Opinion New AFC HQ: Stalled Indefinitely

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It still needs major structural repairs, this is probably a huge win for the North Adelaide council because it gets the facility off their books, but still remains open for people to use the land.

Yeah they're getting rid of a costly anchor, and get to keep the area open to residents and the public while getting the tenant to pay for all the upgrades, and all it costs them is a long term lease, pretty big win for the council.

I imagine so. All the concrete of the pools and stands is cracking. It was built in 1969 originally it's hella old.

Yeah there's a reason they built a brand new facility at Oaklands Park that replaced Adelaide on the competition circuit, when a lot of people were calling for the opposite.

If that Advertiser report is correct, $60 million would put us in line with the facilities that Hawthorn/Fremantle built recently. That said, I do wonder if we've sacrificed some quality in this regard to be close to the city/offering a public space (seeing I doubt we can close down the aquatic center, yet).

Can't say I'm too excited (because all of that "for the supporters" comments is just as much bullshit as Port will make a profit off China), but i'm willing to see how this plays out.

If that Advertiser report is correct, $60 million would put us in line with the facilities that Hawthorn/Fremantle built recently. That said, I do wonder if we've sacrificed some quality in this regard to be close to the city/offering a public space (seeing I doubt we can close down the aquatic center, yet).

Can't say I'm too excited (because all of that "for the supporters" comments is just as much bullshit as Port will make a profit off China), but i'm willing to see how this plays out.
Similar. Grumpy Old Man Syndrome but I shall bide my time and then rant about me not bothering to visit as its too far away and on the opposite side of the city for my commute home

/westernsuburbies

From memory the Freo/Cockburn community facility cost over $100m

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are there any plans to extend the tram line up O'Connell Street?

The next stage of the tram network extension goes up there, federal funding was committed for that by the Turnbull government, and that's where it's staying despite Marshall and Lucas spending 6 months trying to find a way to divert the money elsewhere. It's all the other proposed tram extensions that have been put on indefinite hold.

Being at Woodville now, that's just a quick 15 minute drive up Torrens Rd for me.

Advertiser says it's going to be a $60m facility, the federal government are also kicking in $6m to for the SANFL's planned $12m upgrade to Thebarton Oval (I'm assuming that's for AFLW matches). They said it'll take at least until the end of the year to secure all the funding for this though.

Interesting, I would have thought there might have been a push for part of our facility to be a ~10-15k capacity oval which could be used for AFLW, SANFL Crows, state U18’s/16’s +/- other exhibition SANFL/SAAFL games. Essentially taking over the role that Thebby takes on to an extent.

The next stage of the tram network extension goes up there, federal funding was committed for that by the Turnbull government, and that's where it's staying despite Marshall and Lucas spending 6 months trying to find a way to divert the money elsewhere. It's all the other proposed tram extensions that have been put on indefinite hold.
I hope you have a really good family/friendship group.

If the Libs get up in the Federal election, I'm worried you are going to lose it.

Interesting, I would have thought there might have been a push for part of our facility to be a ~10-15k capacity oval which could be used for AFLW, SANFL Crows, state U18’s/16’s +/- other exhibition SANFL/SAAFL games. Essentially taking over the role that Thebby takes on to an extent.
If the SANFL own Thebarton Oval they won't want to lose any potential money coming their way through AFLW getting bigger.

We won't ever be allowed to have a home base for SANFL games either, part of the deal we signed was based on the SANFL club getting an extra home game.

Is the Thebby deal anything to do with us or more to do with the SANFL replacing what they had at Footy Park for State U16s/U18s, Umpires, etc?

Also if we want reserves home games we're probably waiting for the AFL Reserves League, whenever that comes around.

Good news if it means us plebs actually get a place to go after a win. Think in 60 mil they might be able to fit us in somewhere.
Great, but you'd think that means AAMI is as good as trashed.

Good news if it means us plebs actually get a place to go after a win. Think in 60 mil they might be able to fit us in somewhere.
Great, but you'd think that means AAMI is as good as trashed.

We'll be bought out of our Football Park lease and the building will become NextGen West Lakes or somesuch, and the remaining oval will be sold and developed

CEO statement on the Crows building a new state-of-the-art facility
http://m.afc.com.au/news/2019-03-30/ceo-statement.mobileapp

Looks like I’m a bit late to the party here.
We need $45M more to make it happen to.
Those schnitzels ain’t gunna be cheap at the restaurant.
I’ll be curious to see what this place will have for the community.

Last edited:
You own a property in the Adelaide Council knowing it is a state capital city. Which I assume is part of the appeal?
Wouldn't making Adelaide a more loveable city increase the value of your property? And thus increase your personal wealth?

I do agree State funding should be increased as well though.

End of the day I just think it is an eyesore and a massive waste to have large tracts of land empty, not used nor looked after. I personally dont mind the area that horses sit on. At least it is being used and I tend to think quite cool.we can do that. It is the land that sits unused and not maintained I take issue with.

Our City was planned well. But we are wasting it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Wasn’t it the same rationale used by the British when they found this barren unpopulated and unused/developed chunk of land we now call Australia. Hey if youse guys aren’t using it we’ll have it.

Wasn’t it the same rationale used by the British when they found this barren unpopulated and unused/developed chunk of land we now call Australia. Hey if youse guys aren’t using it we’ll have it.
Sort of.

The ACC don't want this bit of land and haven't for years.

Good move by the club, we worked all our debt down for this very reason.

We'll be bought out of our Football Park lease and the building will become NextGen West Lakes or somesuch, and the remaining oval will be sold and developed

Nah I am pretty sure the oval will stay for community use because friends of mine were originally looking at buying in there and the oval being available for recreational use was apparently a big selling point.

I also recall reading somewhere that the oval itself is already under the control of the council.

Last edited:
It's happening

"Crows Chief Executive Officer Andrew Fagan issued the following statement in regards to the Federal Government committing $15m towards the Club building a new state-of-the-art facility, which will also provide the foundation for expanded Indigenous programs and enhanced women’s football initiatives, among many other community benefits.

“The Federal Government’s commitment is a significant step forward and provides greater certainty that we can deliver a facility which will both provide benefit and solve problems for multiple stakeholders.

“Given the issues we face at West Lakes, it provides the Club with the ability to establish a state-of-the-art training and administration headquarters in close proximity to Adelaide Oval.

The facility would replace the ageing aquatic centre in North Adelaide with new fit for purpose facilities for the community, while helping to regenerate the O’Connell Street retail precinct and importantly, allow for the enhanced delivery of significant community initiatives.

“It will strengthen a series of female-focused programs, particularly those aimed at increasing opportunities for young girls and women to pursue careers as administrators and coaches, and deliver dedicated facilities for our AFLW team. This will capitalise on the enormous growth in women’s football across South Australia.

“The masterplan when developed will also include dedicated resources to deliver a range of programs focused on improving opportunities for Indigenous youth across the pillars of education, employment, health and lifestyle.

“In recent weeks, we have spoken to the City of Adelaide about commencing the masterplan process and we will work closely with the Council and all other relevant community stakeholders while we complete this work during 2019.

“We are only in the very early stages and there is a great deal to work through in terms of planning and sourcing further funding, but this is an incredibly important step, and we appreciate the support of the Federal Government.”

https://www.afc.com.au/news/2019-03-30/ceo-statement

Just a hop, skip and jump from my 140m2 of 1860s bliss. We bought there because the bulldogs enjoyed walking in the parklands more than along the beach. Now my footy club is moving there as well. Everything is coming up 1970crow.

Back