Mumford Joins GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty good pick up for GWS actually. Has the experience of a 100 gamer and premiership winner, but also a few solid years left in him. These are the kind of players they should've had from day dot.

GWS will want to trade so they can keep the psd pick 1 to use as a threat in other trades but Swans wont get much at all. A pick gws wont use most likely.

Poor move by the Swans. If they didn't get all excited about signing Buddy up, they would have and should have gotten far more for Mummy

Poor move by the Swans. If they didn't get all excited about signing Buddy up, they would have and should have gotten far more for Mummy
Probably the worst handling of a player by our club for a long long time. Personally I'm a little peeved that some of our players will be a bit poorly treated this year, but I guess I'll forget about it when Bud brings in memberships and bums on seats etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't think so, could be a good ruck combo

Not only that, he seems to play pretty damn well in the forward line too as a resting ruck, seen him take some good grabs and has a half decent kicking action too. Mumford & Giles are two big-bodied ruckman who I think will give the GWS mids a real boost.

Not only that, he seems to play pretty damn well in the forward line too as a resting ruck, seen him take some good grabs and has a half decent kicking action too. Mumford & Giles are two big-bodied ruckman who I think will give the GWS mids a real boost.
Absolutely, they just need a big body in defence and a strong clearance player

Giles is a capable forward, but assuming the Giants pick Boyd I'm not sure the backup ruckman would be needed to spend much time in the forward line.

Does Giles now look elsewhere?

The Giants stated last year (when Giles was looking for a #1 ruck gig and didn't get one) that they see him as the ideal #2, and on-field it showed they were right. Giles had much better games this year when Brogan was also in the team, despite Brogan being about as much use as playing 7 foot chunk of rock in the middle.

they didn't really have much choice. Mummy was looking for a longer contract anyway Bud's arrival was the final nail in the coffin. All parties knew that so Mumford basically got the best deal he could before he could be shopped around. GWS could afford him and they need a solid ruck.
The main concern for the Swans is that their ruck stocks are suddenly thin.

they didn't really have much choice. Mummy was looking for a longer contract anyway Bud's arrival was the final nail in the coffin. All parties knew that so Mumford basically got the best deal he could before he could be shopped around. GWS could afford him and they need a solid ruck.
The main concern for the Swans is that their ruck stocks are suddenly thin.

Pyke's alright, and Tippet's an okay R/F player, but what do they have after that? Agree with you that their ruck stocks look very thin, but they had to cut someone big to fit Buddy in. What's available for them ruckwise though?

Pyke's alright, and Tippet's an okay R/F player, but what do they have after that? Agree with you that their ruck stocks look very thin, but they had to cut someone big to fit Buddy in. What's available for them ruckwise though?

Not much I would think unless they find a state-league player (like an Orren Stephenson-type) or manage to find someone who is languishing at another club and wants more game time (like Mummy when he left Geelong).
Speaking of which, maybe someone like Trent West?

Pyke is clearly now their No.1 ruck and anyone they bring it would be back-up.

Guess that means they might still look to offload pick 1? Hard to fit Mumford, Giles, Cameron, Patton and Boyd in the one team.

I'm sure they'll still look to offload it, but I suspect it's not going to be traded given the difficulty in prying loose a player actually worth it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back