Society/Culture Nobody has anything new to say about God.

Remove this Banner Ad

So in response the following link

noting the following study:

Ed Diener and his colleagues dissected a Gallup World Poll of 455,104 individuals from 154 nations. What they found was that in healthy nations (where basic needs are being met, when people feel safe walking home alone at night, etc.), there was no advantage to being religious — both religious and non-religious people reported feeling respected and socially supported, and as a result both reported being happy. But in unhealthy nations, religion offered an advantage, in terms of an uptick in well-being. It ends up that your life circumstances influence the presence and benefits of being religious.

So what do rekon ? If you are in crap country being actively religious tends to push you up the scale from unhappy to happy.
And if you are in a great country USA , AUS Germany Japan being actively religious has the tendency to move you from happy to very happy.

From your article

“For instance, the National Opinion Research Center collected data on church attendance and happiness ratings from 34,706 people from 1972-1996. The data are clear—the more often you go to church, the happier you report your life to be. But of course, there are many motives for attending church and thus, this might not be the best measure of religiosity.”

What do you rekon the author was implying by the above statement?
Were these people already church goers and just became happier more times they went ?or is it a general statement that the more regious active you are the happier you will be ?
As for many motives ?? Not sure what he meant but it’s a social connection anyway you look at it

No but research shows that people that are actively involved in religion are happier on average than those that aren’t. And the main reason is the social connection that goes with it. If you are actively involved in religion then you tend to be actively involved in other things as well.
Shared delusion is powerful.

Shared delusion is powerful.

It legit is, Obie. Doesn't mean the value which it can offer a person in their life is any less. I think humans have an inherent need to mythologise and give status to things to worship. Look at the way people now quote Harry Potter as if it were the bible. We basically replaced thelogy with corporate worship.

It legit is, Obie. Doesn't mean the value which it can offer a person in their life is any less. I think humans have an inherent need to mythologise and give status to things to worship. Look at the way people now quote Harry Potter as if it were the bible. We basically replaced thelogy with corporate worship.
Spelled it wrong but yes Jedi is the true religion.

I couldn't agree more with William Barr on this.

View attachment 769628
Just because you think athiests cant agree on an alternative set of morals (they can by the way but lets assume they cant) doesnt make a christian God real.

God doesnt exist because he physically does not exist. His existance is not determined by if you like or dont like what it means for societys morals. Thats not how reality works.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just because you think athiests cant agree on an alternative set of morals (they can by the way but lets assume they cant) doesnt make a christian God real.

God doesnt exist because he physically does not exist. His existance is not determined by if you like or dont like what it means for societys morals. Thats not how reality works.

In your opinion

In your opinion
Not just mine. Every person who is not a moron has this opinion. And plenty of morons too for that matter.

Reality is not determined by whether humans like the outcomes or not. That would make humans gods. The irony is that if you believe Barr then you dont believe in the christian god. You believe in a god that is controlled by human will making humans the real gods. Barr is basically telling us the christian god is not real and he has created his own religion where humans create their own proxy God.

Every person who is not a moron has this opinion. And plenty of morons too for that matter.

Reality is not determined by whether humans like the outcomes or not. That would make humans gods. The irony is that if you believe Barr then you dont believe in the christian god. You believe in a god that is controlled by human will making humans the real gods. Barr is basically telling us the christian god is not real and he has created his own religion where humans create their own proxy God.

Good to see you included yourself.

Don't ever tell me what I believe. You do not speak for me, you do not speak for Barr and you certainly do not speak for Christians. Back in your box.

I couldn't agree more with William Barr on this.

View attachment 769628

As a non-religious secularist I believe in the 'salad bar' approach. Many good and decent things have been advanced by religions throughout human history. Much of Christianity's moral code is sound. I live by a lot of these values. But not everything is good, so I take what I want and I leave the rest.

There is no God in my life. I don't have a 'spiritual void', I just believe in common decency and the common good.

There is no God in my life. I don't have a 'spiritual void', I just believe in common decency and the common good.
Spot on, empathy is innate IMO, you don't need an external authority to tell you right from wrong, in fact if you need that external authority to set your moral compass you have problems, of course the environment you are raised in can change this for some people.

So what do rekon ? If you are in crap country being actively religious tends to push you up the scale from unhappy to happy.
And if you are in a great country USA , AUS Germany Japan being actively religious has the tendency to move you from happy to very happy.

From your article

“For instance, the National Opinion Research Center collected data on church attendance and happiness ratings from 34,706 people from 1972-1996. The data are clear—the more often you go to church, the happier you report your life to be. But of course, there are many motives for attending church and thus, this might not be the best measure of religiosity.”

What do you rekon the author was implying by the above statement?
Were these people already church goers and just became happier more times they went ?or is it a general statement that the more regious active you are the happier you will be ?
As for many motives ?? Not sure what he meant but it’s a social connection anyway you look at it

You've selectively quoted the same Pew research you mentioned earlier. I was pointing out the much larger and comprehensive analysis (n=455,104) by Ed Deiner et al which mentioned no difference in measured happiness in developed countries.

The meta-analysis (that is the study on the studies) revealed a correlation of .16 between endorsing a religion and reported well-being. This is statistically insignificant. In other words, no worthwhile relationship was found.

So the "fact" that religious people are happier than non-religious people is not borne out by the research. In some circumstances, it may be. But it would tell you very little in terms of predicting the happiness of any random individual.

BTW - this is not an argument for the existence (or non-existence) of God anyway.

Good to see you included yourself.

Don't ever tell me what I believe. You do not speak for me, you do not speak for Barr and you certainly do not speak for Christians. Back in your box.
I didnt tell you what you believe. I told you what you claim to believe is incredibly stupid and illogical. This is just my opinion which im entitled under free speech to express.

Interesting read!

...The album also gained notable attention for the extreme shift of tone from West. Kanye, who considers himself a perfectionist and the greatest artist in human history, even went so far as to specifically request that his team of producers and musicians not have premarital sex while working on Jesus Is King.

West’s discography, which switches genres and sounds frequently, can now proudly boast that it has a gospel album. Though West’s struggle with faith has been public since releasing Jesus Walks in 2004, he also spent a chunk of his career calling himself a god on tracks such as “I am a God.”

The Christ-worshipping Jesus Is King may seem like a total 180, but for those who have kept up with West recently, it’s perfectly expected...

I've never been into his music but he's an interesting fella, that Kanye West. Never a dull moment!

You've selectively quoted the same Pew research you mentioned earlier. I was pointing out the much larger and comprehensive analysis (n=455,104) by Ed Deiner et al which mentioned no difference in measured happiness in developed countries.

The meta-analysis (that is the study on the studies) revealed a correlation of .16 between endorsing a religion and reported well-being. This is statistically insignificant. In other words, no worthwhile relationship was found.

So the "fact" that religious people are happier than non-religious people is not borne out by the research. In some circumstances, it may be. But it would tell you very little in terms of predicting the happiness of any random individual.

BTW - this is not an argument for the existence (or non-existence) of God anyway.

It was from your article. Which may I say was pretty poor.( "But of course, there are many motives for attending church and thus, this might not be the best measure of religiosity.”) Hes made that statement out of the blue so the reader can dismiss that finding ??? Red Flag ?
Then again maybe he's talking religions that aren't social eg budists. I

Are we talking about well being / endorsing a religion?
I have from the very beginning have been talking about the active religious .. eg getting to church / praying/ helping etc. and these people tend to describe themselves as very happy more than those that don’t .

I can endorse going to the gym but not go and don't get the benefits. Someone going to the gym daily is activily participating.

Anywho.. Im just passing on some research from a very reputable source.
Do what you want with it.

Last edited:
I have from the very beginning have been talking about the active religious .. eg getting to church / praying/ helping etc. and these people tend to describe themselves as very happy more than those that don’t .

I would say it has lots to do with "pack mentality" than anything else. You endorse Christianity, you think it's the "truth", hence it makes you happy and being with people (in the church) who share your values makes you happier. You will be a lot happier with people who share your values than those who are indifferent. I am happy when i meet an AFL fan in europe than meeting a soccer fan. Religion is none different, you will be less happy going to a mosque and praying and helping than going to the church and praying and helping, cause you don't share the same values as Muslims although it's basically the same thing.

It was from your article. Which may I say was pretty poor.( "But of course, there are many motives for attending church and thus, this might not be the best measure of religiosity.”) Hes made that statement out of the blue so the reader can dismiss that finding ??? Red Flag ?
Then again maybe he's talking religions that aren't social eg budists. I

Are we talking about well being / endorsing a religion?

I can endorse going to the gym but not go and don't get the benefits. Someone going to the gym daily is activily participating.

Anywho.. Im just passing on some research from a very reputable source.
Do what you want with it.

And I'm doing the same re: research. Just pointing out that the Pew Research Centre says one thing (and noting that the data is now 23 years out of date) and there have been a number of studies since then (listed in the references in my link) that suggest something different.

BTW if regular church attendance does give you a sense of well-being and community, then terrific. The point is it doesn't mean it's the only way to achieve the outcome.

Following you gym analogy - yes, if I can go to the gym regularly, it should lead to better health and fitness outcomes. But again, it's not the only way I can achieve better health and fitness.

I don't doubt people who regularly attend religious service do get a sense of well-being out of doing so. What I do doubt, is the claim that regular church attendees are regularly happier than those that don't. That is why I lean to the meta-analysis which showed at the end of the day it wasn't a great predictor of overall happiness scores. I still maintain social conditions are a far better predictor of happiness than religious activity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back