Family & Relationships No christmas

Remove this Banner Ad

I love Christmas. I come from a large family as does my wife. We generally catch up with most of each side throughout the day.

We alternate between her family and mine for Christmas lunch, then go and catch up with the other side in the late afternoon/evening. Logistically, it can be difficult, with sisters in Baldivis and Mandurah who often want to host. This year, nice and easy. In laws hosting lunch in Fremantle, sister in Lathlain hosting the late shift. Will catch up with 60 to 70 people over the day.

That will not quite do for catching up with everyone, so having an early Christmas lunch a week early to see the in law's maternal side.

Thinking that next year, we will be hosting at our house, so will probably have both sides at the same time.

I tend to not drink very much as I am driving between the houses. Also, I Skype my kids in the States at night, so need to be in a reasonable state.

Last edited:
I'm on the Christmas bandwagon aswell. Love the spirit, the time of the year where people are mostly happy makes you enjoy it more.
Yeah the shopping side of it sucks but most people will get a break from work. Thats what's its all about for me. Lift your feet up and relax with family and friends. The time where you put work aside, what's not to like about that.:)

Tim Minchin explains it best in this song.

Last edited:

Christmas Eve used to be massive, and I suspect it still is. But I ask everyone over in Victoria what they're up to and they go "ahh... nothing?"

I used to go back down south and see all my school mates for Christmas Eve. Everyone would be back in town visiting their folks after a year at uni or pretending to get a game of league for Claremont. It was always huge – lines like a nightclub at 12am for pints at 8pm. It was always fun and you'd end up seeing someone you hadn't for ages, and they were no doubt fat, ugly, somehow good looking, or totally lathered. Usually a combination of the few.

I guess it's a bit like going to your suburban pub on its biggest night, when it more resembles a more brightly-lit club than the place you grab a parma on a Sunday. Think the Hawker on a Tuesday, Claremont on a Thursday quadrupled. We always used to walk back to our houses near the beach from town, and en route was our high school. Remember one year, me and my mate – we hadn't seen each other in the 14 months since school finished – walked around the old place for about two hours reminiscing. Something else.

Then you'd spend Christmas Day hungover to buggery, and you'd have to get your mum to make a dish for you at each relos you visited.

I don't think there'll be much on for me Christmas Eve which is a shame. But oh yeah, used to be fun.

I'm on board Christmas this year.

Having a massive Christmas eve party at my mates.

Then I'm hosting the next day, meaning I don't have to go anywhere AND knowing my family they'll have all ****ed off at 2 after rocking up 11.30.

Gonna be a good day.

Never done Christmas. Agnostic family at best with over the top anti commercial behaviour. I enjoyed the activities at school and summer with friends but the "family Christmas" is foreign to me. I used to crave it as a kid but don't really care as much these days.

I love Christmas. I come from a large family as does my wife. We generally catch up with most of each side throughout the day.

We alternate between her family and mine for Christmas lunch, then go and catch up with the other side in the late afternoon/evening. Logistically, it can be difficult, with sisters in Baldivis and Mandurah who often want to host. This year, nice and easy. In laws hosting lunch in Fremantle, sister in Lathlain hosting the late shift. Will catch up with 60 to 70 people over the day.

That will not quite do for catching up with everyone, so having an early Christmas lunch a week early to see the in law's maternal side.

Thinking that next year, we will be hosting at our house, so will probably have both sides at the same time.

I tend to not drink very much as I am driving between the houses. Also, I Skype my kids in the States at night, so need to be in a reasonable state.
That's massive don't think our family Xmas day lunch ever got over 15 people. Tough now being in WA with no family here at all id love to spend it with them as long as it was a chilled BBQ with no fuss.

Working a night shift on Christmas Eve, finishing on Christmas morning. Going to have Christmas Breakfast with my girlfriend, who's driving off to the country after that to have the day with her family. Might have a long nap and then watch foxtel and drink beer for the rest of the day.

Don't know whether I feel happy or not about it.

Working a night shift on Christmas Eve, finishing on Christmas morning. Going to have Christmas Breakfast with my girlfriend, who's driving off to the country after that to have the day with her family. Might have a long nap and then watch foxtel and drink beer for the rest of the day.

Sounds brilliant.

Christmas Eve used to be massive, and I suspect it still is. But I ask everyone over in Victoria what they're up to and they go "ahh... nothing?"

I used to go back down south and see all my school mates for Christmas Eve. Everyone would be back in town visiting their folks after a year at uni or pretending to get a game of league for Claremont. It was always huge – lines like a nightclub at 12am for pints at 8pm. It was always fun and you'd end up seeing someone you hadn't for ages, and they were no doubt fat, ugly, somehow good looking, or totally lathered. Usually a combination of the few.

I guess it's a bit like going to your suburban pub on its biggest night, when it more resembles a more brightly-lit club than the place you grab a parma on a Sunday. Think the Hawker on a Tuesday, Claremont on a Thursday quadrupled. We always used to walk back to our houses near the beach from town, and en route was our high school. Remember one year, me and my mate – we hadn't seen each other in the 14 months since school finished – walked around the old place for about two hours reminiscing. Something else.

Then you'd spend Christmas Day hungover to buggery, and you'd have to get your mum to make a dish for you at each relos you visited.

I don't think there'll be much on for me Christmas Eve which is a shame. But oh yeah, used to be fun.

Yeah spot on. In my early 20s I loved it, everyone would be back down in Geelong, would be a good night to catch up.

Enjoy it, eventually everyone gets married etc and it kind of goes away.

i have worked night shift the last 3-4 christmas eves finishing at 6am.

doing the same as you this year, wake up do lunch with family and a sleep in the afternoon after that. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm alone in Darwin this xmas, way too expensive to fly over to Perth to be with family, will find an orphan xmas celebration here and do that, because it's better to do something than stay at home miserable in front of bigfooty and sites like beyond blue all day.

i have worked night shift the last 3-4 christmas eves finishing at 6am.

doing the same as you this year, wake up do lunch with family and a sleep in the afternoon after that. :thumbsu:
Yep, have worked the last three. My family is small though, and they are wanting to have the get together on boxing day this year for various reasons.

Just find shift work a bit depressing sometimes.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

No family?

Edit just saw your later post.

Rather work half a day and then get on the piss tbh. Not a huge fan of it, used to enjoy it when I was younger obviously and when I was close to my little cousins but now it's just the typical lunches with my family and then the girlfriends.

Don't buy presents and don't expect them but happy to buy little cousins presents if I see them. Just seems like a load of s**t everyone playing happy family's nothing stopping anyone from catching up all year.

I'm alone in Darwin this xmas, way too expensive to fly over to Perth to be with family, will find an orphan xmas celebration here and do that, because it's better to do something than stay at home miserable in front of bigfooty and sites like beyond blue all day.
I had nine Xmas' as an orphan, always got adopted, always had a whale of a time.

Rather work half a day and then get on the piss tbh. Not a huge fan of it, used to enjoy it when I was younger obviously and when I was close to my little cousins but now it's just the typical lunches with my family and then the girlfriends.
Geezus. How many girls do you have on the side you sly devil? #strayapostrophe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back