Mega Thread News of the Day / Interesting Articles & Links

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-06/berlin-wall-down-longer-than-it-was-up/9397368
For 28 years, two months and 27 days, the Berlin Wall divided a city.

Today that wall has been gone one day longer than it stood.

In an effort to stem the tide of refugees attempting to leave East Berlin, the communist government of East Germany constructed a wall that totally encircled West Berlin.

The 155-kilometre, 3.6-metre-high concrete and barbed wire divider separated East and Western Berlin from August 1961 to November 1989.

But just two months earlier, the East German leader, Walter Ulbricht, told journalists "nobody has any intention of building a wall".

It took just a few hours to close off West Berlin completely.

Along its length were more than 300 watchtowers and 20 bunkers, thousands of soldiers, guard dogs, alarms, ditches to trap vehicles, and a no-man's land that varied in width from about 300 metres to the width of a street.

Despite these preventative measures, many attempted to cross the wall. Exact numbers are uncertain but it is understood about 5,000 people crossed the wall successfully and more than 130 died in the attempt.

While parts of the wall have been dismantled since its fall on November 9, 1989, remaining sections are a tourist attraction.

The former border crossing Checkpoint Charlie has also become an important landmark and museum in Berlin.

Time did a great magazine in 2009 to mark 20 years since 1989.

The formatting is ****** but if you can deal with that there is tons of interesting articles from the issue below. Berlin Wall, Simpsons, Ecstasy, Hillsborough, Tienanmen Square.

https://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/completelist/0,29569,1902809,00.html
https://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/0,28757,1902809,00.html
Stole that particular copy from my doctor's waiting room because I'm a badass.*

*Asked the receptionist nicely if I could take it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally something for the LGT^&*GDGHNJKBI (whatever) crew and all people to get angry about.

Indonesia: Transgender women in Aceh detained by police

By BBC Indonesian

Police in Indonesia have detained 12 transgender women, cutting their long hair and saying they were "coaching" them to behave like "real men".

Several beauty salons in Aceh province were raided over the weekend and transgender women working there taken to the local police station.

The transgender women, who were also forced to wear men's clothes, will be held for three days.

Aceh is the only province in Indonesia that has strict Islamic religious law.

The move has been condemned by human rights groups.

Transgender women are known locally as waria, a word that combines the Indonesian words for men and women.

Local Police Chief Ahmad Untung Surianata told the BBC: "We are holding them for three days to give them counselling and coaching. It's going well and now they are all acting like real men."

While on the phone to the BBC, he yelled at the transgender women: "Are you still waria now?"

They replied quietly, sounding clearly under pressure, that they were not.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-42859473

hey lefties, why are you not outraged and disgusted by this blatant disgraceful abuse of LGBT human rights?

why complete silence?? what is going on? I thought you guys cared deeply for LGBT rights??

oh wait... I have found out why! " has strict Islamic religious law."

like usual, these poor people are shunned and left to suffer and fend for themselves by the selfish left who ignore entirely what they go through and do not want to discuss it.

thank goodness for the right, who stand up for the real LGBT suffering in the world and who want to do something about these disgraceful acts against human rights.

don't worry guys, I am sure there will be a Christian baker refusing a cake somewhere that you can blow yourselves up over instead.

keep tackling the things that matter like always.

hey lefties, why are you not outraged and disgusted by this blatant disgraceful abuse of LGBT human rights?

why complete silence?? what is going on? I thought you guys cared deeply for LGBT rights??

like usual, these poor people are shunned and left to suffer and fend for themselves by the selfish left who ignore entirely what they go through and do not want to discuss it.

thank goodness for the right, who stand up for the real LGBT suffering in the world and who want to do something about these disgraceful acts against human rights.

don't worry guys, I am sure there will be a Christian baker refusing a cake somewhere that you can blow yourselves up over instead.

Seriously? It's Aceh, they voted for Islamic law but Indonesia has a strong leftist and feminist movement, in the past when they've asked for help they've got it.

Seriously? It's Aceh, they voted for Islamic law but Indonesia has a strong leftist and feminist movement, in the past when they've asked for help they've got it.

there are many sharia law run countries in the world where this exact same problem and worse is happening to LGBT people.

why are the lefties not speaking up outraged by these disgraceful acts against human rights??

utter silence is all you hear and if it is brought up you just hear insults and the made up word Islamaphobia thrown around.

the left need to stand up against such evil in the world, and stop leaving it all to the right to fend and stick up for these severely oppressed people

Pretty embarrassing post. Did you think you had done well when you hit 'post'?

Usual lefty personal attacks.

So please enlighten me. Does this sort of abuse of LGBT rights across Islamic law countries upset you?? Do you want to take a stand against such abuse and to have change??

The left are complete silence and don’t stand up at all for these people, only the right speak out against such evil happening.

The right stand up for the real inequality and injustice of human rights. The left are only interested in changing dates and more women board members and attaching cake makers. Real issues the left are tackling

So please enlighten me. Does this sort of abuse of LGBT rights across Islamic law countries upset you?? Do you want to take a stand against such abuse and to have change??

The left are complete silence and don’t stand up at all for these people, only the right speak out against such evil happening.

The right stand up for the real inequality and injustice of human rights. The left are only interested in changing dates and more women board members and attaching cake makers. Real issues the left are tackling

Gee, you must have thought this post was so good, it needed to be posted twice.

Haven't you been paying attention? We're busy fighting corruption, nepotism and an unprincipled press at the moment, we'll get around to it soon as Barnaby Joyce has been sacked. Hopefully we'll take Canavan out as well.

While the right keep fighting for LGBT rights being oppressed in the world. Dealing with the real issues as the right only does.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back