Rumour Nick Salter out of Port, any interest here???

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Been hearing he aint happy at Port and may request a trade.

Any interest here??

I reckon he would make a good utility player to replace Scott Stevens in the best 22. Been doing the role at WWT and kicking goals doing so.

Would be a better get than Pav IMO.
Trading with Port might be difficult, but maybe the pick we get to compensate for our lost GC player??? He is afterall out of their best 22, according to their coaches at least:rolleyes:.

Nope no interest

While Port fans deny doing it, they massively overrate their players so I never trust the average Port supporters opinion on players. Let's not forget that so called "elite midfielder" (Thomson) that they had on their list that Choco apparently was ingoring that now can't even get a game at Richmond.

At the end of the day if Choco isnt playing him there is a good chance that the reason is the same as it was with Thomson that they just arent good enough. Choco said that they might be able to turn him into a defender so that obviously shows that he has no confidence in his ability to be an AFL forward.

It's a strange one. Choco doesn't rate him as an AFL player for whatever reason, won't even give him a chance. But he's contracted and I think we would be a bit careful trading with you guys, can you imagine if he was traded and gunned it at another club?

It's a strange one. Choco doesn't rate him as an AFL player for whatever reason, won't even give him a chance. But he's contracted and I think we would be a bit careful trading with you guys, can you imagine if he was traded and gunned it at another club?

I actually think that Choco is usually a good judge of talent and noone that Choco has let go has really come back to haunt him.

no thanks - we have heaps of big blokes on our list
too many other priorities eg quick defensive forward crumber

Nope no interest

While Port fans deny doing it, they massively overrate their players so I never trust the average Port supporters opinion on players. Let's not forget that so called "elite midfielder" (Thomson) that they had on their list that Choco apparently was ingoring that now can't even get a game at Richmond.

At the end of the day if Choco isnt playing him there is a good chance that the reason is the same as it was with Thomson that they just arent good enough. Choco said that they might be able to turn him into a defender so that obviously shows that he has no confidence in his ability to be an AFL forward.

I see what you mean, but he is doing pretty good in the SANFL, and with limited drafts in next two seasons could be a more than handy acquisition. Like I said in my OP I see him as a utility. Choco might not play him because Chad is doing that role?

We have Scott Stevens who is starting to show signs of age. It is one area we need to find a replacement. Salter is ready made.

Mark ain't that stupid if he's not getting picked it's for no other reason than he ain't up to it.

I actually think that Choco is usually a good judge of talent and noone that Choco has let go has really come back to haunt him.
True, but what better place to destroy a career than Richmond of the last few years? Thomson seems to have gone backwards in a big way since arriving there, don't think he even plays well in the VFL consistently.

On Salter, I don't think it has anything to do with talent. He has bucket loads. It's more a height thing, and they think he is better suited to being a 3rd tall defender like Otten than a key forward. Bradshaw and Fev are the same height and have had decent enough careers, so Salts should at least be given a few weeks to prove himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see what you mean, but he is doing pretty good in the SANFL, and with limited drafts in next two seasons could be a more than handy acquisition. Like I said in my OP I see him as a utility. Choco might not play him because Chad is doing that role?

We have Scott Stevens who is starting to show signs of age. It is one area we need to find a replacement. Salter is ready made.

The thing is, is that we've got plenty of young talls who fit this mold, you'd want to be pretty sure he would end up being better than, or at least as good as the likes of Talia, Davis, McKernan, Gunston, Young, Sellar, Shaw, Otten, Henderson etc.

At this stage, unless we rated him super highly, I wouldn't be going out of our way to recruit him, nor would I pay overly much, we have far greater needs at the moment than another 6'3-6'4 utility.

The thing is, is that we've got plenty of young talls who fit this mold, you'd want to be pretty sure he would end up being better than, or at least as good as the likes of Talia, Davis, McKernan, Gunston, Young, Sellar, Shaw, Otten, Henderson etc.

At this stage, unless we rated him super highly, I wouldn't be going out of our way to recruit him, nor would I pay overly much, we have far greater needs at the moment than another 6'3-6'4 utility.

The $64,000 question.......

Otten and Davis are proven to be in our best 22.

I would rate Salter just below these two.
I personally like Sellar and would have him in this area as well.

The rest are still unknowns, with Henderson leading my personal list. Something special about him.

Salter being a bit older and AFL ready may be just in front (of all bar Davis and Otten), and if we are thinking Pav, may be a cheaper and (almost) comparable option?

Nope no interest

While Port fans deny doing it, they massively overrate their players so I never trust the average Port supporters opinion on players.

Your probably right, but coming from a poster on this board its a bit of a laugh.

We just want him to get a bloody go. He played good footy in the 2nd half of last year, was starting to become a regular performer, then all of a sudden nothing.....nada....zip. Despite regular good form/bog performances at SANFL level, its like hes fallen off the earth somewhere. It seems we'd much rather the general spudness of Jay Schulz and the unpredictable headcase 50m giving awayness show ponying Daniel Motlop than someone that can take a good mark, is a good size, and has a laser like kick anywhere within 60 metres of goal.

Choco said that they might be able to turn him into a defender so that obviously shows that he has no confidence in his ability to be an AFL forward.

CHoco had no faith in Gilham either....hes a premiership player. Or Guerra....hes a premiership player. Or Harley....hes a premiership captain.

He was actually leading the SANFL in goals until about round 6 or 7, about the same time Tredrea went down. Everyone thought that Salts would slide right in....but instead he only got the Richmond game and choco had him doing the kick-ins! And then he dropped him after one game that was played in the slop. Absolute insanity considering how small our forward line is atm.

He is contracted until the end of 2011, but I wouldn't be surprised if he walked out after that. If we don't give him a decent go I hope he finds another club that will so that he can stick it up choco Tom Harley-style! :thumbsu:

We shouldn't, purely because we have enough players of his type, if we didn't, I'd definitely want him.

He can seriously play, and he'll only get better as he gets more comfortable with the demands of being an AFL player.

x 2 :thumbsu:

Whoever gets him will have a bargain on their hands.

If our team was actually any good, you might be able to get away with that argument.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back