Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aussie rules dominates the tv landscape here but will it continue too.

I’m not sure what the correlation is but afl ranks behind soccer, basketball, cricket and netball for kids sports. If less kids play it and the talent and quality goes down hill then I can see it shifting power to basketball
I agree to some extent. The AFL rebranded the code years ago from footy to AFL as Football was seen as soccer and this was eroding the brand. They take the threat very seriously. (I didn't like it). It remains an ever present force.
50% of the population in the big cities are born OS. This is an issue - migration is now through the roof.

This isnt confined to AFL - Rugby takes abig hit. The big Sydney Private Schools used to only play Rugby (not league) and would have about 10 teams. They now have one or two and 10 soccer teams. The AFL has pushed for years to make some inroads.

They just hope the TV rights increase every time. I'm amazed it didn't go backwards this time - surely they are approaching a point where the networks will over-reach, make too much of a loss and back off for next time. I think cricket Australia hit this point recently.
Live sport is super valuable as it's one way for networks to get eyeballs as they lose market share to streaming services. Plenty of people like me don't watch network tv at all anymore unless it's too watch sport.

Live sport is super valuable as it's one way for networks to get eyeballs as they lose market share to streaming services. Plenty of people like me don't watch network tv at all anymore unless it's too watch sport.
I didn't watch network TV at all full stop
Kayo cuts down the ads tremendously, even when it is the channel 7 broadcast.

Sports injuries, particularly concussions.

More and more parents don't want their kids getting brain damage playing football. We're happy to watch it and take our kids to watch a game. But after Auskick, no more footy for you little johnny or sally.

Our daughter starts prep next year, and the local State School where she'll be going, runs Auskick 2 or 3 afternoons a week after school. See AFL is making inroads into QLD schools.
There's also very little correlation between what kids (and adults) play socially and what they want to watch.

If there was, Australia and the US would have been soccer powerhouses decades ago.

Basketball is a bit different but that comes and goes in waves. Anecdotally, I'm 31 and most of my mates were big NBA fans and seldom watched footy when we were teenagers.

Those same guys would hardly watch basketball now but all watch footy. You get older, you have less time, it's not the local sport and you revert to what you know.

Didn’t realise Weller did his knee again. What a disaster of a trade that was for GC in a long line of disastrous trades.

Didn’t realise Weller did his knee again. What a disaster of a trade that was for GC in a long line of disastrous trades.

The principle was sound - you should definitely make a move for players that want to actually go and play at the Gold Coast. And if Weller continued on his projected trajectory, it would have been far from their worst trade.

But it was ultimately pick 2 for a fairly middling player and Freo probably would have accepted pick 18 or whatever it was that was their second rounder at the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sports injuries, particularly concussions.

More and more parents don't want their kids getting brain damage playing football. We're happy to watch it and take our kids to watch a game. But after Auskick, no more footy for you little johnny or sally.

Our daughter starts prep next year, and the local State School where she'll be going, runs Auskick 2 or 3 afternoons a week after school. See AFL is making inroads into QLD schools.

The only state where concussing the inhabitants is likely to improve their intellectual outcomes.

Fixture integrity aye

If I was asked...
Q - David Mundy has flown 919K km for his 376 games. How many has Pendles flown for the same number of games?

A - I would have expected well under 200K, probably around 150K if I'd been given the Mundy figure to use as a basis.

I'm actually surprised that Pendles is as high as it is.

If I was asked...
Q - David Mundy has flown 919K km for his 376 games. How many has Pendles flown for the same number of games?

A - I would have expected well under 200K, probably around 150K if I'd been given the Mundy figure to use as a basis.

I'm actually surprised that Pendles is as high as it is.
Assuming Munday travelled roughly 10 times a year for that number, that's the same as Pendles travelling roughly 2.5 times a year.

Aussie rules dominates the tv landscape here but will it continue too.

I’m not sure what the correlation is but afl ranks behind soccer, basketball, cricket and netball for kids sports.

I reckon streaming is a huge factor in the popularity of degenerate foreign sports. As an NBA or soccer fan in the 90s you'd be lucky to catch the odd highlights package on FTA TV, but now kids can watch games whenever they like and discuss sport in real time with people all over the world, not just that one immigrant kid in your class. There's not much the AFL can do about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back