Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
Called the club today ('far too late') to inquire about getting a ticket for Sunday. Fair enough, too late.

If the below is tedious to read, imagine experiencing it...

Then the guy asks for my membership ID. I ask why, if it's too late. He says he's just trying to help me.
Again I say, why if there aren't any tickets? He says he just wants to check my details.
I say I don't need my details checked thanks, but ask again re why he wanted my membership details if there weren't any tickets available - why I called.
He says he's just trying help (now sounding irritated with me... the customer.)
I say there's no need to check my details (I know they're up to date) and again, ask why?
He says sorry for being offensive (picking up by now that I'm irritated that he wasn't listening.)
I say you're not being offensive; I'd just like an answer to my question: Why, specifically, do you need to check my details if you don't have any tickets?
He finally says "It's just our process." (Ah, says I to myself, a mindless drone...)
Ah, it's just what you do.
He then says the membership type I first mentioned to him didn't exist, so he wanted to check.
I say, it may not have been the exact type (it's changed over the years) but it was irrelevant in any case if there aren't any tickets.

After hanging up, I realise he may have thought I was a Dockers supporter, and wanting to verify I was a Roos supporter. Why not just say 'Sorry sir, we do need to verify your membership in order to provide a ticket... we do get opposition supporters trying to get free tickets.' On the other hand, if there aren't tickets, why go through that charade?

That was a minute that could have been devoted to serving someone else!

Dear GR,

Like the team on the field, we’re always looking for ways to improve, but we need your help.

After taking your feedback last year, we elected to invest in, and create more, meaningful member benefits like:
  • New ‘member exclusive’ content; members are first to receive key club announcements and news
  • Roo Shop voucher on your birthday (up to $20) with no minimum spend
  • Food and merchandise offers at selected home games

However, despite our best intentions to improve your experience, some things don’t always go to plan.

We are disappointed with the quality of some of our membership fulfilment items this year and regret the delays in getting them to you.

It is important to us that our members are happy, and feel valued.

We want you to know we have already started a review of our membership services, the packs and our suppliers, to ensure going forward, everything we do is high quality, useful and appreciated.

In order to improve, we need your feedback and experiences, good and bad.

Please take the time to complete a short membership services survey by clicking here, and go in the running to win one of ten personally signed jumpers from the player of your choice.

We hope you’ll notice improvements imminently but in the meantime, please accept our sincere apologies and our appreciation for your understanding and continued support.

Kind Regards,
North Melbourne Membership Services.

Dear GR,

Like the team on the field, we’re always looking for ways to improve, but we need your help.

After taking your feedback last year, we elected to invest in, and create more, meaningful member benefits like:
  • New ‘member exclusive’ content; members are first to receive key club announcements and news
  • Roo Shop voucher on your birthday (up to $20) with no minimum spend
  • Food and merchandise offers at selected home games

However, despite our best intentions to improve your experience, some things don’t always go to plan.

We are disappointed with the quality of some of our membership fulfilment items this year and regret the delays in getting them to you.

It is important to us that our members are happy, and feel valued.

We want you to know we have already started a review of our membership services, the packs and our suppliers, to ensure going forward, everything we do is high quality, useful and appreciated.

In order to improve, we need your feedback and experiences, good and bad.

Please take the time to complete a short membership services survey by clicking here, and go in the running to win one of ten personally signed jumpers from the player of your choice.

We hope you’ll notice improvements imminently but in the meantime, please accept our sincere apologies and our appreciation for your understanding and continued support.

Kind Regards,
North Melbourne Membership Services.

I just received that email too

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Orange Peanut

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Called the club today ('far too late') to inquire about getting a ticket for Sunday. Fair enough, too late.

If the below is tedious to read, imagine experiencing it...

Then the guy asks for my membership ID. I ask why, if it's too late. He says he's just trying to help me.
Again I say, why if there aren't any tickets? He says he just wants to check my details.
I say I don't need my details checked thanks, but ask again re why he wanted my membership details if there weren't any tickets available - why I called.
He says he's just trying help (now sounding irritated with me... the customer.)
I say there's no need to check my details (I know they're up to date) and again, ask why?
He says sorry for being offensive (picking up by now that I'm irritated that he wasn't listening.)
I say you're not being offensive; I'd just like an answer to my question: Why, specifically, do you need to check my details if you don't have any tickets?
He finally says "It's just our process." (Ah, says I to myself, a mindless drone...)
Ah, it's just what you do.
He then says the membership type I first mentioned to him didn't exist, so he wanted to check.
I say, it may not have been the exact type (it's changed over the years) but it was irrelevant in any case if there aren't any tickets.

After hanging up, I realise he may have thought I was a Dockers supporter, and wanting to verify I was a Roos supporter. Why not just say 'Sorry sir, we do need to verify your membership in order to provide a ticket... we do get opposition supporters trying to get free tickets.' On the other hand, if there aren't tickets, why go through that charade?

That was a minute that could have been devoted to serving someone else!
Grumpy Old thread beckons!

I reckon the database is probably such a s**t show that they've asked everyone in customer service to take every chance to verify member details. Still, logic dictates that a simple answer to a simple question would alleviate a lot of angst!

Got the email too. How about they review the crap they sent before they have it made. Who in mrmbership thougt the tear out fixture with self adhesive magnet was a goiod option? Whoever it was, sack them. If they reckon thats a good thing they know nothing about membership content.
Anyway, did the survey honestly - good to see they still read bigfooty.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Survey

1552982470063.png

1552982503915.png

1552982533748.png

1552982556682.png

5. Do you have any additional suggestions on what you would like to see as part of your 2020 member pack?

Cease looking for ways to deny the members simple cheap items in the traditional package in order to grab more moneys. It's not as if the collected tally of these items is an expensive outlay. Take funding out of non AFL football areas instead, as my experience is that most of us don't care for any of it. It's time to get actual football people back in charge, instead of politically leaning bean counters.

1552982842462.png

Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Survey not sent. Club can get ****ed.
I admit that was a poorly constructed question but the obvious af thing to do would be clicking any of the clickable options and adding the Other option as well.

Because you know, it takes less than 45 seconds of brainpower to figure out. But cursing out the club where they will never hear you again (because some aggressively dumb ****s cursed out the guy would otherwise always give us the time of day) takes 3.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I admit that was a poorly constructed question but the obvious af thing to do would be clicking any of the clickable options and adding the Other option as well.

Because you know, it takes less than 45 seconds of brainpower to figure out. But cursing out the club where they will never hear you again (because some aggressively dumb ****s cursed out our only correspondence option) takes 3.

Why, so they could utilise that misinformation to suit themselves? It's too hard to put in another circle option with the word "other" in it? Stop behaving like an asskisser for incompetence!

They can't even get the ****ing complaint form right!

Because you know, it takes less than 45 seconds of brainpower to figure out. But cursing out the club where they will never hear you again (because some aggressively dumb ****s cursed out the guy would otherwise always give us the time of day) takes 3.

I agree but it is symbolic of so many of their issues. The solution to improving membership isn't in the agony of the decision between a scarf and a cap. Assuming that cheap merch product A will somehow provide more than cheap merch product B in member value is a big part of the issue. Membership needs to deliver more than what the survey fillers vote for each year. I stand by my other thread and comments. They need to figure out what they're trying to sell (with the memberships), understand the goals it achieves (attendance, marketing, engagement etc) then figure out from there what needs to be in these packs to optimise this - and it will likely be very different for 1st year members, return members, juniors, junior returnees, boomerang members, reserved seat members and so on. I feel like a broken record but we've moved beyond the cookie cutter model and they need to not only get with the program, but get ahead of it.

They can't even get the ****ing complaint form right!

The most important point. Absolutely, 100% spot on.

My lasting impression of being a North member is still on the eve of finals in 2014 and 2015 the club forgot to send Ticketek the barcode database to allow members to purchase tickets.
Not once but twice. In consecutive years. The same stuff up.

Its the worst run department at the club by far and symbolic of where we sit membership wise within the league and in general success.

This year though it seems the club has been more incompetent than usual with regard to membership services, hence the survey.

Be it the love of the club or the fact we’re on the cusp of the season, the level of scrutiny in response to how inadequate the service has been in the off-season has been firm, but most are just over it and accept it for what it is.

It’s akin to the water quality at St Kilda beach. Consistently poor with very bad days in between and the odd fair day every now and then.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sad to say i pretty much have to agree with a lot of the negative sentiment. In my opinion a lot of the confusion stems from some of the membership options being poorly documented or conflicting.
For example the stand alone digital subscription clearly states a cap and one game with guest as well. However i wasnt sent a membership this year so how are i to claim the ticket? Additionally i took the same product last year and it included the pack. Wtf?..

So on inquiry and pointing out iam still driving round with a member 2018 sticker on the car they state they will send one out.

To be honest i couldnt care less regarding the keyring, certificate or fixture etc, but not even having the current years bumper sticker is extremely poor.

I would have thought the more cars driving round flying the flag the better.

What also frustrates me is the wife and dad are carlton members and everything just turns up no problem well before xmas. Grrrrr

Apr 24, 2011
Greek Islands
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Our membership dept is a symptom of modern corporate culture in Australia. Take as much as you can and give the absolute bare minimum in return. Then have complete nuff nuffs taking your calls, answering enquiries etc forcing you to simply give up in frustration. They're basically exploit our emotional attachment to the club. Complete hustlers.
It's very rare to have any sort of issue with a bank, telco, insurance co., govt dept, utility co. etc quickly and efficiently resolved. They simply grind away at you, that's how they operate.
I'm still pissed at the club about being forced to auto renew my membership 5 months before the start of the season without giving my consent to do so. WTF is that?

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Our membership dept is a symptom of modern corporate culture in Australia. Take as much as you can and give the absolute bare minimum in return. Then have complete nuff nuffs taking your calls, answering enquiries etc forcing you to simply give up in frustration. They're basically exploit our emotional attachment to the club. Complete hustlers.
It's very rare to have any sort of issue with a bank, telco, insurance co., govt dept, utility co. etc quickly and efficiently resolved. They simply grind away at you, that's how they operate.
I'm still pissed at the club about being forced to auto renew my membership 5 months before the start of the season without giving my consent to do so. WTF is that?
Very true summary. Unfortunately the prawn rots from the head and i expected better under the leadership off field under ben buckley.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
They can get ****ed. Seriously, they can just get ****ed.

This gentrified soft utensil version of the club and the crab football that goes with it, is not what made my family stick through thick and thin for 5 generations.

This is downright ****ing SHAMEFUL

This will end the rise quite abruptly.
Not like the club isnt used to it though lol

Can you imagine new staff in the membership department being like, "* bet it gets busy this time of year with last minute sign ups!"
"pfft do you not know how North starts the season mate? We will be kicking back doing * all in no time"

Like ******* clockwork

Jan 29, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yesterdays loss will seriously hurt our membership numbers. Big offseason with plenty of hype around us, I reckon next week at home against Brisbane would have been our chance to sign on 2000 odd people - wouldn't be surprised if we get a poor crowd and bugger all people signing on.

Yesterdays loss will seriously hurt our membership numbers. Big offseason with plenty of hype around us, I reckon next week at home against Brisbane would have been our chance to sign on 2000 odd people - wouldn't be surprised if we get a poor crowd and bugger all people signing on.

Yep. Not only do they need to arrest this quickly they need to do it emphatically or cause more damage. A win seems unlikely next week but is actually the bare minimum. We need to be back at parity (both points and %) by round 4 IMO.

Yep, we'll experience the opposite of Brisbane who won round one. As "Crash" Craddock said on the wireless this morning "Being round one and a win over the premiers I reckon that win is worth an additional $M in the coffers for this season as the fence sitters decide to turn up rather than stay home".

Back