Toast No. 7 Heaven: Wanganeen-Milera inks new extension

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably the most attacking role on the ground these days.

Easy ball.

Just have to hit targets when you get it.

There's definitely some easy ball on the rebound, but also have to go back when we're under the pump, which he did the other night against Essendon multiple times. First quarter went back with the flight of the ball to get a fist to it. I look forward to what a year on HB will do for Nas.

AFL trade and contract news: Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera re-signs with St Kilda​

St Kilda young gun Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera has turned his back on a potential move home to sign a contract extension at the Saints. See the exclusive details.

Sam Landsberger, Glenn McFarlane and Jon Ralph

3 min read
April 4, 2023 - 5:43PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

8 comments

00:53
'Extraordinary' dissent calls burns Giants

AFL: In a call that is sure to divide fans, Carlton would claim a 10-point win after being the beneficiary of a highly controversial free kick.

AFL

Don't miss out on the headlines from AFL. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
St Kilda has secured its most precious signature with Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera rejecting a move home to South Australia to remain at Moorabbin.
The Herald Sun exclusively revealed on Tuesday that the No. 11 draft pick had recommitted for a further two years, taking his deal through to the end of 2025.
There was speculation that Wanganeen-Milera could follow the likes of Izak Rankine and Jason Horne-Francis home in what would’ve been a big blow to the Saints’ rebuild.
Wanganeen-Milera was taken with the No.11 pick and was one of the few early picks from the 2021 draft who remained out of contract this season.
Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera is staying at St Kilda. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos

Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera is staying at St Kilda. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos
“Obviously the lure to return home has been there, but I’m really confident with the direction the club is heading and want to be a part of it,” Wanganeen-Milera said.
“I’ve made some strong friends at the club and have had some amazing mentors in Bradley Hill and Mason Wood show me the ropes, so I’m keen to see what comes next.”
The Saints are also armed with salary cap space and came agonisingly close to signing free agent Jordan De Goey (Collingwood) last year.
“We had a lot of interviews, meetings, kind of did all the due protocols I guess just to try and get the best understanding of what it would be like if I went there,” De Goey said after deciding to stay at the Magpies on a five-year deal.
The Wanganeen-Milera coup was seen as a massive show of faith in new coach Ross Lyon after the club’s blistering 3-0 start to the season, which equals St Kilda’s best start since Lyon took the club to grand finals in 2009-10.

Lyon has repositioned Wanganeen-Milera behind the ball this season and his pace and silky skills have been crucial to the club’s blistering ball speed and run off halfback.
Wanganeen-Milera has impressed in the opening rounds of the season. Picture: Getty Images

Wanganeen-Milera has impressed in the opening rounds of the season. Picture: Getty Images
“Nasiah’s work ethic and talent speaks for itself and is something we are confident will only develop further as he spends more time in the senior side,” acting football boss Dave Misson said.
“He has impressed since moving to half-back this season under the guidance of Corey Enright, and while he’s still in the infancy of his AFL career, we see Nasiah right at the heart of our club moving forward.”
The 20-year-old has played 20 AFL games and is averaging 16 kicks this year.
Wanganeen-Milera’s teammates were thrilled when his contract extension was announced as they returned to Moorabbin on Tuesday following Saturday night’s spirited win against Essendon for the club’s 150th anniversary celebrations.
Suddenly the Saints have locked away Wanganeen-Milera until 2025, Max King until 2026 and captain Jack Steele and Rowan Marshall until 2027.
Like Wanganeen-Milera, academy guns Mitch Owens and Marcus Windhager have also recommitted until 2025.
The next big list priority for new Saints list boss Stephen Silvagni will be the signature of 2023 free agent Jade Gresham.

I'd come to grips with the fact that Nas was headed home.

This is a huge surprise.

Nas posted a story on Insta a few days ago and the top comment was Mason Wood messing with him saying “when are you signing??? ✍️”.

After the last few games and him looking like he was loving life out there and then that I was thinking he’d decided to stay.

Not just a very good player, good club man and helping the players. Hope he continues onwards and upwards.
Reminds me of 2021 when Maxy was having a very bad bout of the yips with his goal kicking.

A mate of mine was walking his dog around the outer at Rsea.......he sent me a pic....it was Maxy with Mason Wood by themselves just in front of him.............he said Mason was talking/showing to Maxy re kicking techniques etc.

At the time....I was impressed.

.. said:
Both Redman and NWM would serve the same purpose for us anyway, as a primary rebounding option to replace Smith and allow Dawson to go up the field

The main difference being that Redman wouldn’t cost us anything, while NWM would’ve cost us our seconds. NWM is very good but probably smarter to go the Redman route if possible
hahaha
1: imagine wanting Redman bloke gave away 4 goals on his own on Sat
2: seconds for NWM, someone wanna tell him he's dreaming

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting, seems he was considered a move home.
Bad news re Stocker.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
given the comments of misson RE the professionalism at the club... no one could blame him TBH

given the uncertainty at port and how we are really turning things around ATM its a very smart move to stay. no doubt his manager got him some good $$$

U23s is looking pretty bloody handy on current form…

B: McLennan - Van Es - ****
HB: Wang.-Mil. - Adams - Hotton
C: Byrnes - Phillipou - Connolly
HF: Allison - Caminiti - Sharman
F: Peris - King - Keeler
Foll: Heath - Windhager - Owens​

Plus Bytel, Stocker and Coffield are only just past 23.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back