New brisbane stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Not necessarily. The Middle Eastern cities have money and the big US TV networks don't like the clash in time zones that Australia has with them. All those things count (even though they shouldn't).
August is the preferred time for hosting the olympics, and it is simply far too hot in the Middle East at that time of year; no amount of money could change that.

Brisbane probably wouldn't tip enough money back into important people's pockets to win.
I have faith in the Olympic Bidding system. It has significantly more integrity than FIFA at least (a low bar I know)

I have faith in the Olympic Bidding system. It has significantly more integrity than FIFA at least (a low bar I know)

Two out of the last three awarded Winter Olympic games went to places without snow (Sochi and Beijing). The two most recently awarded Summer Olympic games were basically awarded by default because everyone else pulled out due to the $100m+ for a mere bid, and then the multiple billions of dollars required to host the games.

Two out of the last three awarded Winter Olympic games went to places without snow (Sochi and Beijing). The two most recently awarded Summer Olympic games were basically awarded by default because everyone else pulled out due to the $100m+ for a mere bid, and then the multiple billions of dollars required to host the games.

The winter games were awarded to these cities purely due to lack of options. Beijing’s only competitor was Almaty, Kazakhstan. Yes, I’d never heard of it either. The last two summer games were awarded to Paris and Los Angeles as they were the only two bidding for 2024, as the other cities had pulled out because they couldn’t see themselves succeeding against these 2 impressive bids. I don’t see what that has to do with bribes/integrity of the bidding system.

Yes, I’d never heard of it either.

I can't help your lack of geographic knowledge. :p

The last two summer games were awarded to Paris and Los Angeles as they were the only two bidding for 2024, as the other cities had pulled out because they couldn’t see themselves succeeding against these 2 impressive bids. I don’t see what that has to do with bribes/integrity of the bidding system.

The other bidders pulled out because of lack of public support in contributing those billions of dollars into hosting the Olympics. It had nothing to do with the quality of LA or Paris.

My original comment about lining people's pockets was tongue in cheek, but the fact is that city after city is opting not to bid for the Olympics for the reason I outlined - costs of $100m+ for a bid, and then multiple billions of dollars to host the games. Can you see Brisbane putting together that kind of money to host the Olympics? After all it will need multiple new stadiums at a minimum.

The winter games were awarded to these cities purely due to lack of options. Beijing’s only competitor was Almaty, Kazakhstan. Yes, I’d never heard of it either. The last two summer games were awarded to Paris and Los Angeles as they were the only two bidding for 2024, as the other cities had pulled out because they couldn’t see themselves succeeding against these 2 impressive bids. I don’t see what that has to do with bribes/integrity of the bidding system.
I wouldn't say it was a lack of options that means those cities win. I would guess some cities didn't bother to oppose the Beijing bid because they were unlikely to win.

The same would be true for Los Angles and Paris. It's extremely difficult to justify the cost of bidding for the Olympics unless you can get both the Federal, State and Local governments behind a bid.

The only way I could see it working would be for it to be held across Brisbane/Gold Coast and even then is there the political will to spend billions of $$$ on stadiums that longer term would have limited public value.

The Vic regional city bid for the 2030 Commonwealth Games is a great idea and would have substantial positive effort on regional towns.

The other bidders pulled out because of lack of public support in contributing those billions of dollars into hosting the Olympics. It had nothing to do with the quality of LA or Paris.

My original comment about lining people's pockets was tongue in cheek, but the fact is that city after city is opting not to bid for the Olympics for the reason I outlined - costs of $100m+ for a bid, and then multiple billions of dollars to host the games. Can you see Brisbane putting together that kind of money to host the Olympics? After all it will need multiple new stadiums at a minimum.

Agree 100%, a Brisbane games would cost massive amount of money, and whether it would be cost effective? I have my doubts. My point was that if Brisbane were to bid despite all this the lack of superior alternatives would mean the city would probably win the games.

It’s likely a moot point as I doubt Brisbane will end up making a bid anyway tbh

The winter games were awarded to these cities purely due to lack of options. Beijing’s only competitor was Almaty, Kazakhstan. Yes, I’d never heard of it either.
See, people ought to know this sort of thing... Kazakhstan isn't exactly in insignificant country - they're almost as big as us (population wise). Just to help out, Almaty is their largest city. It used to be the capital until the 90s (back then it was called Alma-Ata) when it was moved to the newly created city of Astana (which I think was built on some old gulags or something). Think of it as Kazakhstan's version of Melbourne.
upload_2018-2-26_14-4-40.jpeg

See, people ought to know this sort of thing... Kazakhstan isn't exactly in insignificant country - they're almost as big as us (population wise). Just to help out, Almaty is their largest city. It used to be the capital until the 90s (back then it was called Alma-Ata) when it was moved to the newly created city of Astana (which I think was built on some old gulags or something). Think of it as Kazakhstan's version of Melbourne.
View attachment 463748
And think of Barnaby Joyce as our Borat.

View attachment 463748
Yeah, my comment on Almaty was probably nothing more than an unessacery pot shot and I apologise for that, however it is beside the point that a Brisbane bid in 2032 would most likely be successful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back