murphy - father son?

Remove this Banner Ad

Heaps of threads on this wherever you look but nobody is sure Murph wants to come to Brisbane. There's conjecture whether Mr Murphy is pro-Brisbane as there are stories going around that he doesn't believe Brisbane is 'his Fitzroy' nor does Jnr (Marc) apparently barrack for the Lions.

Nobody knows what's going to happen until draft time. We're all hoping he wants to head north of course and he'll definitely be worth a 3rd round pick if he wants to come?

Tim the Toolman said:
Heaps of threads on this wherever you look but nobody is sure Murph wants to come to Brisbane. There's conjecture whether Mr Murphy is pro-Brisbane as there are stories going around that he doesn't believe Brisbane is 'his Fitzroy' nor does Jnr (Marc) apparently barrack for the Lions.

Nobody knows what's going to happen until draft time. We're all hoping he wants to head north of course and he'll definitely be worth a 3rd round pick if he wants to come?

even if he doesnt, wouldnt they draft him for a third and then trade him for a first or something, realise its getting ahead a bit, but can you trade draft picks?

Vidman said:
even if he doesnt, wouldnt they draft him for a third and then trade him for a first or something, realise its getting ahead a bit, but can you trade draft picks?

Can only draft him under father son rules if he agrees. Cannot trade draft picks in the way you're suggesting.
He barracks for the Kangaroos but it mostly depends on whether he wants a guaranteed spot at Brisbane or take a chance to stay in Victoria.
I'd say he'll take the Brisbane option.

Adelaide Hawk said:
I don't know if people know this, but John Murphy's father played for Hawthorn. The Hawks wanted Murphy to play for them under father/son, but Murphy considered he wouldn't make the Hawks team so he joined Fitzroy. I've heard young Murphy is very good.

When John Murphy played there wasn't any draft or Father/son rule and usually you were zoned or residentially tied to a club. So I am not sure how he would have had the choice of either choosing the Hawks or the Roys.

Blue Boyz said:
When John Murphy played there wasn't any draft or Father/son rule and usually you were zoned or residentially tied to a club. So I am not sure how he would have had the choice of either choosing the Hawks or the Roys.

They were John Murphy's words, not mine. I heard him in an interview on SEN a couple of months ago. He indicated he could have played for Hawthorn if he wanted to but felt he wasn't good enough. Here's something I found in an archive from the AFL website:

Interestingly enough, the father-son rule dates back to 1950, when a youngster by the name of Harvey Dunn jnr was the first player claimed.

Dunn jnr was recruited by Carlton, after his father Harvey Dunn snr played 71 matches – yet young Harvey notched up just nine games.

And while the father-son rule has provided many clubs with the opportunity to continue the family tradition, two of the game’s greatest players – Ron Barassi jnr and Kevin Murray were early pioneers of the ruling.

Barassi jnr played for Melbourne under the father-son rule after his father Ron Barassi Snr made his name for the red and blue. But Barassi jnr had to escape the ‘zone’ that he was tied to before he could carry on the famous name at Melbourne.

Barassi, of course is an official legend of the game, after he played 254 games (204 with Melbourne and 50 with Carlton), including six premierships and two as captain with the Demons.

He also won two best and fairests with Melbourne, before coaching four premierships – two with Carlton and two with North Melbourne. Barassi was also named in the VFL/AFL team of the century and remains a household name today.

Murray, a Fitzroy legend, followed in his father’s footsteps at the Roys, after being recruited via the father-son rule. He was zoned to near-by club Collingwood – but under the established rule was able to join Fitzroy.

History now shows Murray was one of the all-time greats, after he played 333 games (a Fitzroy record), captained the club in 159 matches, won nine club best and fairests (the equal most with Bob Skilton in VFL/AFL history) and claimed the Brownlow Medal in 1969. He was also named in the VFL/AFL team of the century in 1996.

Groucho said:
Can only draft him under father son rules if he agrees. Cannot trade draft picks in the way you're suggesting.
He barracks for the Kangaroos but it mostly depends on whether he wants a guaranteed spot at Brisbane or take a chance to stay in Victoria.
I'd say he'll take the Brisbane option.

Wow I havnt heard that either. Is that like a normal draft though, in theory they can choose not to go, but they would have to sit out the year or something? Wasnt that what buckley threatened to do to Brisbane if he didnt get his one year contract? Or is there some special father/son rule twist.

Vidman said:
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,15717886%5E19897,00.html

In the article they state that he's a father son, can anyone confirm this? It'll cost us a third rounder, anyone know where he would have gone if he wasnt a father son? Might get a bargain here.

he would be an absolute steal if you guys were to get him as hes a gun, i played against him in a grand final last week and he was one of the best but i dont think he was absolutely brilliant.
Still a gun though dont get me wrong

I know a few players who sat out a year so they wouldn't play with the Roys when they were drafted: Brett Cook, Matt Mansfield even that hack Ben Holland. It was common for players not to go to Fitzroy when we were struggling.

Buddy Franklin said:
he would be an absolute steal if you guys were to get him as hes a gun, i played against him in a grand final last week and he was one of the best but i dont think he was absolutely brilliant.
Still a gun though dont get me wrong

Cool thanks for the info. What was his strengths/weaknesses that you saw? Who would you compare him too? style of play wise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide Hawk said:
They were John Murphy's words, not mine. I heard him in an interview on SEN a couple of months ago. He indicated he could have played for Hawthorn if he wanted to but felt he wasn't good enough. Here's something I found in an archive from the AFL website:

Interestingly enough, the father-son rule dates back to 1950, when a youngster by the name of Harvey Dunn jnr was the first player claimed.

Dunn jnr was recruited by Carlton, after his father Harvey Dunn snr played 71 matches – yet young Harvey notched up just nine games.

And while the father-son rule has provided many clubs with the opportunity to continue the family tradition, two of the game’s greatest players – Ron Barassi jnr and Kevin Murray were early pioneers of the ruling.

Barassi jnr played for Melbourne under the father-son rule after his father Ron Barassi Snr made his name for the red and blue. But Barassi jnr had to escape the ‘zone’ that he was tied to before he could carry on the famous name at Melbourne.

Barassi, of course is an official legend of the game, after he played 254 games (204 with Melbourne and 50 with Carlton), including six premierships and two as captain with the Demons.

He also won two best and fairests with Melbourne, before coaching four premierships – two with Carlton and two with North Melbourne. Barassi was also named in the VFL/AFL team of the century and remains a household name today.

Murray, a Fitzroy legend, followed in his father’s footsteps at the Roys, after being recruited via the father-son rule. He was zoned to near-by club Collingwood – but under the established rule was able to join Fitzroy.

History now shows Murray was one of the all-time greats, after he played 333 games (a Fitzroy record), captained the club in 159 matches, won nine club best and fairests (the equal most with Bob Skilton in VFL/AFL history) and claimed the Brownlow Medal in 1969. He was also named in the VFL/AFL team of the century in 1996.

I stand corrected Adelaide Hawk and what you have posted makes very good reading. It's also interesting to note that Barrassi, Murray and may be even John Murphy were recruited before Victorian zoning was introducing was introduced in 1967 or '68, not to be confused with the metropolitan zoning which had been in placed long before that date.

In the time of zoning I can't recall any player off the top of my head being recruited to a VFL club under the father/son rule although I am now starting to wonder about Micheal Turner to Geelong, son of Leo and Stephen Icke of Nth Melb, son of Laurie.

Maybe someone else can refresh my memory with some other names of father/son recruits in the time of zoning.

VICTORIA METROPOLITAN: 4.4 9.7 10.9 13.10 (88)
WESTERN AUSTRALIA: 2.1 3.2 5.5 9.7 (61)
GOALS - Vic Metro: Dowler 4, Phillips 3, Adams, Bentley, Krakouer, McKinley, Murphy, Thomas Western Australia: Heise 2, Kennedy 2, Ballantyne, Gribble, Gumbleton, Oakley-Nicholls, Seal
BEST - Vic Metro: Murphy, Dowler, Jones, Nahas, Phillips, Spangher, McKinley

Marc Murphy - the son of former VFL/AFL player John - was outstanding with 23 touches. A member of last year's championships, he is eligible for this year's NAB AFL Draft and is in contention to be taken by the Brisbane Lions with the father/son rule.

Go to school with Murph, and I know hes a keen Kangaroo supporter.

Not sure about his intentions, althought I know hes a bloody good footballer.

Blue Boyz said:

North Balwyn was Hawthorn and Bulleen was Fitzroy they are seperated by a street.Might have had something to do with it.?????????????
May have been cleared at a junior level?

I remeber a story about West being a Bomber and Mercuri a Dog and they lived in back to back houses but in the wrong zones.

In the good old days I am sure clubs rented houses and moved families in to there zone. You guys should have got Reiwolt a flat in Brizzy.

Vidman said:
Cool thanks for the info. What was his strengths/weaknesses that you saw? Who would you compare him too? style of play wise.

Would liken him to a tyson edwards , small gets the ball uses it well and can kick a goal

Seeing him first hand on quite a few occasions and being a bomber man, I would liken him to an Angus Monfries. Both are incredibly tough, aggressive and hard at the ball, top tacklers, have excellent hand and foot skills and good accelleration, maybe Murph on the other hand has the extra added bonus of goal kicking ability, although young Angus has popped up a few times to kick a few for us this year. Very similar size wise as well, but as Angus has proved, size doesnt matter. His efforts and courage against the big bodied eagles in the wet 2 weeks back were just inspiring and uncompromising.

Nandoz said:
Seeing him first hand on quite a few occasions and being a bomber man, I would liken him to an Angus Monfries. Both are incredibly tough, aggressive and hard at the ball, top tacklers, have excellent hand and foot skills and good accelleration, maybe Murph on the other hand has the extra added bonus of goal kicking ability, although young Angus has popped up a few times to kick a few for us this year. Very similar size wise as well, but as Angus has proved, size doesnt matter. His efforts and courage against the big bodied eagles in the wet 2 weeks back were just inspiring and uncompromising.

If he's something like Monfries you'd be happy. He's looking very smart and hardnosed for a currently undersized first year kid. Lots to like.

Marc Murphy would easily be a top 10 pick if he didn't go F/S

And I'd be fairly confident in saying that he'll agree to go to the Lions

After all, if he takes his chances he could just as easily end up somewhere like Fremantle

Ert said:
Marc Murphy would easily be a top 10 pick if he didn't go F/S

And I'd be fairly confident in saying that he'll agree to go to the Lions

After all, if he takes his chances he could just as easily end up somewhere like Fremantle

He's no chance to go to fremantle, if its not the lions it will be 1 of 3 vic clubs who will make up the bottom 3.

Vidman said:
Wow I havnt heard that either. Is that like a normal draft though, in theory they can choose not to go, but they would have to sit out the year or something? Wasnt that what buckley threatened to do to Brisbane if he didnt get his one year contract? Or is there some special father/son rule twist.

Father-son is different, the player has to agree to being drafted under the father-son rule otherwise he just enters the draft as a normal draftee. Assuming nobody picked him up and Brisbane got to him first then he would either have to go to Brisbane or sit out of football. He does not have to miss for not wanted to be drafted under the father-son rule.

I wouldn't worry too much about which team he supported as a junior, it is rarely ever a factor. He would have two major concerns, a) does he want to move to Brisbane for 10+ years, as a teenager it is a big move. b) would he play in a position where he would have a reasonable chance to play AFL football.

If he just entered the draft and he was the best available then Carlton might pick him and I would imagine he would be playing senior football pretty quickly. It could be a longer and harder road at Brisbane for the opportunity.

I think kids of this day and age are more prepared to travel though, given the interstate teams pick up a lot of Victorians they know there is a high chance that it can happen. I'd rather go to the Lions than the Swans or Fremantle...

Blue Boyz said:
Maybe someone else can refresh my memory with some other names of father/son recruits in the time of zoning.
Ted Whitten junior lived in Altona and was zoned to South Melbourne.

From the vault. John Pitura was a gun for South in the late 60's and early 70's. Richmond poached him (through the courts, maybe?). Pitura's son (who turned out to be a dud) was considered the next big thing but Pitura had played less than 50 games with Richmond. No problem for Alan Schwab (then in Angry Anderson's job) who changed the F/S qualification to 25 games then changed it back the next year.

Nandoz said:
Go to school with Murph, and I know hes a keen Kangaroo supporter.

Not sure about his intentions, althought I know hes a bloody good footballer.

Thanks for all the info everybody, good background. Looks like we may have a couple of gaps in our midfield in a couple of years, with Voss, Lappin and aker getting on a bit. Maybe he could slot in there?

And if you go to school with him, tell him we'd love him at Brisbane! the fans want him here!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back