Opinion New AFC HQ: Stalled Indefinitely

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That would be pretty squeezy

This is with Karen Rolton overlaid, which is a pretty small oval

View attachment 1100060

That's the former SA Water site which has been mentioned previously, so it's not some new scoop from Rowey. It's also officially part of Park 25, and current policy is for areas of Parkland being occupied by the state government or the crown to be returned to Parklands when no longer required - hence it was returned to the Parklands in 2012 as nicely landscaped area with walking and cycle paths, light woods, and a picnic and activities area, and again requires approval from the ACC to bulldoze over.

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that particular plan would have only the HQ building being built on that side of the track, with a bridge over the railway to share the SACA practice fields west of Karen Rolton.

I also think it's less likely than the Aquatic Centre at this stage.

Last edited:
That's the former SA Water site which has been mentioned previously, so it's not some new scoop from Rowey. It's also officially part of Park 25, and current policy is for areas of Parkland being occupied by the state government or the crown to be returned to Parklands when no longer required - hence it was returned to the Parklands in 2012 as nicely landscaped area with walking and cycle paths, light woods, and a picnic and activities area, and again requires approval from the ACC to bulldoze over.

If I were to hazard a guess, I would say that particular plan would have only the HQ building being built on that side of the track, with a bridge over the railway to share the SACA practice fields west of Karen Rolton.

I also think it's less likely than the Aquatic Centre at this stage.
I doubt it, they've been leased to Old Ignatians for the next 7 years. Iggies Women's team in particular use them as they're not allowed to play on KRO more than twice a year.

It's parklands, and a well landscaped and patronised section at that, keep looking

Agreed, this fascination of having our HQ in the parklands is weird.

Our HQ must meet all our training requirements (obviously) plus able to host our reserves and womens games.

Being walking distance (aquatic centre is not walking distance) to AO adds absolutely nothing for our teams, its just a fanciful notion that supporters can walk back to the HQ after a game at AO.

Unless it right next door to AO (say the tennis courts) it would be a waste of time.

What if we build an oval on stilts so it overhangs port road a bit?

Or a tunnel oval. Not enough love for tunnel ovals.
If the oval has a really big slope we can make it bigger too, Pythagoras and all

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's parklands, and a well landscaped and patronised section at that, keep looking
I ride pass it frequently and well patronized it is not. Has a table in one corner and no playground equipment.
An art structure stands nearby but rarely visited.
Lucky to see a person on the existing grassed area, only users are walkers and bike riders travelling through.

Last edited:
if we are so desperate to go parkland, why are we looking along Greenhill Rd toward Anzac Highway?

Plenty of horrible unkempt and unused parkland and many many many empty for lease and for sale commercial properties ripe for knocking over.

also right next to a tram line.

They did try that option. Using the area around the Adelaide Lutheran Oval with a foot bridge over Greenhill road or South Terrace to office space. Which one was dependent on securing the right property.

Again the problem is we want more than just changerooms near the oval. Ideally the guys doing recovery and in the gym are in the close vacinity not over the road.

Last edited:
From the Rooch so take with a packet of salt ..."West Torrens Council knows their plan for Thebarton Oval is delicately placed. They are eager to close a deal with the Adelaide Football Club at Thebarton Oval amid speculation the Crows are negotiating to build their headquarters on the old Coca-Cola site at Port Road, Thebarton with a developer offering a footbridge to two training grounds (with no infrastructure) on the adjacent parklands. The other undisclosed (rather than “mystery”) park lands site is said to be the Lutheran Sports Club grounds on the corner of South and West terraces, where the Adelaide City Council will not approve major construction projects for a commercial enterprise such as an AFL club." https://indaily.com.au/sport/football/2021/04/23/crows-and-port-push-for-suburban-homes-hearts-and-minds/

I ride pass it frequently and well patronized it is not. Has a table in one corner and no playground equipment.
An art structure stands nearby but rarely visited.
Lucky to see a person on the existing grassed area, only users are walkers and bike riders travelling through.
I’d agree with this, I walk my dog through there quite often and rarely see anyone

It would seem as if rabbit is on the parklands preservation society.
I’m happy for people to protect parklands and green spaces, or to demand more suburban green spaces and better development guidelines, a mix of greedy developers and politicians isn’t good for anyone.
I actually think this area has been done pretty well it’s just in a bit of a nothing location wedged in between two arterial roads.

Back