Toast Ned Guy and the List Management Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it?

I'll ask again - what specific injuries are caused by a harder training surface, and why?
OK I will play.

Hard surfaces cause bad knees and possibly bad hamstrings.

I personally know playing on a hard surface was tougher than a softer surface.

Rubbish! Look at Kelly. He is out of contract. In 99.9% of other industries he could take his skills to anyone he chooses.

But in the AFL he is restricted and must rely on his current club to do a deal with his chosen suitor. Otherwise it is back to the slave market that is the draft.

He is in the top echelon of his profession and is treated like a child.
Well then you are happy with the situation as is your right.

You will notice I am not calling your OPINION 'rubbish'??

It's called respect sunshine maybe you may have heard of it sometime or other?

Is it?

I'll ask again - what specific injuries are caused by a harder training surface, and why?

Fair enough.

Plenty of people run very long distances on asphalt without ever getting soft tissue injuries (I’m one of them)

Not suggesting that’s an argument against the oval being causal.

More suggesting that it’s far from obvious to us armchair experts that it is causal.

And guess you know.

You have no concrete facts

Therefore

You are GUESSING.

And you know this how exactly? One thing I’m not guessing on is my footy knowledge being infinitely superior to yours so I’ll leave it up to others decide on and you to your delusions 👍

Hard surfaces cause bad knees and possibly bad hamstrings.

I personally know playing on a hard surface was tougher than a softer surface.

I'm not aware of any specific medical diagnosis of "bad knees", but you are slowly getting there. It is entirely possible that a firmer training surface results in a higher probability for developing patellar tendon issues.

How many Collingwood players have developed patellar tendon issues vs those players who train on softer surfaces?

Hamstring strains? The only way a firmer surface may play a causal factor in such an injury is through possible fatigue, however, that is a matter of load and conditioning, not surface-specific.

So, therefore, I believe we can safely say that the training surface is not a factor.

Plenty of people run very long distances on asphalt without ever getting soft tissue injuries (I’m one of them)

You and I are the exact reason why so much musculoskeletal research is pointless.

You, you lucky man, have not suffered a soft tissue injury from running on asphalt.

I suffered many, before gradually changing training surface, and have not suffered one since.

I do find it quite strange that people are only too willing to pillory journalists as unscrupulous morons, yet are perfectly happy to have one as President of the Collingwood football club.

It's not as if Eddie was even an editor, which might make it acceptable.

The comes a time when it causes more damage than good.

Hawthorn have been very successful over a long period of time because that is their strength/system.

Aping them without the components and skills in place is a sure recipe to become second rate.

The best teams are those that realize and develop their OWN strength to surpass the opposition strengths.

Being the best possible Collingwood is much more preferable than being a second rate Hawthorn.

So it’s an administration issue?

Took you awhile to work that one out.

By the way what's crazy - the prospects of trading Pendlebury (by the way there is nil chance) or getting 2 1st rounders? You see, in my humble opinion, the nucleus of our next flag side is already there - DeGoey, Grundy, Moore, Stephenson. This is the time to be creative and imaginative and build a future list around this nucleus. Just wonderin how creative the club would be in its endevours. Considering trading Treloar, nothing personal there, is a positive IMO towards this goal.
less than 60 seconds (posting times)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good post (as usual) lenny20

Have been super critical of the Beams trade but if you take a step back and look at the other positives, they've done a great job.

Still don't see why they brought in Beams though on 4yrs.

What are we toasting him for? For re signing a heap of exisiting players? Do something noteworthy before we heap praise, the only gamble he’s taken so far was Beams. Which we over paid for and looks to be one of the worst moves in recent history currently

Ummmmm, that's his job.

I do find it quite strange that people are only too willing to pillory journalists as unscrupulous morons, yet are perfectly happy to have one as President of the Collingwood football club.

It's not as if Eddie was even an editor, which might make it acceptable.

Reports good news about Collingwood -> respectable, reputable journalist with integrity

Reports bad news about Collingwood -> unscrupulous click bait moron with NFI and peddling an anti-Collingwood agenda.

Ed fits into the first category

Meat market time

Media need a story

Speculative shot at Collingwood

You and a number of others happy to take the bait and run with it

The dog and drool bit refers the the famous 'Pavlov's dog' experiment.

Look it up.

Pavlov what? Whose dog?

Sorry again pardon my ignorance. I guess I'm just one of those mainstream Pies supporter who not only believes what I read in the media but moreso fully believes/embraces what comes out of the footy cub. Yes I guess I need to get smarter here. Clearly the media hates the Pies and therefore anything written must be taken with a grain of salt. Thanks for the tip mate. Got it now.

What are we toasting him for? For re signing a heap of exisiting players? Do something noteworthy before we heap praise, the only gamble he’s taken so far was Beams. Which we over paid for and looks to be one of the worst moves in recent history currently

He's copped some flack for the Beams move, but our first two picks from 2018 were always going to get sucked up by Quaynor and Kelly - and we got them both any (juuuuust) via some maneuvering of later picks in the same deal.

So in reality, we've spent this year's pick 16 (which will blow out a few picks after father/son and academy selections) to bring in Beams, and he's taken a significant pay cut to join the club - he's reportedly on less than the $500k he was set to earn in his last two seasons at Brisbane, with the trade off being a longer deal.

I don't think it's a brilliant deal by any means - his first season was a complete write-off due to his hip injury and mental health issues.

But I don't think it's the disaster many make it out to be, either. People hear the phrase "two first-round draft picks" and get angry. The way it's played out, his cost will be a pick in the high teens, or maybe even low twenties.

The comes a time when it causes more damage than good.

Hawthorn have been very successful over a long period of time because that is their strength/system.

Aping them without the components and skills in place is a sure recipe to become second rate.

The best teams are those that realize and develop their OWN strength to surpass the opposition strengths.

Being the best possible Collingwood is much more preferable than being a second rate Hawthorn.

Man you are right again.

Why would one even entertain becoming somewhat like Hawthorn notwithstanding your above comment - "Hawthorn have been very successful over a long period of time because that is their strength/system."

Yes it makes no sense to copy/imitate a club whose long term success is due to their strength/system. Who in their right mind would wan't to replicate a successful system. And even if the club dared consider it, you are right, the club would likely become a second rate Hawthorn as they would inevitably f--k it up.

Ummmmm, that's his job.
His job is to make our list better, which he hasn’t done as yet. The fact he can keep highly skilled, highly paid players at one of the most appealing clubs in the country commercially that played in a grand final and pre lim the last two years isn’t something to heap praise about.

I’m not saying he’s doing a bad job I just think we need to pump the breaks a little. He’s done things any list manager in the league would be able to do in regards to that original post.

Just quickly I was talking about hawks at trade period.

Not sure what the crows camp have to do with this.

It is about actions that split the esprit de corps of the playing group. Trying to flog off your contracted players to other teams may f*** with your team cohesion just as much as some dodgy camp and blow the place up for a number of years. Particularly if players perceive a double standard.

His job is to make our list better, which he hasn’t done as yet. The fact he can keep highly skilled, highly paid players at one of the most appealing clubs in the country commercially that played in a grand final and pre lim the last two years isn’t something to heap praise about.

I’m not saying he’s doing a bad job I just think we need to pump the breaks a little. He’s done things any list manager in the league would be able to do in regards to that original post.

So re-signing a heap of wanted players, and reportedly for unders in several cases, doesn't make us better than losing them? Extending players on longer for less to free up cash to enable additional players to be brought in doesn't make us better? Interesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back