Opinion New AFC HQ: Stalled Indefinitely

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The Adelaide Oval redevelopment is one of the best things that's happened to our city.

And if it had been left up to the Adelaide Shitty Council it wouldn't have been allowed.

Even during construction the council lodged a complaint that the mounds of dirt were unsightly and couldn't the dirt be stored off-site?

The Adelaide Oval redevelopment is one of the best things that's happened to our city.

And if it had been left up to the Adelaide Shitty Council it wouldn't have been allowed.

Even during construction the council lodged a complaint that the mounds of dirt were unsightly and couldn't the dirt be stored off-site?
Nup the sky city building was the best. Have you seen the new ground floor pokies extension? Beautiful. Full of life.

The location of Thebarton is nothing like the location of West Lakes

I agree, West Lakes is more accessible and not located next to a soon to be 100km/h highway.

Let's not kid ourselves, Thebarton Oval is in a horrible location.

I agree, West Lakes is more accessible and not located next to a soon to be 100km/h highway.

Thebarton is 2.5kms from Adelaide Oval.

West Lakes is 14kms away. And right in the Port Power end of town, only 5km from Alberton Oval.

* that.

Wrong on so many levels.

Hmm, wrong on so many levels? Do you work for the Adelaide City Council?

1. Volleyball SA are looking for a new home in the parklands for their beach volleyball setup, apparently the Adelaide City Council are bending over backwards trying to help them. Fact

2. Maybe footy is a bit low brow for the parklands numpties? Opinion maybe wrong, maybe right.

3. There are netball clubs, soccer clubs, hockey clubs, Veteran tennis clubs, archery clubs, pony clubs, swimming clubs, dog obedience clubs, cricket clubs, golf clubs etc but NO WAY can we have a not for profit footy club!! Fact, these clubs are already located in the parklands.

4. Mind you a beach volley ball court in most areas of the parklands wouldn't raise an eyebrow as most parts are a dilapidated dustbowl. Opinion vast areas instead of most parts are a dilapidated dustbowl.

I don't like Thebarton idea, but its hardly a horrible location, its relatively central with easy access.

That being said, I don't think it is ideal.

Buy the. Caledonian Hotel in Nth Adel, bulldoze it, build a multi-storey admin there, develop a training oval across the road adjacent to the swimming centre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This idea has real merit and should at least be explored.
The building is directly across from the two ovals that would be redeveloped.
Karen Rolton oval and Park 12 have already set a precedence that a sporting club can use the parklands as a training venue as long as no administrative headquarters are included in the set up.

It looks to me that the Crows desired a site for their redevelopment that had no land acquisition costs with the parklands being an ideal option.
This has been taken off the table, but acquiring a commercial site directly opposite the ovals does seem a viable alternative.
Yes the site has to be purchased and this involves a major expense but very few businesses I know of have the luxury of obtaining a city site for free.

If we are serious about being based in the city this is the price we may have to pay.
This a long term commitment and the financing would reflect that.
A multi-storey complex with admin, gyms, cafe and large function/training area could all be included.

If a future extension of the tram line is undertaken then this location becomes very accessible.

I'm not sure how big the site footprint needs to be to make this a viable option but surely a development along these lines should at least be considered and not dismissed out of hand.
A feasibility study would determine if this was an option.

Knowing how we've operated in the past the cynic in me feels that Thebarton oval may have already been selected and a lot of the noise around the other plans has been theatre to sell the inevitable outcome.
Why are we in such a rush?
I hope we are looking at every alternative because we won't get another chance.

Blight was crapping on the other day on 5AA about how our search for a new base, and because we've had a review, are reasons why we are now bottom. Was really angry about it. Seems to think we should just focus on the footy. The guy is so out of touch, or best mates with Chappy. Clearly can't see that the problems identified by the review are the reason we are bottom, and that members and players require better facilities

Blight was crapping on the other day on 5AA about how our search for a new base, and because we've had a review, are reasons why we are now bottom. Was really angry about it. Seems to think we should just focus on the footy. The guy is so out of touch, or best mates with Chappy. Clearly can't see that the problems identified by the review are the reason we are bottom, and that members and players require better facilities
There's an element of truth there though. Anytime the club goes poorly:

need a home base for supporters to go back to... need to change the song... need to change the logo... our reserves should play in a different competition... our away guernsey sucks etc

The Redbacks equivalent is: There are too many teams in the grade competition

Everything except playing better.

With the benefit of hindsight, a city base for the Crows should have been a part of the Adelaide Oval redevelopment project. That way it could have been included under the 'AO Major Project' and the redevelopment value of West Lakes and Crows' existing HQ could have been maximised to help fund the transition. Unfortunately, back then the Crows hierarchy couldn't see past their shiny new facilities at West Lakes that they didn't want to lose.

As suggested by others, this could have included a deal with Adel Uni to upgrade Bob Neil No.1 (Uni Oval) with new buildings for training/gym/admin and importantly an elite sports science stream under the University (or UniSA) to provide some public good. Perhaps a bit like SACA got for cricket at Karen Roulton Oval as part of losing AO No. 2.

Now it seems that the Crows need to choose between:
(1) a heavily compromised arrangement in the CBD (split admin/training/gym facilities), all hindered by the complete F...ers at the ACC
(2) a compromised/complicated arrangement with the SANFL at Thebby, close to town but not walking distance from AO
(3) a greenfields suburban site with a supportive Local Government where the Crows can build whatever they want including a social club. However, this is likely to be a long drive to AO and not centrally located for Adelaide's broad fan base.

importantly both admin and social club want to overlook the playing/training arena.

We want an equivalent of Collingwood's training facility at Olympic Park, we're uncertain about getting something like North Melbourne's Arden Street facilities at Thebby, and we haven't yet considered something like Hawthorn's new Dingley Facility at West Beach, Adelaide Airport, Colonel Light Gardens, Noarlunga, Gepps X, St Marys or wherever.

The marketing arm should be pushing hard for (1) for the Crows to be seen as the team for all Adelaideans, but should the footy department be pushing even harder for (3) with exclusive access to the very best facilities? Perhaps they should just stay at West Lakes?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's an element of truth there though. Anytime the club goes poorly:

need a home base for supporters to go back to... need to change the song... need to change the logo... our reserves should play in a different competition... our away guernsey sucks etc

The Redbacks equivalent is: There are too many teams in the grade competition

Everything except playing better.
Except the Redback example might actually help them be better

It might have helped them when we last won the Shield too but no one mentioned it then
Very true.

Most of the cricket followers here have been banging on for years and years about it.

Plus I was 8 when we last won it, I'd barely played proper cricket !!

Hmm, wrong on so many levels? Do you work for the Adelaide City Council?

1. Volleyball SA are looking for a new home in the parklands for their beach volleyball setup, apparently the Adelaide City Council are bending over backwards trying to help them. Fact

2. Maybe footy is a bit low brow for the parklands numpties? Opinion maybe wrong, maybe right.

3. There are netball clubs, soccer clubs, hockey clubs, Veteran tennis clubs, archery clubs, pony clubs, swimming clubs, dog obedience clubs, cricket clubs, golf clubs etc but NO WAY can we have a not for profit footy club!! Fact, these clubs are already located in the parklands.

4. Mind you a beach volley ball court in most areas of the parklands wouldn't raise an eyebrow as most parts are a dilapidated dustbowl. Opinion vast areas instead of most parts are a dilapidated dustbowl.

1. The city council are planning to boot volleyball SA out of their current location against their will. Too right they should help them find a suitable and central location. They're not 'bending over backwards' if you speak to people from VSA. They are yet to even propose an alternative site. Then comes the hardest part where they will require funding to build new courts.

4. Disagree on the parkland. The majority is in good shape and useful. Some isn't used much and may not look pleasing, but still provides environmental benefits. Some areas also aren't great. It's a lot of area to upkeep and I think if you actually explore it in its entirety, you can see how it's surprisingly utilised. I always thought the Southern parklands was no good until I actually started riding through there and exploring it.

I can't remember the name of the study but there was an investigation into how public money is spent on sport and the impact it has.

What it found was that the high participation sports (football, netball) were grossly under-funded. Those sports have huge impact on people young and old whether you are a player, spectator, volunteer. Those sports have a significant impact on people's health and well being and play a huge part in the social fabric in schools, country towns, communities.

However... because football is seen as a Big Sport and netball as a Big Participation Sport it is felt that those sports can fund themselves. They don't need public support.

Canoe polo or whatever bullshit Olympic Sport you can come up with were grossly over-funded compared with the number of people participating and the wider impact that money has on the community.

My opinion of the very best outcome for all reasonable parties would be a Parklands Major Project that substantially upgrades a significantly degraded and/or under-utilised area of the Adelaide parklands, in particular the aquatic centre. It would would also includes a social club on-site to be operated under conditions commensurate with its sensitive location.

As a trade off for additional building on the parklands, the club would have to provide significant benefits to nearby residents and visitors, which would include some use of the facilities such as the pool, landscaping & watering of the wider area, children's play areas, pathways & picnic areas and a kiosk.

Unfortunately it will never happen under current governance arrangements in conservative Adelaide. In 20 yrs time the majority of the Parklands will be just as drab as they are today.

I can't remember the name of the study but there was an investigation into how public money is spent on sport and the impact it has.

What it found was that the high participation sports (football, netball) were grossly under-funded. Those sports have huge impact on people young and old whether you are a player, spectator, volunteer. Those sports have a significant impact on people's health and well being and play a huge part in the social fabric in schools, country towns, communities.

However... because football is seen as a Big Sport and netball as a Big Participation Sport it is felt that those sports can fund themselves. They don't need public support.

Canoe polo or whatever bullshit Olympic Sport you can come up with were grossly over-funded compared with the number of people participating and the wider impact that money has on the community.
Crawford Report I think.

With the benefit of hindsight, a city base for the Crows should have been a part of the Adelaide Oval redevelopment project. That way it could have been included under the 'AO Major Project' and the redevelopment value of West Lakes and Crows' existing HQ could have been maximised to help fund the transition. Unfortunately, back then the Crows hierarchy couldn't see past their shiny new facilities at West Lakes that they didn't want to lose.
I think you've hit the nail on the head here.

Can the Adelaide Oval redevelopment morph into a Sporting Hub redevelopment of the area? Redevelop that whole area - Adelaide Oval No 2, the tennis courts, part of the golf course, the Uni No 1 and No 2 ovals

Incorporating the whole lot

A soccer stadium - get rid of Hindmarsh
Basketball stadium - get rid of Apollo Stadium or wherever we are now
Redevelop Memorial Drive
A relocated indoor swimming facility - get rid of the Aquatic Centre
Training facilities for Adelaide Crows and Adelaide United

Mixed in with community facilities.

While we're at it run the Montefiore Hill Road underneath the lot of it.

My opinion of the very best outcome for all reasonable parties would be a Parklands Major Project that substantially upgrades a significantly degraded and/or under-utilised area of the Adelaide parklands, in particular the aquatic centre. It would would also includes a social club on-site to be operated under conditions commensurate with its sensitive location.

As a trade off for additional building on the parklands, the club would have to provide significant benefits to nearby residents and visitors, which would include some use of the facilities such as the pool, landscaping & watering of the wider area, children's play areas, pathways & picnic areas and a kiosk.

Unfortunately it will never happen under current governance arrangements in conservative Adelaide. In 20 yrs time the majority of the Parklands will be just as drab as they are today.
What you are describing is essntially what we proposed last year, but:
- the building was smaller than the current building, car parking also had a smaller footprint (some was moved underground)
- public access to the oval was any time the crows weren't using it (about 8 hours per week), and at all times for the pool
Truly baffling why nobody on Council or even APLA wanted it. There is no negatives from a council, social, community, environmental or sporting perspective.

Hey, I take offense at you belittling my canoe polo team, I play centre back prop and have to paddle really fast at times.

I've heard Blight completely contradict himself so I am not sure whether he's being fed an agenda by the club or just forgets what he's said before.

A few months ago he was talking up the Crows Shed and was saying how important it was back in his time at the club to have that connection with the members.

Fast forward a few weeks and he completely flipped and was arguing that having a social facility is not really worthwhile and the club shouldn't be too concerned about it.

Back