Next Seasons List Management And Delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmmm can recall peeps being bullish about Reid at draft time, not that I saw anything in the highlights , if push came to shove I’d still handover a r1
Reid will come good - development player! Speaking with an U18 opponent last weekend, she said Reid was so fast at that level and she just couldn't keep up with her on the wing (and she has some speed too). Stella is being eased into it and has a bright future still. I realise there is not a lot to show for it on the track yet, but there have been glimpses of what the future holds.

The Grace Egan thing is a bit perplexing. With some quality leaving the bluebaggers you would think that would think that might sure up her playing opportunities, and don't forget she was no lock in a mediocre side. But then again, their coach can be a touch polarizing.
Egan over her 23 games averages 8k and 7hb and rarely hits the scoreboard. She started of quite a contested player but that has diminished considerably.

She is a handy get, but am 100% with Stanley that she is not our 1st pick - no way. Hopefully the powers that be know that too.

Reid will come good - development player! Speaking with an U18 opponent last weekend, she said Reid was so fast at that level and she just couldn't keep up with her on the wing (and she has some speed too). Stella is being eased into it and has a bright future still. I realise there is not a lot to show for it on the track yet, but there have been glimpses of what the future holds.

The Grace Egan thing is a bit perplexing. With some quality leaving the bluebaggers you would think that would think that might sure up her playing opportunities, and don't forget she was no lock in a mediocre side. But then again, their coach can be a touch polarizing.
Egan over her 23 games averages 8k and 7hb and rarely hits the scoreboard. She started of quite a contested player but that has diminished considerably.

She is a handy get, but am 100% with Stanley that she is not our 1st pick - no way. Hopefully the powers that be know that too.

wise post Phar Ace, spot on

i hope, like you, that we don't make a bigger mistake in getting Egan back by giving up our 1st pick, than we did by not matching Carlton's bid when we had the chance, with our 2nd round pick that year (McLelland)

the fact is, this years draft is at least if not better 2 X than the draft where Egan was taken
i hope we play hardball & even threaten to send her to the draft, like North did with Bulldog's Kim Rennie
even if we have to pick Egan with our 1st, at least it blocks Carlton from having 2 X 1st rounders = 7th & 8th best young Vic players

we don't owe them anything, even if we got the Hoskings from them, they where given fair compensation, pick 15 & 23
the point of now 3 Blues players wanting to come to our club is as much a reflection on us as it is them

my reasons on Egan's trade value are
1) as you pointed out in your post, she's not elite, she's a foot soldier (posters might point to S.Hosking pick 15, but we had to get rid of that pick, she was the best we could get at the time, not like it was our choice)
2) seems to be a mutual falling out, Egan wants out, Blue's want her to leave & thus have less/no power in trading her, what caused this could be in the Harris & now Prespakis & Gee departures
3) if at the year of her trade Tayla Harris 24 yo (elite KPF) was worth pick 23, why would this year trade Grace Egan 22 yo (good midfielder) be worth pick 12? (Dees gave up for Liv Purcell pick 15, Egan not near her level)

you're 100% on what you've wrote on Reid, development player, is she not allowed to develop ?
she's much, much better than what she's shown so far
she's not Molan level disappointment ATM, nowhere near it
let's give her a bit of time

Last edited:
I think Egan is exactly what we need around the contest and wasn’t surprised that Carlton played a whole lot better when she came back after only a couple of weeks.
When she got two ribs busted running back for a mark this/last season.

wise post Phar Ace, spot on

i hope, like you, that we don't make a bigger mistake in getting Egan back by giving up our 1st pick, than we did by not matching Carlton's bid when we had the chance, with our 2nd round pick that year (McLelland)

the fact is, this years draft is at least if not better 2 X than the draft where Egan was taken
i hope we play hardball & even threaten to send her to the draft, like North did with Bulldog's Kim Rennie
even if we have to pick Egan with our 1st, at least it blocks Carlton from having 2 X 1st rounders = 7th & 8th best young Vic players

we don't owe them anything, even if we got the Hoskings from them, they where given fair compensation, pick 15 & 23
the point of now 3 Blues players wanting to come to our club is as much a reflection on us as it is them

my reasons on Egan's trade value are
1) as you pointed out in your post, she's not elite, she's a foot soldier (posters might point to S.Hosking pick 15, but we had to get rid of that pick, she was the best we could get at the time, not like it was our choice)
2) seems to be a mutual falling out, Egan wants out, Blue's want her to leave & thus have less/no power in trading her, what caused this could be in the Harris & now Prespakis & Gee departures
3) if at the year of her trade Tayla Harris 24 yo (elite KPF) was worth pick 23, why would this year trade Grace Egan 22 yo (good midfielder) be worth pick 12? (Dees gave up for Liv Purcell pick 15, Egan not near her level)

you're 100% on what you've wrote on Reid, development player, is she not allowed to develop ?
she's much, much better than what she's shown so far
she's not Molan level disappointment ATM, nowhere near it
let's give her a bit of time
I like your thinking SJ but its going to be a hard sell.

Egan is clearly a better player than Jess Hosking (pick 23) and arguably ahead of Sarah (pick 15) also when fully fit.

She is 1st round quality but I couldn't stomach giving the Blues our first for her given she was ours to begin with.

If we threaten the draft there is no way she gets to our 2nd rounder so that doesn't really work.

We might have to throw in a player to get it done.

We have 10 or so players that are untouchables but someone like McLelland might get the deal done.

Egan is clearly a better player than Jess Hosking (pick 23) and arguably ahead of Sarah (pick 15) also when fully fit.

She is 1st round quality but I couldn't stomach giving the Blues our first for her given she was ours to begin with.

If we threaten the draft there is no way she gets to our 2nd rounder so that doesn't really work.

We have 10 or so players that are untouchables but someone like McLelland might get the deal done.

i'll stand by my post Lord of the Wings regarding Egan

our 2nd round pick 26 is a fair starting point
if Blues want to swap 1st round picks, ours 7 for their 8 as well, we should consider it

again as Phar Ace said
"With some quality leaving the bluebaggers you would think that might shore up her playing opportunities. Egan over her 23 games averages 8k and 7hb and rarely hits the scoreboard. She started of quite a contested player but that has diminished considerably."

with Prespakis & Gee leaving, why would Blues want Egan to leave ?
unless it's a Tayla Harris situation, ie please leave (insta post by Egan celebrating Prepakis & Gee leaving was taken down by her, ordered by CFC)
why wouldn't they release a statement saying
1) she's a required player ?
2) rumors of her leaving are false ?

We might have to throw in a player to get it done. We have 10 or so players that are untouchables but someone like McLelland might get the deal done.
for a 2nd rounder for Egan ?
yeah sure if one of our fringe players want's to swap over, it would be a bonus for trade negotiations (a mid like Dargan, Jacques would probably be more appealing, considering they've lost mids & we're gaining a mid))

apples & oranges comparison
Jess we had control, Blues wanted pick 16, we said nah pick 23, Blues folded
Sarah we had no control, AFL compo pick 15 we would have lost, if we didn't offer it as a trade. no choice trade
i'd say both are worth a 2nd rounder, but of course Blues want 1st rounders for trades

Kim Rennie went pick 28, after Tara Slender pick 19 both North 2nd rounders
so in saying Egan won't get to our 2nd Rd pick 26 is based on no evidence thus far in AFLW history
if she's firmly set on Richmond, why would a club draft her if she's not interested, they'll be wasting a pick in a super strong draft
this draft the top 20 Vic draftees are as good as the top 10 last year

Pretty apparent that the girls are much more inclined to split from their clubs for various reasons, get the feeling not a happy environment at the blues, wb were too like that , others have been inclined to pursue childhood dreams of playing for team supported as a kid , rarely a factor for the men.
Maybe the flat pay scale is a factor that doesn’t favour loyalty

Pretty apparent that the girls are much more inclined to split from their clubs for various reasons, get the feeling not a happy environment at the blues, wb were too like that , others have been inclined to pursue childhood dreams of playing for team supported as a kid , rarely a factor for the men.
Maybe the flat pay scale is a factor that doesn’t favour loyalty

yeah spot on Bojangles17
Carlton AFLW stance has so far been "if you're not invested in our club, we'll draft/recruit players who are"
which is fair enough, i'd hope our club is like that too

but yes, the AFLW comp is very different than AFL in many areas, in regards to player movement
the reasons you posted are but a few
"pursue childhood dreams of playing for team supported as a kid, the flat pay scale that doesn’t favour loyalty"
the non full time aspect is also a big one, Izzy Huntington going to GWS while injured is an example of this

Everyone has to get over the whole "Egan was ours" thinking. It doesn't matter a zot. We are dealing in today's not yesterday's

Ages aside, I would rather have JHosking than Egan, and that she cost us less than SHosking is only because we had to trade Pick15 and Carton knew it. Jess was a last minute trade where sometimes values get a bit hazy due to urgency. In Egan's favour is her age of just 22 (nearly). Could have 10 years of footy ahead of here. That also has to be balanced against an untried but well prepared U18 kid. On balance Egan is a 2nd rounder to our Club, because a 1st rounder in this draft is too valuable. She'll probably be a last trade made situation.

yeah spot on Bojangles17
Carlton AFLW stance has so far been "if you're not invested in our club, we'll draft/recruit players who are"
which is fair enough, i'd hope our club is like that too

but yes, the AFLW comp is very different than AFL in many areas, in regards to player movement
the reasons you posted are but a few
"pursue childhood dreams of playing for team supported as a kid, the flat pay scale that doesn’t favour loyalty"
the non full time aspect is also a big one, Izzy Huntington going to GWS while injured is an example of this
It’s good for the W game that clubs can load up with marketing $ and package a deal , means the very best will get rewarded , and imho they’re the only ones that warrant the decent coin right now . 3y plus I expect depth will be much improved than what we see right now

It’s good for the W game that clubs can load up with marketing $ and package a deal , means the very best will get rewarded , and imho they’re the only ones that warrant the decent coin right now . 3y plus I expect depth will be much improved than what we see right now

Do you have any further details on the Marketing packaging. I was of the understanding that each Club had a $100,000 in the 2022 pool that they could 'allocate' as marketing and sponsorships across the playing list, but this excluded the top two players of each list (presumably the Tier 1 players). By 'excluding' I took that to mean the top two players can enter into their own additional marketing arrangements perhaps:

1651405695841.png
1651405764212.png

Do you have any further details on the Marketing packaging. I was of the understanding that each Club had a $100,000 in the 2022 pool that they could 'allocate' as marketing and sponsorships across the playing list, but this excluded the top two players of each list (presumably the Tier 1 players). By 'excluding' I took that to mean the top two players can enter into their own additional marketing arrangements perhaps:

View attachment 1389505
View attachment 1389510
I thought that marketing money was uncapped that’s how clubs were putting together such big packages

View attachment 1389505
View attachment 1389510
I thought that marketing money was uncapped that’s how clubs were putting together such big packages

without going into a long winded explanation yes, you're both correct
ASA is a part of the salary cap, but private sponsorship's, media, cars, employment etc in various forms is outside
the Hoskings RFC podcast "hanging with the Hoskings " payments is outside the cap as an example

Last edited:
without going into a long winded explanation yes, you're both correct
ASA is a part of the salary cap, but private sponsorship's, media, cars, employment etc in various forms is outside
the Hoskings RFC podcast "hanging with the Hoskings " payments is outside the cap as an example
I think the telling word I would suspect is "bonafide" arrangements (which frankly doesn't clear it up). Hanging with the Hoskings probably argues it is a bonafide business operation, where the endeavor is rewarded by its income, whereas being a brand ambassador may not have the same endeavor for reward if it is arranged by the Club as an inducement or reward. It's an interesting area full of shades of grey......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Additional Services: for marketing purposes, only 2 players can make unlimited money via this avenue

Employment Agreements: having a job at the club (producing a podcast, coaching role, etc.), all players can enter into these, payments uncapped

Independent Agreements: getting extra money or benefits from a club sponsor (may involve a job with said sponsor), all players can enter into these, payments uncapped

Women’s football pioneer Akec Makur Chuot is poised to join her third AFLW club, with the defender likely to move from Richmond to expansion club Hawthorn.
AFLW sources indicated that the 178-centimetre defender will likely join the Hawks’ inaugural AFLW list, having been pursued by the Hawthorn recruitment team, including coach Bec Goddard.

Additional Services: for marketing purposes, only 2 players can make unlimited money via this avenue

Employment Agreements: having a job at the club (producing a podcast, coaching role, etc.), all players can enter into these, payments uncapped

Independent Agreements: getting extra money or benefits from a club sponsor (may involve a job with said sponsor), all players can enter into these, payments uncapped

doesn't surprise me, would've been the 1st on the delist chopping block
good luck to her, has been a good club woman

thanks for your continued input Teen Wolf
any idea when the sign & trade period is going to be ?

Would have been a tie between her and Molan for the first delisted.

At the start of last season I would have said that was a bit too cruel, but then I saw her efforts back at Port and I concur. At least Akec finished the season off in the 1's didn't she? (or close to it) Molan would want some serious mitigating circumstances to justify her form or lack there of.

Good luck to her , an energetic teammate that gives 100% which is prob off the level but at this stage she’ll get a regular look in

Not quite the right place for it but didn’t want to go on the main board.
Montana Ham came down to watch my daughters team play on the weekend. U/14’s
She’s a big kid and looks super fit..sometimes you see a teenager and you just know they’re an athlete.

Not quite the right place for it but didn’t want to go on the main board.
Montana Ham came down to watch my daughters team play on the weekend. U/14’s
She’s a big kid and looks super fit..sometimes you see a teenager and you just know they’re an athlete.

that's nice of Montana to come down & watch your daughter's team play, any particular reason, does she know anyone on the team ?

she's definitely a super player, like our Ellie McKenzie but on steroids !!!!

hope your daughter keeps enjoying her football

Last edited:
that's nice of Montana to come down & watch your daughter's team play, any particular reason, does she know anyone on the team ?

she's definitely a super player, like our Ellie McKenzie but on steroids !!!!

hope your daughter keeps enjoying her football
My kid really enjoys her footy, and the social aspect. The girls and boys grow up together and the club puts on events like chaperoned disco’s and other things, really is a point of difference with other sports I think.
One of the girls in the team has been training with Monatana and a conditioning coach doing extras.
U/14’s is where the pathway starts with Rep footy and Inter-league.
All the girls have aspirations to be better and some are pretty ambitious and are starting to really invest in developing now.

My kid really enjoys her footy, and the social aspect. The girls and boys grow up together and the club puts on events like chaperoned disco’s and other things, really is a point of difference with other sports I think.
One of the girls in the team has been training with Monatana and a conditioning coach doing extras.
U/14’s is where the pathway starts with Rep footy and Inter-league.
All the girls have aspirations to be better and some are pretty ambitious and are starting to really invest in developing now.

Yep, the next 10 years of AFLW's evolution will be extraordinary.

Yep, the next 10 years of AFLW's evolution will be extraordinary.
Yep, there’s one girl from Strathmore U/16’s…wow
Left/right 35-40 mtr passes bang on probably the best girl I’ve seen.
Rumour is she runs Marby River (5k) before every game.
She’s incredible, I’ll get her name she’ll be top 5 in Vic in her draft year no worries, as long she stays healthy.

CARLTON coach Daniel Harford has hit out at the lack of clarity surrounding the upcoming list management period, as Collective Bargaining Agreement negotiations continue.

He's not the only one concerned about delays, with club officials across the country wary of the impending time crunch of an expansion Sign and Trade Period and the NAB AFLW Draft, all within the next five to six weeks.

Players have also been vocal on social media about the lack of clarity surrounding season details, especially given their additional work commitments and potential scheduling conflicts for the League's dual code Irish players.

The trade period cannot begin until the CBA is agreed upon, as there are no contracts to sign and the Total Player Payments amount has not been set.

"At some stage, if anyone's listening, a timeline would be nice for the competition, even just for trade and list management and that sort of stuff," Harford said on RSN.

"I've got no idea about anything, no one's saying anything, which is very difficult. I know there's negotiations for the CBA and between the players and headquarters is to-ing and fro-ing and they're having those little moments, and you probably can't do too much without that.

PLAYER MOVEMENT Who's going? Who's staying? All the latest news

"But seriously, if it's going to start in August, we'll be starting training in June, and we're in early May. So we'll start training in five weeks, if we're going to start the August timeline, and we don't actually know who's playing for us yet.

"There's no draft timeline. It's a bad outcome. It's a very bad outcome. Just tell us. I'm not sure too many competitions will be running like this around the globe."

AFLW LIST CHANGES (as of May 6)

Adelaide: Ange Foley, Justine Mules and Erin Phillips (committed to Port Adelaide)

Brisbane: Maria Moloney has requested a trade to a different club

Carlton: Georgia Gee, Maddy Prespakis (committed to Essendon), Grace Egan (requested trade to Richmond)

Collingwood: Sophie Alexander (committed to Essendon)

Fremantle: Ann McMahon, Tiah Toth (delisted), Jasmin Stewart (stepping away), Steph Cain (committed to Essendon)

Geelong: Danielle Higgins (retired)

Gold Coast: Nil

GWS: Katie Loynes (retired), Ally Morphett, Bec Privitelli and Lisa Steane (committed to Sydney)

Melbourne: Brenna Tarrant has requested a trade to a NSW club, with Sydney the frontrunner

North Melbourne: Nil

Richmond: Nil

St Kilda: Nil

West Coast: Tayla Bresland, Andrea Gilmore and Courtney Guard (retired), Ashlee Atkins and Lauren Gauci (delisted), Maddy Collier (committed to Sydney), Niamh Kelly (requested trade to Adelaide)

Western Bulldogs: Ash Guest (retired), Bonnie Toogood (committed to Essendon), Izzy Huntington (requested trade to GWS)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back