Discussion New $5 Note Design

Do you like the new 5 dollar note?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't really think they wanted new faces on the notes, so it's basically the old one with a clear strip down the middle to make it harder to fake.

Honestly wish we had different things, especially if we go republic since that'll mean we'll probably have to change it again.

At work tonight some pensioner used a $5 note so old that I nearly called it out as a fake. It had a different number font and was really washed out.

FWIW Billy ray and Dylan, there's been talk previously about making a $5 coin to replace the note. Argument being coins are more durable.

At work tonight some pensioner used a $5 note so old that I nearly called it out as a fake. It had a different number font and was really washed out.
The very first lot of polymer $5 notes were crap and wore out really quick. I remember handing one over at a counter and when they grabbed it it just ripped in half, also a couple of kids at school rubbing the queen's face off it against a brick wall.

FWIW Billy ray and Dylan, there's been talk previously about making a $5 coin to replace the note. Argument being coins are more durable.
Early batch of polymer 5 dollar notes were also a less vibrant colour. People complained they couldn't pick it apart from a 10 dollar in low light (which at the time was an orange colour from what I've researched).

or6ul4U.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I quite like the design but if it has cost the government millions, I would rather the government spend this money on health or education.

I have 4 of those. Looked like this:
Five5-Dollars-1992-1996-Australia-Polymer-Plastic-1020x1024.jpg

I did know it was see through, but now I've seen it without the blue background, I like it a lot more. Why didn't they publish the example with the transparent background checkers? I reckon the reaction would have been a lot better.
The original image made it obvious that the blue was the table it was placed on, however a lot of media outlets have cropped it and made it look like the blue was part of the design, increasing the outrage.

The original image made it obvious that the blue was the table it was placed on, however a lot of media outlets have cropped it and made it look like the blue was part of the design, increasing the outrage.
Yeah even when it was shown fully and it was clear that it was clear, it darkened the whole thing, so it looked s**t. Now I've seen it in the flesh, I like it more, and so will most people I reckon.

Back