New AFL Video Game - Wii - Q&A Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just want to confirm is WAFL in the game or just VFL and if so where are the WAFL and other non VFL and non AFL games likely to be played?

A few questions.

Which controller do you find best to use? Do the team all have different preferences or is one type of controller favoured?

Are there injuries? (may have been asked)

What kind of features are you most proud of in the game?

What was the hardest part about replicating aussie rules?

I love how Wicked Witch give us these huge clumps of Info, it saves me sorting through all the posts.

I love how Wicked Witch give us these huge clumps of Info, it saves me sorting through all the posts.

Keep asking those questions guys. More you ask the more they can answer. I'm very appreciative that both Wicked Witch and BigAnt are taking the time to talk to their user base.

I'm very appreciative that both Wicked Witch and BigAnt are taking the time to talk to their user base.

Definitely, the time they've taken (especially Ross) out of their days to voluntarily give us what they have is huge. Just goes to show that the passion they preach about is for real.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the new questions.

As mentioned in the last post, we have no control over when the game gets released. There are several factors involved with this, so if EB are stating release dates then I am sure it will be very close to that date.

There are 5 difficulty levels in the game. It ranges from very easy (so that users can familiarise with the controls and game nuances) to incredibly difficult (that will challenge even the most experienced gamer). I think you will find the hardest setting to be very tricky to master.

The default camera setting is from behind, in a third person point of view. However the camera can be changed to the side and both have 3 distances. There is also a television style camera available.

GWS are available in the game for quick matches but are not available for any career or competitions so you will be unable to use them in the NAB Cup. GWS guernseys are in the game but the player names were required to be unofficial names.

Unfortunately we were not allowed to implement the WAFL, even though we would have liked to.

Control wise I personally like playing with the Wiimote and Nunchuck. It's probably a 50/50 split in the studio as to everyone's preference, but in order to get those fun multiplayer party moments, I believe the Wiimote and Nunchuck is the way to go. There is nothing like being able to gloat in your mates face after curling in an impossible goal from the boundary line or winning the frantic 'mini contest' moments when breaking tackles and taking speckies. The Wiimote and Nunchuck also work well in the mini games. If you are playing by yourself then using the GameCube controller is equally suitable and can provide a more relaxed environment to appreciate and immerse yourself in the game. It definitely comes down to personal choice, I see it as party controls compared to a traditional gaming control. Using the Wiimote on its own, while it's simplified for novice gamers, loses out on some of the nuances of the game controls.

Yes there are injuries and you can decide on a method of treatment in Career Mode.

There are a few things that make replicating Aussie Rules quite a challenge. The 3 dimensional nature of the sport and fluidity make it harder to translate to a video game. Sports like League, Union and NFL are easier in that players are really only making their way up and down a field. The stop start nature helps also, and it's easier to flip the camera around when it's time to head in the other direction. Soccer is similar also where the only method of passing is kicking the ball.

AFL on the other hand is more complicated in general. Ever tried explaining the rules to someone? ;) In general, most sports take far less time to explain than explaining AFL to someone for the first time. Sure the offside rule in Soccer can take some time to understand, however there is just so much going on in AFL! So deciding on the complexity of an AFL game is the first step. First there are kicks, tackles, marks and handballs but then you need to think about whether you’re going to have different varieties of kicks, do you allow the player to bounce, throw out a don't argue, side step? Marking is a key feature in AFL. In a soccer game you aren't required to press anything to receive the ball but would that feel right marking the ball in AFL without doing anything? Our feedback showed that no one really wanted to do a speckie without any input, and we agreed it felt there was less reward in that. So combining all the elements that a player can do in AFL was somewhat tricky, and all the moves can happen in a single moment as there are less stoppages in the game. So when you consider that in the AFL you have kicks, handballs, evades, hip & shoulders, tackles, smothers, spoils, marks and speckies all happening at once, it becomes more challenging. After you have considered these elements, the AI must also use these fundamentals in a meaningful way. For example, when does the AI break for a lead? Do they break when you have a clean possession or do they hold back and run to where you are most likely to kick the ball? Do they go up for the mark as well or do they sit front and centre and wait for the ball to hit the deck? The size of the field and the number of players used also throws out its own set of issues.

Due to all these complexities we have seen many AFL games in the past not reach the standards that have been set by other games in the sporting game genre. There has been a tendency to romanticise AFL games from the 90's however looking back, they lack a sophistication that we have come to demand from sport titles today. It was great then, maybe not so awesome now.

Another major issue is that we need to compete against titles that have a 20 year back catalogue of technology and assets, as well as a large global market. This should be considered when comparing an Australian only title with a target market that doesn't even include the entire population (when you consider NSW and QLD are rugby states) and still make the game competitive to world standards. This is something that both Wicked Witch and Big Ant are aware of and have worked very hard to ensure that these titles hold their own in today's marketplace. In the end it was essential that these titles went to developers that live in AFL dominated landscapes (both are Victorian based) as it was always going to have to be a labour of love to be competitive! However, despite these obstacles we are very happy with the final product and hope you enjoy playing it as much as we have internally. We really think that both these titles are a big step towards what the AFL gaming community have been waiting for and this is what makes me the most proud so far.

Having said that, there are some great features in the Wii version that are a blast! We have a 3-point shootout style mini game where players are to kick around the 50m arch and score as best they can. This is lots of fun with the Wiimote especially, as you battle the wind and angles to slot goals and incorporates all the great things about the Wii. There is also a Lou's handball/archery style mini game which is also an entertaining challenge. The reason I am pointing out some of our mini games as features that we are proud is that they are an addition to the core game play. The team at Wicked Witch have given up months of their own time to add these great extras, for the love of the project, just to help ensure consumers are getting value for money. This also makes me proud of the job we have done, at the risk of sounding a little corny!

That’s about it for now, feel free to keep these questions coming and I'll try to answer as best I can soon!

However, despite these obstacles we are very happy with the final product and hope you enjoy playing it as much as we have internally. We really think that both these titles are a big step towards what the AFL gaming community have been waiting for and this is what makes me the most proud so far.

So I assume it's either going through Nintendo's QA or awaiting the publisher to distribute?

If WAFL isn't in the game then what leagues do we have the option of playing and is the WAFL a possibility for next years title. Also could I create the WAFL as a league of custom teams if I wished?

If WAFL isn't in the game then what leagues do we have the option of playing and is the WAFL a possibility for next years title. Also could I create the WAFL as a league of custom teams if I wished?
I'm pretty sure there is AFL, SANFL, VFL and TAC Cup

Wii version screenies are up courtesy of HES' FB page.

Have to say, while they're very Wii like, they're a lot better than I expected. Most players are genuinely recognisable.

Lists must be old though...Tambling in the Richmond pic...

Source: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Home-Entertainment-Suppliers-Pty-Ltd/185244728178377?sk=wall
(RIGHT CLICK>VIEW IMAGES FOR BIGGER SHOTS)
18080718549468815338118.jpg

18007318549465815338418.jpg

18391118549467482004918.jpg

18086418549470482004618.jpg

18589018549474148670918.jpg

18061718549472148671118.jpg

While the graphics aren't overly great, they're still stacks better than the old AFL games ever were.

Stadiums look great, but I'm interested to know as to why the background (ie. the crowd) is blurred out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While the graphics aren't overly great, they're still stacks better than the old AFL games ever were.

Stadiums look great, but I'm interested to know as to why the background (ie. the crowd) is blurred out.
That's the field of view coming into play.

We saw this happen in the AFL Live game too when it called for it. Allows for the action to be more focused bringing the spotlight onto the players.

If you've watched replays in FIFA as well you'd see it in action there too.

TBH for a Wii game with all the features mentioned the graphics are decent. Obviously the Wii cant be as good as PS3 and Xbox 360 but these are ok. Hudson and Mcintosh look great.

The graphics are pretty average. But I will still by this game nonetheless, just to compare the two versions. Also that its feature set is amazing :)

PS: That specky animation looks great!

If u look at the wii Crowd in the Brisbane photo it looks really good, In my opinion the crowd looks better than the xbox 360/ps3 game.
edit zoomed in version.

If u look at the wii Crowd in the Brisbane photo it looks really good, In my opinion the crowd looks better than the xbox 360/ps3 game.
edit zoomed in version.
The crowd looks far better in-game, than the screenshots for the PS3/360 version. I was surprised at how much better it looks than the previous screenshots.

The graphics are pretty average. But I will still by this game nonetheless, just to compare the two versions. Also that its feature set is amazing :)

PS: That specky animation looks great!

What the hell were you expecting for a Wii game? :confused: I had a feeling this would happen, people were expecting this to be Big Ant's version just with extra features. No. It's a Wii game, but having said that I think they've done a terrific job with both the features and the game shots itself look sweet, LOVE the look of the stadiums in the background.

Will get both games.

What the hell were you expecting for a Wii game? :confused: I had a feeling this would happen, people were expecting this to be Big Ant's version just with extra features. No. It's a Wii game, but having said that I think they've done a terrific job with both the features and the game shots itself look sweet, LOVE the look of the stadiums in the background.

Will get both games.

Jesus Christ some people are sensitive! I said it was average.... I never said it was bad. I then went on to acknowledge. the feature set and the specky animation, and said I would get BOTH games. You just have to admit those graphics aren't "amazing". They are average. As simple as that, and it was the graphics I was expecting. I never said the game would be "bad". Some people are just way to sensitive.

Jesus Christ some people are sensitive! I said it was average.... I never said it was bad. I then went on to acknowledge. the feature set and the specky animation, and said I would get BOTH games. You just have to admit those graphics aren't "amazing". They are average. As simple as that, and it was the graphics I was expecting. I never said the game would be "bad". Some people are just way to sensitive.

Not sensitive at all, in fact your reply is the one full of emotion, besides my post wasn't directly at you anyway. If they were the graphics you were expecting then why make a point of saying they look 'average', which as you very much know implies disappointment. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, just seems a little fanboi-ish.

Shall stop replying here as our posts are likely to be deleted anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back