, the Buzz, Kenny Hunter, Harmesy and Ashman in their prime. Nothing more electrifying I seen since.

Electrifying? Surely the one where the MCG scoreboard caught fire.
images

One that always sticks in the memory for me was our close loss to the Bombers at Docklands in 2004. The one where Hird kicked the matchwinner and hugged the fan over the fence. Something like 130 odd points each with about a dozen goals coming in the last. Lloyd kicked a bag and Cousins and Hird each kicked multiple goals.

And of course last year's GF.

Carlton v Collingwood at Princes Park...
two top teams... a huge crowd that was overflowing... amazing footy on the field... scary all in blues on the field...
the crowd was loud but i felt safe...
as a 9 year old this cemented me to footy for ever...
and we won...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s difficult not to be biased, but I’d say dogs vs gws prelim in 2016. Can’t comment as a neutral though.

Non-dogs game is tricky, last year’s GF would be recency bias because from memory it wasn’t actually amazing for the middle part but did have a great finish.

Random home and away game would be the game where Brisbane came back from 7 or 8 goals down against the cats and McGrath kicked the winner. I had nothing invested in that game but was out of my seat as the lions managed to travel the length of the ground in what seemed like a few seconds for him to mark on the siren. From memory that was actually a god quality game with an epic comeback in the fourth.

I'll limit it to ones I've been to, but Bombers vs Tigers at the MCG in 2009, one of the first footy games I went to in Melbourne, sticks out. It was a close one and the atmosphere was electric.

St.Kilda v Richmond round 9 in 1997 was a great game to be at in terms of atmosphere. We don't get too many of those as a Saints fan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back