News New Premier Partner - Starfish Developments

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
live 15km out of town, in an apartment, I just dont see it being all that successful. Heaps of medium/high density is not a good idea for Port Adelaide.
Fast tracking a tram line extension down Port road through to the area (then finishing at Semaphore) would help. 15km from the city to have 15km of gridlock of a morning / evening or one train line stop only versus multiple tram stops and avoiding the crush of cars would help with it's appeal.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Fast tracking a tram line extension down Port road through to the area (then finishing at Semaphore) would help. 15km from the city to have 15km of gridlock of a morning / evening or one train line stop only versus multiple tram stops and avoiding the crush of cars would help with it's appeal.

The tram line to me, seems like an extremely expensive double up of public transport. You have a train line that pretty much travels 200 meters parralel to Port Road and beyond. Surely just putting on more trains or trains with more carriages would be the answer to greater demand?

Tredz

Club Legend
Apr 30, 2011
Brisbane, QLD
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Utah Jazz
The tram line to me, seems like an extremely expensive double up of public transport. You have a train line that pretty much travels 200 meters parralel to Port Road and beyond. Surely just putting on more trains or trains with more carriages would be the answer to greater demand?

Agree - have never understood the whole build a tram line down Port Road thing. Seems like an utter and complete waste of money.

The tram was never going to be built down the middle of Port Road but was to run on the existing railway track, and have a couple of spurs off that main line. I think they were going to put the tram track inside the existing train line rails.

I remember linking the document on here when it was announced at state budget time. Reckon it must have been Foley and Rann's last budget together, so we are talking 2010.

jac147

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
On the money - using the existing train line is the deal. Similar to the old Melbourne to St Kilda railway line. Now a tram line which continues past the old St Kilda railway station, down FitzRoy Street, past Lunar Park and finishing at the end of the street that has soo many cake shops. I remember now Acland Street.
By the way so excited about the Port development.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
They are adding a small train line extension to Dock One.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
I regularly drive from the city and through the heart of Port Adelaide in afternoon peak hour and the only gridlock I encounter on Port Road is between West Terrace and the Entertainment Centre.

Any development needs soul.

They need to make sure that they attract top scale restaurants, cafes and bars along the foreshore area so the people who are living there have places to go that are attractive enough that they don’t feel like they need to go to the CBD in their downtime. A cinema complex, an old school arcade where they have all the old games from childhood...actually celebrate the old world feel and turn it into a playground.

Certainly to make it work it needs the high quality cafe and bar culture, otherwise it becomes another LEGO development.

Beats28772

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 22, 2013
Event Horizon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Any development needs soul.

They need to make sure that they attract top scale restaurants, cafes and bars along the foreshore area so the people who are living there have places to go that are attractive enough that they don’t feel like they need to go to the CBD in their downtime. A cinema complex, an old school arcade where they have all the old games from childhood...actually celebrate the old world feel and turn it into a playground.

Just for once, don’t do the typical South Australian half assed version of development and expect others to pick up the slack. And FFS, don’t do the other typically South Australian thing and say it won’t work and then never go there just to prove yourself right.
Try to keep up, this isn't the Le Cornu's site from Snobsville friend. The federal government has invested billions on ship building in the area.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Try to keep up, this isn't the Le Cornu's site from Snobsville friend. The federal government has invested billions on ship building in the area.

This doesn't look at all to me like it's being pitched at shipbuilding employees and their families.

They're going for a modern and trendy apartment living vibe akin to the Bowden development, while being 10km further away from the CBD.

This doesn't look at all to me like it's being pitched at shipbuilding employees and their families.

They're going for a modern and trendy apartment living vibe akin to the Bowden development, while being 10km further away from the CBD.
There are a bloody lot of non welders and non fitter and turner types in building the ships and subs. All those technical people using cad/cam software on the design stages.

When automobile manufacturing finished up in oz, the last few years production, you had more people working in the design and technical area than on the assembly line than in each of Holden's, Toyota and Ford.

Back