Opinion Non-Crows AFL 10

Remove this Banner Ad

I did understand and agree with the decision.

We had just come off our worst season in history winning the Wooden Spoon and losing 13 games in a row.

We had an exodus of players and it was pretty evident that our culture was completely shot in 2020. Stengle was picked by a previous regime and cost no real draft capital. Nicks was in charge of rebuilding the culture and thats why he was sacked.

Lets not act like Stengle was a red - hot commodity. Nobody picked him up when we sacked him. 18 teams passed on him during the mid season draft. The cats were perfect for him - they have been the most stable club for the past 16 years - had one of the strongest cultures and had just gone Prelim - GF - Prelim. It cost them no assets to acquire him and it was a low risk high reward pickup for them.

Do you honestly think Stengle would have gotten close to All Australian level if he had stayed at Adelaide?

So to close it out - I have no issues with what a player does off field as long as it translates to winning on the field. IMO - our culture wasn't in a spot where we as a club could have gotten the best out of Stengle. Do you think Port Adelaide was wrong for forcing Stuart Dew into an early retirement in 2006 after what he did in the 2008 Grand Final?
You didn't realise Stengle was a talented small forward (like most on here). If you did, you wouldn't be posting this.

It most certainly is.

Bizarrely the AFL is desperate to copy and enjoy some of the success of the NFL draft. Weight is very much scrutinised there, as it is pertains to physical makeup and applicability for the position they might play in the pros

It’s hard to know what sort of nitwit decided that combine physical testing wasn’t relevant to the public’s engagement with prospects and the draft
It’s none of our business. The public don’t need to know how much a player weighs, that’s simply rubbish. You can tell if someone has the physique to play a certain position both visually and by the results of the various metrics (time trials, agility testing etc) what they are capable of.

You didn't realise Stengle was a talented small forward (like most on here). If you did, you wouldn't be posting this.
I’ll put my hand up and say I didn’t think that Stengle was capable of the level of football he’s produced at Geelong over the past few years.

I thought he was talented but not elite, I do think that he wouldn’t be playing as well if he was still in our side as we are nowhere near as good as Geelong unfortunately.

That's a lot of words to justify a poor take and yet another woeful, harmful club decision.

I think quite a few posters on here (plus the club) simply didn't realise that Stengle was a good player.

Well no. It was a distinct culture change - unless of course you think that our 2019 B&F winner Brad Crouch wasn't identified as a good player. Stengle's accomplice was also shown the door at the end of 2020 - as Nicks was trying to change our culture.

And why did Nicks play him RD 1 if he didnt think he was a good player? Then he gets caught drunk driving and has a 4 game ban and Nicks still brings him in and plays him 11 of the next 12 games? There was never a question of his footy talent.

You gonna question North's ability to know a good player when Thomas joins Geelong and wins the Brownlow?

Club-wise it remains a problem. We simply don't judge talent well enough which is why Murphy and McHenry can become regulars, leadership group candidates/team rev up merchants. It's why Worrell has to wait until injuries open the door for him.

But for every bad example - there is an example where we judge talent well. Look at Max for example. Has played 30 out of a possible 30 games.

Now don't get me wrong - Nicks is a buffoon, but this whole club doesn't identify talent thing is stupid.

Nicks has hinted in some of his comments that his mindset is changing a fraction re talent. Murphy is currently out of the team, Cook retained despite a nothing game last week, Curtin promoted after just one strong SANFL game. So hopefully heading in the right direction.

See now this is just manipulation of events to suit your pre conceived narrative. Nicks aint changed.

Murphy was dropped twice last year.

Cook has had a run of 7 straight games under Nicks in the past.

Curtin promoted after just one strong game? If anything, Nicks has gone backwards in that regard. Soligo, Rachele, TT, Berry, Rowe, Max and McAsey all had their debuts well before Curtin.

re: the weight. I doubt the vast vast majority of male players cared about having their weights listed. They are all Elite athletes. Is there any evidence to suggest that listing weights alone, has directly lead to anxiety and/or eating disorder in male players? Or any other issues? I honestly doubt it. Sure they probably have anxiety over conditioning, performance etc, but specifically having their weight listed? Surely not. Is that even the reason they've stopped doing it? Or is it just to show equality with the AFLW?

In a game that requires physical strength and body work, weight is absolutely relevant. It's part of the PHYSICS (as 1970 pointed out). Sure it isn't the be all and end-all of physical strength or conditioning, but its a factor, and a useful measure to monitor, and interpret. I'm fine with not publishing skin folds, and the test may not be the most scientifically sound test, but again, its just one tool. If a player cant handle their club using it and interpreting it I feel like they're in the wrong industry.

I understand there are probably more significant body shaming / pressures for females related to body size, image etc, but again, they are supposed to be elite athletes. I can see WNBA player weights. I've always thought it is an entirely relevant measure for a fan to know. Instead of hiding it, isn't it better to educate the fans / public about NOT body shaming? Shall we hide a player's race/cultural background in case fans call them racist names?

1715379903567.png

Nicks played him every chance he got. Do you think if he didn't have 3 off field incidents we would have sacked him?

And even before Nicks was our coach I wanted Stengle in the team!!! Kid had X-factor - Here are my thoughts in 2019:

1 change for me - Stengle for Murphy.

Just can't see what others see about Murphy. Average footballer. Reason he was overlooked in the AFL draft. Handy depth but don't think he has a real strength. As I said before - he is another Matty Wright.

Give the Stengle kid a chance. We need some Xfactor.

Oh s**t really? I wasn't home to watch on mine tonight but hoping I have a similar experience tomorrow. I was thoroughly enraged that my 4k Hisense didn't support 4k kayo somehow.
Yup, don’t recall my TV having an update since I last turned it on either, very random but not complaining! It should have been working 2 months ago as their website claimed for my model

Yup, don’t recall my TV having an update since I last turned it on either, very random but not complaining! It should have been working 2 months ago as their website claimed for my model
I had a check on a replay game and no good. Although mine must be the only one not on the website list ha.

It’s relevant to the clubs. Not to the public. Height is still reported isn’t it? Just not the weight.
I think it'd be more accurate to say that height is ""reported"". They'd been fairly consistent for several years, but that has now ended.

Walker and Fogarty have both apparently shrunk 2 centimetres since last season, one of Butts/Murray has shrunk 3 cm, and by far the worst is a 32 year old Brodie Smith apparently growing 5 centimetres in a year. So Smith is now taller than both key forwards, and only one cm shorter than all of Butts, Murray and Worrell. Forgive me for thinking that this isn't quite accurate.

And that's just a few that I know from our club, so god knows how many of these have happened across the whole league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some weird takes from some weird posters on here last night re Willie Rioli. He was awesome last night. Very crafty player. I’d love him at our club.

re: the weight. I doubt the vast vast majority of male players cared about having their weights listed. They are all Elite athletes. Is there any evidence to suggest that listing weights alone, has directly lead to anxiety and/or eating disorder in male players? Or any other issues? I honestly doubt it. Sure they probably have anxiety over conditioning, performance etc, but specifically having their weight listed? Surely not. Is that even the reason they've stopped doing it? Or is it just to show equality with the AFLW?

In a game that requires physical strength and body work, weight is absolutely relevant. It's part of the PHYSICS (as 1970 pointed out). Sure it isn't the be all and end-all of physical strength or conditioning, but its a factor, and a useful measure to monitor, and interpret. I'm fine with not publishing skin folds, and the test may not be the most scientifically sound test, but again, its just one tool. If a player cant handle their club using it and interpreting it I feel like they're in the wrong industry.

I understand there are probably more significant body shaming / pressures for females related to body size, image etc, but again, they are supposed to be elite athletes. I can see WNBA player weights. I've always thought it is an entirely relevant measure for a fan to know. Instead of hiding it, isn't it better to educate the fans / public about NOT body shaming? Shall we hide a player's race/cultural background in case fans call them racist names?

View attachment 1985530
I wonder what Jumbo Ozaki thinks of all this?

I did understand and agree with the decision.

We had just come off our worst season in history winning the Wooden Spoon and losing 13 games in a row.

We had an exodus of players and it was pretty evident that our culture was completely shot in 2020. Stengle was picked by a previous regime and cost no real draft capital. Nicks was in charge of rebuilding the culture and thats why he was sacked.

Lets not act like Stengle was a red - hot commodity. Nobody picked him up when we sacked him. 18 teams passed on him during the mid season draft. The cats were perfect for him - they have been the most stable club for the past 16 years - had one of the strongest cultures and had just gone Prelim - GF - Prelim. It cost them no assets to acquire him and it was a low risk high reward pickup for them.

Do you honestly think Stengle would have gotten close to All Australian level if he had stayed at Adelaide?

So to close it out - I have no issues with what a player does off field as long as it translates to winning on the field. IMO - our culture wasn't in a spot where we as a club could have gotten the best out of Stengle. Do you think Port Adelaide was wrong for forcing Stuart Dew into an early retirement in 2006 after what he did in the 2008 Grand Final?

So what you're saying is we didn't have the culture to support Stengle back then, but we do now to support Thomas.

Is that actually true, or did we "fix" our culture simply by discarding anyone with problems?

View attachment 1985530
Obviously AFLW driven 🙄

I think the motivation behind not announcing player weights or using skinfolds is coming from a good place.

There is an absolute crisis among young men regarding their mental health, and this is really apparent amongst AFL footballers.

That being said, it seems more performative than anything else - a gesture, but something that won't be in any way effective. It's seems a bit pointless, when there's still so many other issues.

Am actually enjoying this? The stunned mullet Geelong supporters deserve every second of this
Good result really.

Could cost Geelong a top four spot. The hubris around the cooked Hawkins equalling Selwood game record made the game secondary

Not a great win for Port given they nearly choked.

The blueprint to beat Port.

Limit JHF impact.
Get past Alir when going forward.
Limit their loose ball.
Don't worry about Butters. Do the first 3 and his 30 plus posession game is meaningless.

Geelong did all this in the second half.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think the motivation behind not announcing player weights or using skinfolds is coming from a good place.

There is an absolute crisis among young men regarding their mental health, and this is really apparent amongst AFL footballers.

That being said, it seems more performative than anything else - a gesture, but something that won't be in any way effective. It's seems a bit pointless, when there's still so many other issues.
It's not the men. It's aflw driven

Good result really.

Could cost Geelong a top four spot. The hubris around the cooked Hawkins equalling Selwood game record made the game secondary

Not a great win for Port given they nearly choked.

The blueprint to beat Port.

Limit JHF impact.
Get past Alir when going forward.
Limit their loose ball.
Don't worry about Butters. Do the first 3 and his 30 plus posession game is meaningless.

Geelong did all this in the second half.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Just put pressure and they crumble which is why they've fail in Finals and been struggling in Showdown. Geelong didn't do this well in the 1st half, Port Power players were loose everywhere so weren't under any pressure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back