• Sam Docherty

Votes: 189 48.8%
  • Jacob Weitering

Votes: 14 3.6%
  • Someone else?

Votes: 19 4.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Seeing as the AFL has given us permission to use Doc as a gameday bench coach, and he seems to be relishing it, I think he is the coaches choice for the next Captain.
The younger players all adore Cripps though so I think he'd be the players choice. He's been great as the stand-in Captain.
I will be happy with either.

Seeing as the AFL has given us permission to use Doc as a gameday bench coach, and he seems to be relishing it, I think he is the coaches choice for the next Captain.
The younger players all adore Cripps though so I think he'd be the players choice. He's been great as the stand-in Captain.
I will be happy with either.
It is a good problem to have in that we have two standout candidates for the job.

Not sure how it is the captain is chosen, is it just a vote of the players? Do coaches and others in the club have a vote? How is it decided there will be co-captains ?

The defence needs their own captain. They are a subset within the team that needs direct on field leadership. One Captain and one Captain of Defence.Take turns tossing the coin or sing duet of "Stand by Your Man" when we win the flag.

I think docherty is the complete package. Whenever I hear him speak I am amazed with his footy knowledge and ability to communicate his points. He is the next captain. I wouldn't be unhappy with Co captains.

I think docherty is the complete package. Whenever I hear him speak I am amazed with his footy knowledge and ability to communicate his points. He is the next captain. I wouldn't be unhappy with Co captains.
Doc speaks very well but Cripps is very inspirational....Cripps is my choice

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cripps is inspirational in the way he goes about his football, on gameday and in his preparation, however on field Paddy needs to maintain his focus on his craft.
Doc has a more workman like approach to his football on field and he is also diligent in his prep and he also has a very good sense of the game plus being in that HBF role gives him a better view of the game and who is positioning correctly etc.

Cripps is inspirational in the way he goes about his football, on gameday and in his preparation, however on field Paddy needs to maintain his focus on his craft.

Would it really hurt his football though? He's the stand-in captain at the moment and doesn't have the same level of accountability as the club skipper, but I don't think it'd compromise his game at all. He looks a natural.

In any case Doc will have the same challenge, possibly even more so coming back into that defence and finding form after a long-term injury.

I think both would be good choices, but on the basis of what we've seen from Cripps so far this season as game-day skip, I'd be happy to back Crippa in.

Doc has a more workman like approach to his football on field and he is also diligent in his prep and he also has a very good sense of the game plus being in that HBF role gives him a better view of the game and who is positioning correctly etc.
Maintain focus ??
You have got to be kidding me.
If he didn’t “maintain focus” why the hell does he win so much contested ball?
Or does he lose focus and the ball just find it’s way to him whilst he is napping ?

Being in the backline and having visibility of the complete field of play for longer periods of time may give Doch the edge over Cripps who would usually be in the thick of it and have less time to sit back and think strategically. Completely agree with others on Cripps' inspirational "lead-by-example" on field but he could keep doing that without being captain as well. I think we're all just happy to be in a position where we have both of these superstars at the club at one time.

Being in the backline and having visibility of the complete field of play for longer periods of time may give Doch the edge over Cripps who would usually be in the thick of it and have less time to sit back and think strategically. Completely agree with others on Cripps' inspirational "lead-by-example" on field but he could keep doing that without being captain as well. I think we're all just happy to be in a position where we have both of these superstars at the club at one time.
Agreed but the point I would make is that it is rare to have a player like Cripps. The action starts at the bounces and the team that is more determined more inspired to wiel themselves at the ball has a better chance of getting first use or locking the ball in tight. As you say Doc has a better view of the game from the behind play so as one of the leaders he can still direct traffic and bark out instructions about structure strategy etc.

Maintain focus ??
You have got to be kidding me.
If he didn’t “maintain focus” why the hell does he win so much contested ball?
Or does he lose focus and the ball just find it’s way to him whilst he is napping ?

In these last couple of matches Cripps has been trying to impose himself on the opposition and giving away frees.
Now I like that he is bring a harder edge to his game but by bring that into his game he needs to be focused on how he goes about it and not just smashing players like he is.
The fact that he has had to do that is indicative of our reliance upon him to shoulder the load both in midfield and across the ground. We need others to step up and not just rely on him.
When I said 'maintain focus' it was about his role and about him not being distracted by anything else.

Back