NCFL Central discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

What are people’s ideas or opinions on what nully and wyche will be called and colours etc ?

With two* (3 I suppose) clubs with that much history, I wouldn't be surprised if they go the same way as Southern Mallee Giants and try and forge an entirely new identity. Saves the haggle over who retains 'more' of the previous identity and gives a fresh start to get fully behind?

Having said that, I reckon maroon and navy/blue together look great, e.g. Sandhurst, Fitzroy when they were the Gorillas, Barca etc.

If they do go a compromise position, this kind of thing with a white Demon in the middle would look good.

Whatever it is, I just hope they don't go with something too unique and edgy, that white Bulls strip with the fades is still giving me nightmares, absolute shocker.
1710931129949.png

They'd share the home fixtures I would suggest. Half and half for the first few years at least.

I reckon Wycheproof-Nullawil rolls of the tongue nicely. Maybe combine that with an original nickname for a club in the region.

You have to be careful not to confuse people with the use of 'Mallee' in a team name otherwise you could get confused with the likes of Lalbert/Mallee Eagles as well as the Southern Mallee Giants / Southern Mallee Thunder.

Left field suggestion to bring another group of volunteers, possible players, to table, could Quambatook get involved in some capacity to still have something rather than nothing like they do now?

They'd share the home fixtures I would suggest. Half and half for the first few years at least.

I reckon Wycheproof-Nullawil rolls of the tongue nicely. Maybe combine that with an original nickname for a club in the region.

You have to be careful not to confuse people with the use of 'Mallee' in a team name otherwise you could get confused with the likes of Lalbert/Mallee Eagles as well as the Southern Mallee Giants / Southern Mallee Thunder.
I feel like they won’t be able to play at nully unless they get a hockey field. Because it is still north central football netball HOCKEY association

I feel like they won’t be able to play at nully unless they get a hockey field. Because it is still north central football netball HOCKEY association

Well actually, three completely separate entities, who just happen to do a bit of coordination throughout the season.

I think we are most likely to see a bit of selective ground allocations, based on the hockeys impact to the gate. I’d imagine the clubs with the biggest hockey following will be allocated to Wyche, with the others heading up to Nully (and hockey still @ Wyche?)

Wedderburn for example, one of the lesser participated hockey clubs of recent times, will quickly get flagged to be a Nully round.

Left field suggestion to bring another group of volunteers, possible players, to table, could Quambatook get involved in some capacity to still have something rather than nothing like they do now?

There are reasons why Quamby opted to fold, as opposed to investigate a potential merge.

I am not on top of those reasons, but I would imagine they still exist a year later, if not more exacerbated, now that the player and volunteer base has spread to various other clubs in the area .

Mallee Matadors

Nullawyche

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well actually, three completely separate entities, who just happen to do a bit of coordination throughout the season.

I think we are most likely to see a bit of selective ground allocations, based on the hockeys impact to the gate. I’d imagine the clubs with the biggest hockey following will be allocated to Wyche, with the others heading up to Nully (and hockey still @ Wyche?)

Wedderburn for example, one of the lesser participated hockey clubs of recent times, will quickly get flagged to be a Nully round.
I rate this highly. Never actually thought about it like this. The only thing is that people are less likely to play hockey if it’s not at the same spot

One thing to consider hockey-wise is that no other league in the region conducts a hockey competition, which will be to their detriment.

When change inevitably comes, it will mean that NCFL clubs will go into other leagues or other clubs will come into the NCFL. Either way, hockey will become diluted as clubs from other leagues are not going to start a hockey team up from scratch just to join the NCFL, nor will other leagues start hockey competitions to cater for current NCFL clubs.

Some clubs in the region are struggling as it is without having to find players to fill hockey teams as well so I get the feeling that hockey will suffer a gradual decline in fortunes purely due to the change that sport will undergo in the next few years. The only way around it would be if Golden Rivers and Loddon Valley merged into the NCFL. In that scenario, you'd be able to maintain a hockey competition but you wouldn't be getting in any more hockey teams though.

Last edited:
One thing to consider hockey-wise is that no other league in the region conducts a hockey competition, which will be to their detriment.

When change inevitably comes, it will mean that NCFL clubs will go into other leagues or other clubs will come into the NCFL. Either way, hockey will become diluted as clubs from other leagues are not going to start a hockey team up from scratch just to join the NCFL, nor will other leagues start hockey competitions to cater for current NCFL clubs.

Some clubs in the region are struggling as it is without having to find players to fill hockey teams as well so I get the feeling that hockey will suffer a gradual decline in fortunes purely due to the change that sport will undergo in the next few years. The only way around it would be if Golden Rivers and Loddon Valley merged into the NCFL. In that scenario, you'd be able to maintain a hockey competition but you wouldn't be getting in any more hockey teams though.
Entirely correct

doesn’t always works like that, there will be big supporters of both entities that don’t have the passion for the merged entity, that they did for the individual.

Quality local footy players from both clubs can’t all fit into the senior team either or recruits I guess. Unless happy playing reserves could see a few leave

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Quality local footy players from both clubs can’t all fit into the senior team either or recruits I guess. Unless happy playing reserves could see a few leave

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If only there was enough local players to make your seniors side competitive.
I think the big win would be to have a full U14 and U17 teams
Fill the 2’s side with only locals. Currently every team begs, borrows and steals just to get 18 blokes.

Give your good kids opportunity, have 10-15 good locals and top up with 8 guns!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back