Discussion NFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The other piece was better but it’s hard to find the old stuff. Pretty much only the cowboys would sign Elliott to that sort of deal, it’s all emotion with them. He’s a classic example, he arrived having had a heavy workload at Ohio state so the projection on him would be 26 - 27 he’s just another running back with yardage per carry dropping off. Interestingly they have tony pollard getting a lot more carries and he’s a completely different player and it’s working well for them. Maybe platooning him extends his career but why tie up so much cash, cowboys special.

What I found really interesting about the story I watched was they’re all being tracked through high school and college. So you need to stand out to get drafted but as a running back the higher profile actually hurts you. Get drafted sign a rookie contract and a lot will never get a big payday. The teams looking at your production thinking it’s starting to slip let him walk we‘ll draft another one.

Still it makes sense, you see it in the AFL some players carry a team for a few years and end up banged up and old before their time, Cripps comes to mind.
You are absolutely right, and the owners/coaches know that with the way the league is going, the need for a standout back isn't as important as it used to be. Look at how Le'Veon Bell's situation turned out for him. Thought he could get more elsewhere and it backfired on him. There was another one too a couple years ago but the name escapes me. You are probably better off running a two back set and splitting carries or just running out of a shotgun and bringing them in for short yardage or goal line packages. The rest of the time you can usually get any decent enough guy to move it a few yards when you give it to him. I honestly think it's now more about keeping defenses guessing rather than actually winning games off the back of them - bar the notable exceptions like Henry, McCaffrey, Chubb to an extent.

Winston injured with a knee, still keeping the Bucs at arms reach though. Be a tough fought win if we get up.
Bucs doing everything they can to loose, it’s looking like one of those days for them very poor discipline week in week out something they need to address.

Great win mate
Was watching the last quarter on a play by play graphic on the nfl site. Was holding my breath the last drive of ours and then the int. Twice we've knocked them off this season now.
Edit: got excited, thought we had them twice already. Now onto the Jazz for the perfect morning.

Last edited:
George
Jordan Howard had a few good years on volume.
Not in league with Henry/zeke.
He’s a one trick pony.
Power runner, no evasion.
Useless in passing game.
No good in the return game.
Those guys are dime a dozen, that’s why bears let go, if u got another guy on rookie contract showing something, let a team desperate for a runner pay up for the 2nd contract.
Easy to get injured running his style which derailed his first eagles stint.
All downhill for RBS from age 26 too...

hmm... anyone would think I flexed Kenneth gainwell this morning.

George
Jordan Howard had a few good years on volume.
Not in league with Henry/zeke.
He’s a one trick pony.
Power runner, no evasion.
Useless in passing game.
No good in the return game.
Those guys are dime a dozen, that’s why bears let go, if u got another guy on rookie contract showing something, let a team desperate for a runner pay up for the 2nd contract.
Easy to get injured running his style which derailed his first eagles stint.
All downhill for RBS from age 26 too...

hmm... anyone would think I flexed Kenneth gainwell this morning.
Again my point was I haven't seen a guy go from 1000 yard back to practice squad as quickly as that.

I’ll have a look and see what I can find, yeah I was surprised by just how quickly it’s over for so many of them. It makes sense though given many are human battering rams.

This is more recent but is a detailed explanation of how the role is changing and production by age etc.
There’s also this:

which highlights your point. Also why would you pay for a top RB at age 26 when they’re going to decline when you can get a 21-22y/o on a rookie contract that can pump out the same numbers?
Running backs also have the shortest careers in the NFL.

I’ll have a look and see what I can find, yeah I was surprised by just how quickly it’s over for so many of them. It makes sense though given many are human battering rams.

This is more recent but is a detailed explanation of how the role is changing and production by age etc.
Didn't see the link when I saw this post initially. Really interesting stuff mate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again my point was I haven't seen a guy go from 1000 yard back to practice squad as quickly as that.
Jay ajayi
lamar miller
Latavius Murray
Peyton hillis
Even devonta freeman wasn’t around long.

Yes you’re right Howard maybe the fastest from 1000 to practice squad.
But I’m not surprised.

There’s also this:

which highlights your point. Also why would you pay for a top RB at age 26 when they’re going to decline when you can get a 21-22y/o on a rookie contract that can pump out the same numbers?
Running backs also have the shortest careers in the NFL.
Wouldn’t even be shocked if bears trade out Montgomery now.
A year after going 1000.
But With Herbert looking good..
Titans might give a good trade price?

Also saints fans,
How good having Ingram back in the black and gold!
I’ve always watched Ingrams career closely. I remember the first time I watched him was the 2010 championship game, which was a bloody great game. The fact I was eating lobster and drinking rum in Belize definitely helped. Solid self flex but god it was fun.

Jay ajayi
lamar miller
Latavius Murray
Peyton hillis
Even devonta freeman wasn’t around long.

Yes you’re right Howard maybe the fastest from 1000 to practice squad.
But I’m not surprised.
Ajayi seems to be an outlier, only really had 1 good season his entire career and that same season was the only time he played more than half the year. Lamar had near on 5 straight 1000 yard seasons and then tore his ACL. Murray similar to Ajayi, same as Hillis - one season over 1000 yards the rest of his career mostly under 500. You're right on Freeman.

I completely get that most backs' careers end abruptly and they're generally in and out of their prime quickly - I've been watching the sport for 25 years, would be stupid to not understand that. I just don't know if the flash in the pan types can be considered. In Howard's case he is similar to Latavius Murray in that he had maintained his performance for several seasons but what makes it different is Howard never suffered a similar type of devastating injury, he just flat out lost form.

Huge blow-outs this morning. Dallas, Buffalo & New England with huge wins.

Looking forward to the late game today too - Raiders v Chiefs should be interesting and then probably season on the line for the 49ers tomorrow against LA (Rams)

Good win today on the road against Denver. Our defense stepped up, Jalen Hurts was accurate, and DeVonta Smith probably had the best game of his short career. We move to 4-6.

New Orleans in Philadelphia next.

Tom Brady's Man in the Arena documentary came out today. Well, the first episode. Probably something that you'd enjoy Yawkey way . I'm really looking forward to it.

Good win by the Patriots so I can relax and watch the rest of the round, we’re looking better every week. An added advantage is my multi will actually stay alive until Monday, last week was appalling I picked 4 from 8.

I don't want to sound like a Debbie downer, but I've been watching the College Football games on Kayo on weekends and I've enjoyed it much more than the NFL broadcasts. Just has a much better atmosphere and it just feels like it's more exciting, I don't know.

It's interesting that there are college football stadiums with higher capacity than NFL stadiums.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back