Discussion Sir Doug Nicholls Round 2024 (Rds 10 & 11): Photos and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi everyone, welcome to the Sir Doug Nicholls Round thread. After the discussion and guernsey drops took place in the New Jumpers thread as it fairly standard, I have moved everything across to its own individual thread ahead of the next fortnight's games being played.

The following links are from the AFL website; it allows you to check out all the club names, guernseys, Sherrin design, and listen along to some tunes while you do so. Enjoy.

3532c518ccc066a1418fcb425849406c.jpg

Nice detailing on the sleeves. Last Freo post I swear

Reckon Freo are getting closer and closer to bringing back red and green as permanent secondary colours and, hopefully, bringing back the anchor.

No shame in attempting a rebrand and there's something nice about the natural progression of seeing what has worked and what hasn't.

Rate that, pretty clean way to incorporate the artwork without taking away from what a Carlton jumper normally is. I like that they’ll be wearing the same one across all 4 sides too, nice to see. Also I noticed looking at this that the Telstra logo is coloured pink on the AFLW jumper now which I don’t remember seeing last year, I wonder if this is a once off or the new normal. It’d be interesting to see if Telstra use a variety of colours across different teams too.

Collingwood players are wearing white shorts in the promo shots. It will be interesting to see if they run out in white shorts on Saturday against Adelaide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d like to see a cassowary worked into one of these someday. Tricky given its small distribution it might need to be in a Cairns/Townsville type game.

Colours would work with a couple away clubs specifically marking the ground occasion, such as the likes of Crows, ochre eags, giants, demons, devils, blues, power, dockers maybe, etc. as long as it is properly negotiated between the respective Indigenous peoples involved. Richmond/Bulldogs/St Kilda have previously had hosting agreements at Cazalys.

Last edited:
Is it a direction of the league that every club must now release a new one, or is every club doing it off there own bat?

Collingwood players are wearing white shorts in the promo shots. It will be interesting to see if they run out in white shorts on Saturday against Adelaide.
Hopefully - Pies jumper is white based, Crows isn't - so will be much better match up if Pies are in white shorts.

Hopefully - Pies jumper is white based, Crows isn't - so will be much better match up if Pies are in white shorts.
Personally I'd love to see us in the white jumper with black shorts again just once.

I get that ... but should be against a team with red (or even royal) shorts.

No one should wear white shorts against a team with a white jumper.
I think that only teams with white in their colours should ever wear white shorts. West Coast didn't need to wear white shorts against the Pies on the weekend.

My matchup predictions for the first Indigenous Round (with placeholder images used because there's no way I was gonna make graphics with the actual artwork).
Gold Coast 1A.png v Geelong 2A.png
Suns in their NT Indigenous jumper that looks more like the home jumper.
Sydney 3A.png v Carlton 1A.png
I know the Swans jumper is white backed but I don't think there's any reason why they can't (or won't) wear red shorts with it.
Collingwood 2B.png v Adelaide 1A.png
I'm thinking back to last year's match between Richmond and Port at the MCG as a precedent for this. Would look messy in opposite shorts and I assume Collingwood would have brought out a black jumper if they were so opposed to wearing white shorts at home.
GWS 3A.png v Western 2012 D.png
This is just a given. Doggies in blue might have worked but this'd be the only reason the Dogs brought out a white and a blue jumper.
St Kilda 1A.png v Fremantle 2004 B.png
Sorry, no appropriate Saints graphic as I'm working on doing heritage jumpers and they've never worn the exact design they're wearing this week. But both these teams are obviously gonna wear these jumpers and wear the opposite next week.
Brisbane 1A.png v Richmond 1B.png
Not excited for this matchup. Obviously the Lions jumper is going to look different to this so maybe it won't be as clashy but idk. The white on the front for the Lions will make their kit overall lighter but it's still maroon backed so it's gonna be dark vs dark with big segments of white on both uniforms as a whole.
Essendon 2A.png v North 1B.png
Even though the Bombers are technically wearing a clash jumper, it's darker than their normal clash jumper so I reckon they can get away with wearing dark shorts. Plus it's darker than what the Kangaroos are wearing so I reckon this is most likely, but I could absolutely see them going the other way with the shorts.
Port 1A.png v Hawthorn 1B.png
Haven't got a good Hawthorn graphic either yet but my point is they'll have to wear the yellow Indigenous jumper this week against Port. Pretty straightforward.
West Coast 2A.png v Melbourne 2B.png
And then to a matchup that's the opposite of straightforward. Using the normal Melbourne clash graphic doesn't get across the fact that their Indigenous clash is closer to sky blue, but essentially they don't have appropriate shorts, unless they wear the home shorts (pls don't). So assuming they wear white shorts, that leaves the Eagles with only blue shorts to wear which would probably look pretty cool.

Dark red design in the background of the Suns' Darwin jumper is very hard to see.

And there's some kind of text above the back number?

Looks like it's the names of all the Indigenous players to have represented the Suns. The last name in the list looks to be Jed Anderson (which is interesting considering he didn't player a senior game). Pretty impressive tally given their short tenure in the league.

afl-rd-10-gold-coast-v-geelong.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back