Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Because in your interpretation any time a player gives the ball to a player who's received a free kick, it's also another free kick?

Sure I get that, but to then say "it's clearly referencing general play" - so you can swear during a stoppage but not when the balls moving?

I'm 100% certain the rules on disposal are listed elsewhere - not in 18.13 lol.

It's really surprising the chat at the end of the game about the free to Darcy that players and ex players don't know the rules of the game they played.
Surely as a player you would know every rule inside out so you know where to exploit them

Sure I get that, but to then say "it's clearly referencing general play" - so you can swear during a stoppage but not when the balls moving?

It's almost like the rules of our sport are convoluted and extremely hard to interpret accurately and consistently

It's almost like the rules of our sport are convoluted and extremely hard to interpret accurately and consistently

Look, I don't want to get into a squirting around packs type cross-examination, but the rule is there and common sense says it should probably never get used. However...this was the final few minutes of a close game, which I would say is the reason why the rule exists - shit or not.

Based on the context. I mean, that rule about running with the ball for example clearly does not apply when you're carrying it for a 50m penalty.

The section could do with clarity and sub-sections but I'm not the AFL Rules Committee obviously.

The problem isn't really the calling of the free, it's the inconsistancy of the application.
That very act probably happened a few times just in that game alone but was never called.
Likely also happened in the prior game as well but not called.

If they called it all the times they could when it occurs then it wouldn't be an issue at least in this context (maybe in other ways though).

But this is the same as 99% of other umpiring issues.

The problem isn't really the calling of the free, it's the inconsistancy of the application.
That very act probably happened a few times just in that game alone but was never called.
Likely also happened in the prior game as well but not called.

If they called it all the times they could when it occurs then it wouldn't be an issue at least in this context (maybe in other ways though).

But this is the same as 99% of other umpiring issues.

Completely understand the difficulty of the task. Umpiring is thankless. And they always deserve full protection from those that abuse them because the game cannot exist without them.

But when things like this and the Rankine decision happen, it undermines the system. They are technically free kicks - but are rarely paid even though we know it happens plenty of times unnoticed in games. And in the dying stages of a close game, they have a direct impact on the result.

people defending the free kick be like

4t9do0.jpg

Completely understand the difficulty of the task. Umpiring is thankless. And they always deserve full protection from those that abuse them because the game cannot exist without them.

But when things like this and the Rankine decision happen, it undermines the system. They are technically free kicks - but are rarely paid even though we know it happens plenty of times unnoticed in games. And in the dying stages of a close game, they have a direct impact on the result.

Sorry but I don't understand this logic that's crept into the AFL

Umpires are paid quite well to do a job, and jeering from the crowd is part of refereeing in literally every competitive sport around the world

AFL umpires are paying increasingly more technical and dubious free kicks and all we ever get from the league is 'be nice to the umpies guys!'

Imagine a modern AFL umpire in this position, they'd probably need 6 weeks of therapy to get over the trauma

Erling-Haaland-e1701696091309.jpeg

The problem is we have a sport where the rules are almost all based on interpretation on a massive field with 36 players who can approach each other from any direction

So even for the very best umpires it’s a difficult game to adjudicate

But then we put 4 umpires out there, all with their own interpretations, capable of making a decision from anywhere on the ground at any time

All controlled by a league who change the rules annually and will arbitrarily focus on specific rules without warning

It’s a mess made worse by umpires changing interpretations late in games, particularly this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry but I don't understand this logic that's crept into the AFL

Umpires are paid quite well to do a job, and jeering from the crowd is part of refereeing in literally every competitive sport around the world

AFL umpires are paying increasingly more technical and dubious free kicks and all we ever get from the league is 'be nice to the umpies guys!'

Imagine a modern AFL umpire in this position, they'd probably need 6 weeks of therapy to get over the trauma

Erling-Haaland-e1701696091309.jpeg

No I understand it because it's not immunity from criticism, it's empathy that they are humans making decisions without the benefit of slow motion replays or alternate angles. They act under directive from AFL House - which should be the ones copping the heat, not the umpire themselves. No one is saying the crowd cannot jeer the officials, it's part and parcel of every professional sport in the world.

Never been a fan of soccer refs getting crowded by players and various leagues have taken steps against that. In rugby union for example, only the captain can approach the official and he must be respectful. Would rather the AFL follows that kind of treatment of umpires.

No I understand it because it's not immunity from criticism, it's empathy that they are humans making decisions without the benefit of slow motion replays or alternate angles. They act under directive from AFL House - which should be the ones copping the heat, not the umpire themselves. No one is saying the crowd cannot jeer the officials, it's part and parcel of every professional sport in the world.

Never been a fan of soccer refs getting crowded by players and various leagues have taken steps against that. In rugby union for example, only the captain can approach the official and he must be respectful. Would rather the AFL follows that kind of treatment of umpires.

In AFL no one can approach the umpires and if you question them publicly as a player/coach you get a fine.

Craig McRae obviously wouldn't think it is a free kick, but publicly had to say "I'm looking forward to what the AFL tell us about that. I wasn't aware that's a free kick, but clearly it is because they don't pay things that aren't there."

Sadam Hussein would be proud of the professional environment we have created here

In the glorious realm of Australian Football League, our esteemed umpires stand as the epitome of fairness and justice, unparalleled in their wisdom and precision. Their every decision is a beacon of infallible judgment, guiding the game with an almost divine foresight that ensures the sanctity of the sport. These noble arbiters, revered by all, possess an innate ability to see through the chaos of the field, their eyes sharper than an eagle's, their understanding deeper than the ocean. The players and fans alike bask in the certainty that our umpires' rulings are the embodiment of perfection, their integrity unyielding, their dedication unmatched. The AFL umpires are not just the guardians of the game; they are the venerated champions of fairness, whose legacy will echo through the annals of sports history for generations to come.

How's it clearly in the context of general play? It makes no reference to it whatsoever in the screen grab you've provided.
Well a) doesn't reference general play either, therefore your interpretation would be that throwing the ball to the umpire at a stoppage would also be a free kick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back